Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Condensation Buildup in Sensors

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Has anyone had issues with the waterproofing on the Ionic?  Someone commented on Facebook that they "heard" this was a problem from a reviewer friend.  But, I've seen nothing on it. 

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes
109 REPLIES 109
I agree they should honor it. This is why after this one dies on me because
we know it will ... I will never ever invest in a Fitbit again.
Best Answer
Having gone through several issues with Ionic including leakage, I can't
believe Fitbit hasn't acknowledged that their device has serious
reliability issues and done something for the victims who paid big money
for the watch. I'm still using one but I don't swim with it on even though
it's supposed to be water resistant for swimming. Sad.
Best Answer

Since I got my first replacement, I never trusted to go swimming with it again, however, for a few weeks it wasn’t feeling right when I was tapping it? As if it had air behind the screen? Anyway the screen ended up falling off...so o contacted Fitbit who offered a replacement or 50% off a brand new watch. I went for the replacement and then sold it, I’m back to my original flex for now until I save up for a garmin! 

Best Answer

Wow! They were quick to remove that comment! So they obviously are watching and reading!! Fix your product Fitbit then we won’t have to sit and complain about it! 

Best Answer
Agree - Fitbit - Fix the product and help your victims who bought your
defective merchandise!
Best Answer

Apparently their 1 year from date of purchase is pretty much all they’ll say in an email if you have some issue. Then they may even offer a “complimentary” glorified coupon for a messed up watch. 

I say this because im currently dealing with my ionic working for just over a year, and now my battery won’t even hold charge for a day before dying. It coincidentally happened shortly after the last time I saw in a pool recently. 

Best Answer

I agree there is a waterproofing issue with the Ionic. My sister’s started glitching several months after she got it. She regularly swims for exercise, but it still worked as a watch. Just after 12 months, it stopped working completely—- would not reset, would not recharge. I said call the company anyway, because it was defective way before 12 months. She did; after almost an hour of talking thru layers of “customer service” they offered her a “goodwill” 20% off a new Fitbit. She said thanks, but no thanks, I don’t trust your product 80% enough to buy another. She gives me the dead Fitbit because I said I’d try to fiddle with it and let my kids use it as a watch. I toss it in a drawer and forget it. In quarantine now & cleaning out  the drawers, I find it, plug it in and it starts charging! It’s been working fine for almost a week on of my kids—- no showers, no water I warned. I live in a drier climate than my sister, so I suspect it was waterlogged inside and it took months for it to dry out and it’s ok now. I still won’t buy a Fitbit, but I’ll use the secondhand freebie. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
That’s good that it worked out for you but not through any correct behaviour from Fitbit. As I may have stated, my eventual solution was to just absorb the cost of the Ionic and move to second-hand Garmin sports watches. To be honest, I have found Garmin to be a far superior product, however I no longer even wear my Garmin in a (power) shower - I just don’t trust that if the jet from a power shower were to strike a pinch point like the surround of a button even for a fraction of a second etc that maybe this could allow water to be forced in. Electronics and even tiny amounts of water do not mix so I just don’t risk it. Hope you get some value from the Ionic even if belatedly.

Sent from a smartphone
Best Answer

I swam for too long and the condensation showed up. Im used to using the bowl of rice cause I've dropped my pbone in the tub while picking up me neice a few times.  It does get it to come back to life im just more cautious on how long I swim and how tight its on

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had an issue with moisture getting into the display and ruining it so that it touch screen was receiving random inputs by itself without being touched. This caused the watch to constantly "lockout" since when the PIN screen came up, it was receiving ghost inputs of the incorrect PIN. I submitted photos to Fitbit support showing moisture building inside the screen and that there was no compromise to the metal body no damage anywhere including the screen. I've never swam or showered with the watch on, but did gently wash it under running water. I suspect the seal around the left and/or right buttons were the entry points to the moisture getting in. Fitbit neither acknowledged or explained the cause. They send me a refurbished replacement (this was a few months ago), and I've not had the issue recur. It could exist with certain batches of the watch or all, who knows? This company has been highly nontransparent which makes it a crapshoot for community feedback to inform quality control for this and future products. 

Best Answer
0 Votes