Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories burned during most of exercise flat

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have an Ionic and use it to record hikes, walks, and bike rides. On more than one occasion one looked at the data afterwards to find that the calories burned graph stays level for most of the exercise before starting to look like the expected results. GPS was on and connected during these sessions. Any explanation as to what's going on? Screenshot_20190620-015229.png

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

It's great to see you on the Community @Bgg1. I appreciate the screenshot and the details mentioned. 

It's pretty weird that your calories burned are showing flat for most of the exercise. The amount of calories burned should change through the workout and even though they will show the same at the beginning, there should be a variety at the end. 

I would like you to restart your Ionic and then continue checking your exercise' data. 

l'll be around if you need further assistance. Let me know how it goes. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I have seen such graph many times when Ionic failed to read HR for longer periods of time ( two dashes instead of number on screen ) but it never took that long.

Best Answer
0 Votes

For me what i have found bizarre is I use strava to log my biking, running, etc. and what is perplexing is right after my activity is completed, the fitbit app it shows a nice graph of calories burned per minute, but for some reason when the activity is uploaded in strava the calories burned graph in Fitbit turns into just a flat line

Best Answer

I have an older Surge and only just created a sync between Fitbit and strava yesterday. Prior to that calories burned was variable throughout the ride. After the strava sync it is now a flatline. So maybe strava is writing something back to Fitbit that turns a variable-calories-burned graph into a single value for the duration of the trip?

Best Answer

omg, that seems to exactly my problem, what MickJ wrote.  I've had 'flat top' calorie burns a few times lately.  From what I can work out, it's something to do with Garmin or Strava overwriting the calorie count for the duration of the recorded cycle ride or walk.  Because it never happened before 2 weeks ago,and has happened 4-5 times since I put Garmin Connect on my phone, and only on days when I used the Garmin to record via its link up with Strava.  I get same calorie count for hours (duration of the activity being recorded).  Never before, not from Strava or using GPS on the Charge 4.

Would insert image but can't figure out how...

So I'm guessing that this is a Strava problem at heart.  But how to fix it??

Best Answer

ps: just to update to say that I unlinked Strava & fitbit.  So that way I could keep the Strava+Garmin link -  which enables me to autorecord cycle rides offroad using Garmin, and get that into Strava record, yet not have Fitbit data distorted.

I use Fitbit data as general idea of fitness & health, Strava or Garmin for distances (& the occasional QoM).  

So no great loss to me that Fitbit & Strava don't link up any more.  I didn't need to link Fitbit with the distance calcs or QoMs.  

Still, it's a shame the different systems can't all talk to each other AND keep each other's data accurate.  I'm not sure what would happen if I used GPS on the Charge 4, where that would be recorded to look at (?).  GPS option Zaps the Charge4 battery anyway, I suppose.

Best Answer
0 Votes