Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cardio Fitness Score feature on Ionic?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Will it be able to calculate VO2Max using the SPO2 sensor?

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Fitbit calls this the Cardio Fitness Score/Level but it is actually VO2 Max. Proof.

On the fitbit.com/ionic page, it does list Cardio Fitness Level under design & specs.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

From what I've read, the VO2 max is estimated from cardio and the SpO2 sensor is for estimating blood oxygen levels for tracking health indicators, such as sleep apnea. I don't think they've tied the two together.

Also, I've just been going through the developer guides and can't find access being granted to SPO2 sensor either.

Best Answer

But will we have a VO2 Max estimate on this device? There is a possibility to implement this feature?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Reading around it, I imagine it'll be an in-app feature, rather than a figure on the watch.

Best Answer

Fitbit calls this the Cardio Fitness Score/Level but it is actually VO2 Max. Proof.

On the fitbit.com/ionic page, it does list Cardio Fitness Level under design & specs.

Best Answer

@kenjamin wrote:

Yes, and the way they refer to it suggests that it will be a feature of the app rather than the Ionic, along the same lines as the Charge  2.

Best Answer

@kenjamin wrote:

Now I see. I'm more and more happy that I chose to preorder Ionic. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, and the way they refer to it suggests that it will be a feature of the app rather than the Ionic, along the same lines as the Charge  2.

FWIW, they do call it out in their press release too:

In addition to these new features, Ionic has everything you love about Fitbit – automatically track your steps, calories, floors climbed and sleep stages, see your cardio fitness level (estimated VO2 Max), maintain moments of calm and more.
Hopefully this means it is in app. If it isn't in the OS I'll look into writing a simple app that displays it once I get my Ionic, if the API does expose it. Not seeing that documented yet, but not sure if that falls under the Web API or the Device API or what.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@kenjamin wrote:

FWIW, they do call it out in their press release too:

In addition to these new features, Ionic has everything you love about Fitbit – automatically track your steps, calories, floors climbed and sleep stages, see your cardio fitness level (estimated VO2 Max), maintain moments of calm and more.
Hopefully this means it is in app. If it isn't in the OS I'll look into writing a simple app that displays it once I get my Ionic, if the API does expose it. Not seeing that documented yet, but not sure if that falls under the Web API or the Device API or what.

Yes they call it out but it's the same blurb the relate to with the Charge 2. Looking at the SDK, I don't see anything accessible that remotely looks like VO2 data. I'm thinking they'll just plot what they estimate from HR data, along with any GPS data that matches a particular workout.

Best Answer
0 Votes

CardioScore aka VO2max is only available in the app (and not web dashboard). When you buy Charge 2 or Blaze you get a "feel good" score, well, not a score but a range of scores. To get a more accurate estimate, you need at least one run, sometimes several, with at least 10 minutes on flat ground. Cycling is not supported, you must run to get a more accurate estimate. Last I looked on the Charge 2 forums, there were reports that slower and/or longer runs would bring your score down. Hope that has changed, I don't know. Finally your results are not graphed over time. Wareable.com saw inconsistent results, and ranked it below devices that used Firstbeat technology to estimate VO2max for running. My bike computer has Firstbeat and it works well, they have a patent on automatically extracting good data so you don't need to do anything special to get a score. It does need a few weeks to get accurate estimates, otherwise it just works and Garmin lets you graph trends over time.

We could be surprised when Ionic launches, but I suspect VO2max is 'feature complete' and the Ionic will get the same VO2max as Charge 2 and Blaze. And that means don't expect API access, its an app only exclusive.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

Check out page 44 of the manual. Actually I think this confirms it displays on the phone, not the Ionic.

Best Answer

as expected, thanks for sharing the manual link.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer