Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does display stay illuminated?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Does display on the Ionic stay on at all times or does is spend most of its time blacked out as with the Blaze?

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Yes. In the DC rainmaker video there are times the screen goes off and he has to wake it again. He pushes the button, but I assume it will also feature the quick view function too.

I have the Blaze and the raise wrist to view function is pretty decent. There are times when it does accidentally illuminate, but in general I find it to be very good. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
46 REPLIES 46

As far as I can tell it' the same as the blaze. Raise your wrist to activate it. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

Did you get that from one of the videos you watched?  I ask because ll of the videos I've seen so far show the display illuminated full-time.

I've never used a Blaze; anybody have any comments about how intuitive the auto-illuminate function is?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes. In the DC rainmaker video there are times the screen goes off and he has to wake it again. He pushes the button, but I assume it will also feature the quick view function too.

I have the Blaze and the raise wrist to view function is pretty decent. There are times when it does accidentally illuminate, but in general I find it to be very good. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Best Answer

@N8teGee wrote:

Thanks much!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@shipo To conserve battery, the Ionic display turns off when not in use and can be turned back on by pressing the button or using our Quick View wrist gesture, as explained here

I personally enjoy the feature and find it super convenient. Hope this helps to clarify!

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

@ErickFitbit wrote:

@shipo To conserve battery, the Ionic display turns off when not in use and can be turned back on by pressing the button or using our Quick View wrist gesture, as explained here

I personally enjoy the feature and find it super convenient. Hope this helps to clarify!

Thanks, I guess I'm just spoiled by the always-on mode of the Surge.

Best Answer

I'm in the medical field and I need the seconds on the display to stay illuminated for longer than 3 seconds. Ideally, it needs to stay illuminated for 10-15 seconds so I can calculate pulse & respiratory rate in my patients. I'm just curious if they have finally added this feature with the ionic.

Best Answer

I understand the Iconic will be like the Blaze and not like the Surge. Please reconsider or make an option for always on. I like a watch that is always on, but don't want two devices. I have enjoyed my surges for the past couple of years. I would live to upgrade to Iconic, but not at the expense of a "watch" that's always on. 

Thanks for the consideration. 

Moderator edit: updated for clarity

Best Answer

I'm in the same boat, I like the fact my Surge is always on; that said, I'm upgrading to the Ionic; hopefully the auto-on feature is intuitive enough to make me not regret the upgrade.

Best Answer

I have the Charge 2 and the auto off display is annoying when at the gym. it

might sound painless to lift your wrist or push a button but the reality is it gets very tedious in my opinion. I use the workout and weights function as well as the stopwatch and sometimes you just want to glance down and it be on. I know it's a battery life trade off but an option to override when in workout mode would be better. For that reason I'm not upgrading to the Ionic. Shame because it looks cool. 

Best Answer

@Aibonator Thanks for your feedback. I recommend creating an Ionic specific Feature Suggestion idea and making sure to vote for it. Once you've created that, please share it here so others who are interested may vote on it as well. Thanks again for the feedback, I will make sure to relay it to our product development team.

Best Answer

I'm not sure of the demographic they are shooting for with the Iconic, but I have to feel that there are a lot of 50 year olds that grew up with watches, but are interested in staying in shape and keeping up with technology somewhat as well.  Having a device that does all these things well has made the Surge the #1 rated device by many, like Consumer Reports, for two years running.  Amazing for a technology with so much competition!  I suspect there are a lot more 50 year olds willing and able to pay $300 for a device than 20 year olds that don't really care as much about the always on.  It certainly seems like something that should be able to be made a software option on the device.  If it meant charging every day, I could certainly live with that.  I would just want it to last one whole day.  

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

@shipo wrote:

I guess I'm just spoiled by the always-on mode of the Surge.

@shipo: Trade-off between monochrome/relatively dim/lower res. display of Surge and color/brighter/higher res. display of Blaze/Ionic.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Dominique wrote:

@shipo wrote:

I guess I'm just spoiled by the always-on mode of the Surge.

@shipo: Trade-off between monochrome/relatively dim/lower res. display of Surge and color/brighter/higher res. display of Blaze/Ionic.

Yup, I'm well aware of the differences; personally I'd opt for an always on non-color display.  Failing that, I'd opt for a dim always on display which can brighten as the Surge does at the expense of some battery life.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, speaking as a 50+ user, currently using an AW but previously had a Blaze, I'm more than at ease with auto-on as a means of viewing my watch. The only down side is at night, when I have to disable it. I'm not envisaging any problem with the Ionic in this respect.

Best Answer

Well, speaking as a 70+ user, I am perfectly happy with the auto-on feature, and have no desire for the display to be on all of the time. Since the Ionic will have the feature to disable the Quick View when desired, and then re-enable it when desired, this will correct the problem of it coming on when sleeping as well.  I'm looking forward to being able to put the Ionic through its paces!

Best Answer

@shipo the Surge and Ionic have entirely different technologies when it comes to sisplays. The Surge uses LCD and has no illumination by itsrlf. Tgats why it can stay on and why it has a backup light that activated with Quick View.

The Ionic can only be read when the display is illuminated, and uses a lot more power.

Best Answer

Hi everyone -- I merged a thread asking about keeping the Ionic display ON for workouts here. If you've just joined this thread via my merge, I recommend checking out my latest response here. Thanks for your feedback and I am looking forward to seeing your Ionic specific Feature Suggestion in this thread.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I regret moving to the Charge 2.  The always on display was terrific, and the the Charge 2's display means I still have to wear a watch. I carry the charge in my purse.

Best Answer
0 Votes