Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calorie count different on auto track swim vs manual log of same exercise

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I swam for the first time with my Ionic. I starting the "swimming" exercise on the screen. The Ionic measured laps and distance covered correctly. However when I synced it I saw that the calorie burn appeared low, based on experience with my previous Charge. So, I entered the same swim information manually via my laptop dashboard and the calorie count was about 60% more - which seemed in line with previous logs. I'm guessing since the watch doesn't measure HR during swim it may default to some low number, rather than calculating time/distance, my body stats and age. I hope this is ironed out in future software updates. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

It's great to have you here @Etheshuffler! Thank you so much for the details that you've mentioned, your feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please check the following to confirm all your data is properly set, so your Ionic can track our swim properly: 

- The intensity of your swim may be different from what you're logging in your Dashboard, this can be why you're not getting the same information

- Have you checked that all your personal information is properly entered in your account? 

- Have you tried tracking swimming again with your Ionic? 

Additionally, you may want to check this article How do I track my swims with my Fitbit device?. There you will find some reasons as why your swim data may be wrong. 

Keep me posted! 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have this same problem! 

I noticed that Fitbit "recommends freestyle" for best tracking, and I suspect this may be the culprit for those of us who swim breast or butterfly. The movement is different and there is greater water resistance in these strokes, making them higher calorie burners. I have generally found that I have to count a manual burn rather than my watch burn, or I'll be starving after a swim thinking I only burned 200 cal. (This coming from a 230 pound 32 year old woman who SHOULD be burning 400 cal / 30 min for breaststroke.) My partner's Samsung Fit2Pro shows his laps (same as mine) and burn at closer to the 400-500 cal range, but we are similar in swim times and total distance. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I swim regularly (3 times a weeks) and I have come across two small issues. Firstly when I sync after a swim the Impact shows a minimal number of impact "steps" for the swim, may be 10 or 15 steps for a 2000m swim. This wasnt an issues until a friend of mine swam with her Iconic san it would show an 'impact' of almost 1000 steps for a similar swim. Now is this just something in the settings that is different on ouw watches? We compared settings and couldn't find any different between the two. Any reason why this might be? 

Secondly, recently after a swim the summary of a swim exercise started to show lap times (which I thought was brilliant as I was disappointed it didn't do it previously). IT shows the first 5 or 10 laps and say see app for full set but when I sync and look on the app or desktop it doesn't show the lap times anywhere? Any advice on where I can see lap times? 

Thanks in advance

Conor 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've never found lap times for swimming recorded anywhere. However, experience has been that if I manually select swimming on my Ionic it will accurately record numbers of laps and of course, total swim time. Since Ionic does not track HR in the water it can't really measure calorie burn aside from estimating that from distance and swim time. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, After a swim when you press the finish button (finishing flag symbol) and the summary of your time, calories, distance comes up, if I scroll down I see lap times. It shoes the first 5-10 laps then says see app for rest of them but dont see them. On the app I now see (new feature) laps with calories per lap used but not times.  

Best Answer
0 Votes