Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating an "e-bike" profile

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Dear Fitbit,

I have an e-bike (Moustache with Bosch motor) and although I am very happy with my Fitbit purchases, first a Blaze and now lately an Ionic I am pretty sure traveling at 40 km/h takes less calories when riding an electric bike than a regular bike.

Would it be possible for Fitbit, in all your wisdom, to make  a electric-bike Profile? Or a the possibility to make more "custom" versions of each profile? The possibility to adjust down the calorie counter a little for e-bike riding compared to regular bike riding.

Thank you for being the number one manufacturers of smart waches.

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Hi @MartiniGM,

We see a lot of requests for different workout profiles--CrossFit, BodyPump, the list goes on.  Of the available profiles, seem to be the most common exercises. You could always request one in the Feature Suggestion board.

I see no reason why you couldn't log the e-bike under the Bike profile. The calories burned, in my experience, are more influenced by your heart rate than profile. So if you are using your e-bike and using a lot of assist, your heart rate will naturally be lower, and with less assist you'll have a higher heart rate, and more calories burned. Hope this helps.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

Added to what @WavyDavey has said, you can create a custom activity with associated calorie burn (google will help there!), and then log your E bike as a Workout, then afterwards edit the workout to your custom E bike activity (on the app or dashboard)

Then go to the Fitbit website Dashboard (not the app) and tap the top of the Recent Exercise tile. A little thing will drop down on the bottom of the tile. Tap See More which is on the right side. A new page comes up. Move right to the bottom of this new page to the box titled Activities which is on the right side at the bottom. On the bottom of this box, in blue and small print it says Create Custom Activity. Tap that and a box comes up. Put in the title of the Activity and then fill in the start time and duration of you latest session, fill in the calories burnt and hit log. You have now created your custom activity. Bit of a trial, but you only have to do it that way once.

Next time you want edit the workout you recorded on your Ionic, on your phone go to the fitbit app and tap the exercise tile (the running man). On the screen that comes up select the workout you want to edit and select the pencil icon at the top. Take out the Workout title and start to type in EBike (or whatever you called your custom activity) and select it off the list that drops down.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Thank you @WavyDavey and @NellyG for your very good answers. 

I will look in to your suggestions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would expect calorie burn to be more similar to sitting at a desk, or slow walking. I’d suggest logging as bike and then compare to other activities. 

In in my experience, all the optical HRMs on the wrist have bad accuracy when cycling. DCRainmaker tested the Ionic and the worst HR problems occurred on downhill segments, when he wasn’t pedaling and wrists were moving due to bumps in road. Best HR accuracy was long climbs with steady exertion and lower speeds. Your results may differ. 

If you get a lot of steps while riding e-bike, that may influence calorie burn. 

You will need to experiment and review results. 

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

Just want to share my experience with ebike and Fitbit charge 2

I have been riding my good old bicycle to work everyday and on my

morning route( mostly uphill) I log about 170 - 190 calories burned.

Now I’ve bought an Ebike, and logging exactly the same route sets my calorie burn to 75-85 - it still auto logs my ‘workout’ to ‘outdoor bike’. My afternoon home trip has almost the same calories burned on old bike and new bike, but as that is mostly downhill ( and thus not much assist on ebike) that actually makes sense. Hope this is helpful for some.

Best Answer

@Uptodate Thankyou! That is very interesting!

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

agreed.  I ride an e bike a lot and always wondered if i was getting inflated or accurate results.  This thread cleared up a lot.

Best Answer

Trying to add custom ebike activity. I did it on a prev inspire 2, dont recall now. If I log into fitbit.com. tap top of 1st tike all I get is a settings icon below it. If I select it. It gives me the option to remove tile only?? I have removed  1 activity frm the app, now only have 5.

Best Answer
0 Votes