Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have any feedback about the quality of Ionic?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have been a user of the Charge Fitbit and have loved the features, unfortunately my last few have broken after about a year with the wrist band breaking and then the sensors went.  I want to get another one and upgrade to either the Ionic or apple series.  I like the Ionic features better and it fits my needs but I am extremely concerned about the quality of watch staying intact.  Does anyone have any feedback?  

Thank you, 

VJ

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
27 REPLIES 27

@Vcharge17 wrote:

I have been a user of the Charge Fitbit and have loved the features, unfortunately my last few have broken after about a year with the wrist band breaking and then the sensors went.  I want to get another one and upgrade to either the Ionic or apple series.  I like the Ionic features better and it fits my needs but I am extremely concerned about the quality of watch staying intact.  Does anyone have any feedback?  

Thank you, 

VJ

Keep in mind only a very-very few Ionic devices have been reported to have shipped at this point, so there is virtually zero long term data available.  That said, two of the most significant issues of previous trackers are the breaking of the bands and lack of water resistance; those two issues appear to have been addressed with the Ionic as it has replaceable bands and is waterproof to 50 meters (164 feet).

For my part, even though I've had some challenges with my Surge, I am betting the Ionic will be a significantly better and more robust device.

Best Answer

Thank you for your response.  I know there is limited data I guess I am wondering how things have been going with the blaze. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@shipo wrote:

For my part, even though I've had some challenges with my Surge, I am betting the Ionic will be a significantly better and more robust device.

The Ionic is pretty much, as I see it, an improved version of the Blaze with a different style of wristband and built-in GPS instead of using a Bluetooth connection to your phone's GPS. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DonaldMReif wrote:

@shipo wrote:

The Ionic is pretty much, as I see it, an improved version of the Blaze with a different style of wristband and built-in GPS instead of using a Bluetooth connection to your phone's GPS. 

I suppose that's one way of looking at it; I prefer to look at it as a super Surge which also includes some Pebble and Blaze DNA.

Best Answer
0 Votes

A lot of the displays are based on the Blaze. It's got all the Blaze's options for clock displays and the display when you're in an active workout is lifted from the Blaze.

@shipo wrote:

@DonaldMReif wrote:

@shipo wrote:

I suppose that's one way of looking at it; I prefer to look at it as a super Surge which also includes some Pebble and Blaze DNA.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Overall quality looks promising, because of the aluminum frame and removable bands. However as with any modern electronic device, displays can break. And the water resistance spec doesn't include a list of supported water activities, hoping to see that updated as per international standards Fitbit is required to list water activities that are covered by the warranty. Not saying Fitbit won't stand behind warranty claims for water damage, its just oddly missing from the water resistance specification.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

I have not had any real quality issues with the Blaze. I got the pink band one and it got dirty quickly...so they sent me out a new frame and slim pink band. Other then that, all has been well. I gave it to my mom and she's been fine 👍🏻

Best Answer
Thank you for your feedback - how long have you had the blaze?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had my blaze since it came out and I have never had an issue with it.

But I did buy extra bands to change out. I plan on doing that with the Ionic as well.

But then again I still have my surge that is way older and the band is still in excellent shape.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

A year maybe ? I make a point to keep it out of the bathroom when showering ( I can't imagine that hot steam can do any good to small electronics like that)

but I've worn it while giving my kids baths, tossed it in my purse while grocery shopping and such. It was still fine 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Vcharge17 wrote:

Thank you, 

VJ

Well you can go by Fitbit's track record on quality with their past trackers, which as you know isn't so good if you want to be a realist.

Or you can be an optimist and take a 300 dollar gamble.....

I would wait 6 months or so to see if this is really going to save Fitbit or not. If you buy one and Fitbit goes belly up a few months later, you'll have a completely useless $300 tracker with no recourse to get your money back.

Let others be the beta testers 😉

Best Answer

@Crazy-Fritter wrote:

@Vcharge17 wrote:

Thank you, 

VJ

Well you can go by Fitbit's track record on quality with their past trackers, which as you know isn't so good if you want to be a realist.

I would wait 6 months or so to see if this is really going to save Fitbit or not. If you buy one and Fitbit goes belly up a few months later, you'll have a completely useless $300 tracker with no recourse to get your money back.

I have a friend that preorderd the ionic and he's a serious athlete. I know he'll put the ionic through its paces and I'm going to let him be my beta tester. I'm almost certain the watch will go on sale this Black Friday and I'll pick one up then if it lives up to the hype. I don't think fitbit is going belly up any time soon; if for no other reason than this:https://www.wired.com/story/bored-with-your-fitbit-these-cancer-researchers-arent/?mbid=social_twitt...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Crazy-Fritter wrote:

It's no secret I'm a "Glass is half-full" kind of guy, that and I run upwards of two to three hundred miles per month which includes LOTS of Surge destroying sweat; I'm betting on the Ionic.  🙂

Best Answer

I had a fitbit flex before I got my blaze when it was launched.  Some minor issues with the Flex, but none with the Blaze.

I have more gripes about the Web UI and charting/data capabilities than with the watch itself.  I workout 5+times a week, and have had kettlebells and other items hit/bump against it without issue.  I do not shower or swim with it though.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@shipo wrote:

@Crazy-Fritter wrote:

It's no secret I'm a "Glass is half-full" kind of guy, that and I run upwards of two to three hundred miles per month which includes LOTS of Surge destroying sweat; I'm betting on the Ionic.  🙂

Wow, your milage totals make me feel like a slacker. Keep us posted on what you think. It looks like you're going to be my second beta-tester. Smiley Happy

Best Answer

@datalore wrote:

Wow, your milage totals make me feel like a slacker. Keep us posted on what you think. It looks like you're going to be my second beta-tester. Smiley Happy

Thanks, I'm old so I figure it's run or die.  🙂

I saw a quote somewhere which said, "My goal is to run so fast I can chase the Grim Reaper down, beat him up, take away his scythe, and make him cry."  I've kind of made that my motto.  

Best Answer

@shipo wrote:

@datalore wrote:

I saw a quote somewhere which said, "My goal is to run so fast I can chase the Grim Reaper down, beat him up, take away his scythe, and make him cry."  I've kind of made that my motto.  

I'm stealing your quote and you've inspired me to run more. I've been trying and putting in the time, but I'm currently in the front seat on the struggle bus. Smiley Happy

Best Answer

@shipo wrote:

@datalore wrote:

Haha excellent quote, and great achievement for you. I run just as far.... But only in my dreams.... 🙂 I've set myself a goal to start running with the ionic, I'm hopeful someone will develop a C25K style app for it. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

@N8teGee wrote:

Haha excellent quote, and great achievement for you. I run just as far.... But only in my dreams.... 🙂 I've set myself a goal to start running with the ionic, I'm hopeful someone will develop a C25K style app for it. 

Hmmm, good idea.  I coach a lot of folks doing the C25K program, maybe I'll take a crack at doing one for the Ionic after I've done a few easier ones.  🙂

Best Answer