Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Ionic have interval timer?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Will the Ionic have a interval timer for running?  i.e. 3 minutes run 1 minute walk?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @sheid27 & @mcowan33,

Yes! The Ionic has support for Multi-Sport modes, one of which is Interval. I use this timer on the Fitbit  Charge 2 currently and it works well.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
19 REPLIES 19

I sure hope so!! I've been waiting for it! I almost switched to a Garmin for it but it was so un-user friendly. I much prefer Fitbit but it's lacking the interval timer! But I'm definitely wanting a new fracker and the interval timer has to be included. 

Best Answer

Hi @sheid27 & @mcowan33,

Yes! The Ionic has support for Multi-Sport modes, one of which is Interval. I use this timer on the Fitbit  Charge 2 currently and it works well.

Dave | California

Best Answer

This makes me so happy!! And you can set it for any interval you want?

Best Answer
0 Votes

There will be some limitations. For the Charge 2, you can make a work or rest period up to 20 minutes, and repeat the interval up to 20 times. That's more than enough for my use. Haven't touched an Ionic, so I could be wrong. But usually the newer models of trackers have the same functions as older ones, but with new features added.

Hopefully Fitbit will publish the owner's manual for the Ionic on the site soon, so we can confirm these features for certain. 🙂

Dave | California

Best Answer

Do you know if the Ionic will offer more interval options?  I have the Charge 2 and it only lets me set 2 intervals.  I'd really like to be able to set a 5-minute warm-up interval, then my HIIT intervals, and then a 5-minutes cool-down period as well.  Right now, I have to watch the clock for warm-up, then start my interval session, then have to watch the clock for cool-down (though, that's not as key a need as a timed warm-up session would be).

Also, if I had more interval options, I could use my Fitbit for my Couch-to-5K training as well instead of having to use a specific App (mine tends to be buggy...)

Best Answer

Hi @Victoria_Peach,

That's a good question. I have no idea if the interval support will add features beyond what the Charge 2 is doing now. With a HIIT workout, I start a Workout mode on the tracker, do the warmup (and have to pay attention to the clock as you do). Then I stop the Workout and start the Interval mode. I either do cooldowns during the last couple of intervals, or just don't track them.

What I do feel more confident saying, is that when the Ionic app store opens and people start developing applications for the watch, it seems inevitable that interval apps will start appearing. And those will be much more sophisticated that what we have now.

So one way or another, I think we'll be in for some cool stuff with the Ionic.

Dave | California

Best Answer

The Interval Timer works perfectly. You can set it from 10 seconds to 24 hours...

I'm currently using 30 seconds Move and 15 seconds Rest for 10 iterations.. = 7.5 minutes. 

At 77 depending on how I feel, I stop and start again..

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @WaveyDavey,

Thanks for your response. Does this mean that users can set their own interval specifications for custom interval workouts or only used pre-programmed interval settings? And do you know if it is possible to repeat circuits of different length intervals (i.e.: interval 1 = 1min on / 1 min off; interval 2 = 2 min on / 1 min off; repeat). Thanks again!

heelrider

Best Answer
0 Votes

@heelrider wrote:

Hey @WaveyDavey,

Thanks for your response. Does this mean that users can set their own interval specifications for custom interval workouts or only used pre-programmed interval settings? And do you know if it is possible to repeat circuits of different length intervals (i.e.: interval 1 = 1min on / 1 min off; interval 2 = 2 min on / 1 min off; repeat). Thanks again!

heelrider

Unfortunately, at the moment you could only do 1 interval setting. Here's how it looks.My settings for HIIT sprintsMy settings for HIIT sprints

Best Answer

Thanks for your response @CopperWolf808. I've never owned a Fitbit, but in your experience how often do updates and new features become retroactively available? Ie if Fitbit releases new interval settings (or, say, Spotify connectivity) would the older model Ionics be able to update to gain access? Does Fitbit have a history of such updates? Thanks again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@heelrider wrote:

Thanks for your response @CopperWolf808. I've never owned a Fitbit, but in your experience how often do updates and new features become retroactively available? Ie if Fitbit releases new interval settings (or, say, Spotify connectivity) would the older model Ionics be able to update to gain access? Does Fitbit have a history of such updates? Thanks again. 

You're welcome @heelrider love to help when I can. This is actually my first Fitbit but the posts I have read, even if you have a "older model" fitbit you still get updates. For example, I just read somewhere in the community they were talking about when the blaze had a firmware update for the sleep stages.

A few days after I got my fitbit/A few days after the preorder release we had got a firmware update which was 09/29 but haven't gotten one since than (well I haven't atleast) but I feel like we will soon.

Best Answer

@heelriderThis link will show you how often Fitbit release firmware upgrades. It has every Supported Fitbit, but as the models get older we suffer like anyone using a technology product. Unfortunately not all upgrades address the issues that some users are having.

@CopperWolf808I'm using the Interval Timer and find it helpful and again replicate your post..... there is only 1 complete cycle. I set mine to a 10 minute Move and Rest cycle. I'm trying to maximise and measure the effect of 10 minute interval walking.

@CopperWolf808 wrote:

@heelrider wrote:

You're welcome @heelrider love to help when I can. This is actually my first Fitbit but the posts I have read, even if you have a "older model" fitbit you still get updates. For example, I just read somewhere in the community they were talking about when the blaze had a firmware update for the sleep stages.

A few days after I got my fitbit/A few days after the preorder release we had got a firmware update which was 09/29 but haven't gotten one since than (well I haven't atleast) but I feel like we will soon.

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

What is the max cycles the Ionic will do? I am looking for interval running 45 sec on 30 sec rest. I would like this to repeat for as long as I need it but I heard there is a max of 20 cycles? That wouldn't be enough for a 5k run. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @QuiltyGirl,

Welcome to the Forums.

I just checked the Interval for Ionic can have up to 49 repeats. Unfortunately, as I see in the app, the minimum rest and work time is 1 minute?  No more Tabata?

Scratch that, in the Windows app the rest period is minimum 1 minute. In the android app, you can set it down to 1 second.

Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

@QuiltyGirl It gives you 49 cycles. That shows as 98 when you activate, an iteration for every Move and Rest.  I also use the GPS setting with that. So 61 minutes for your settings

@QuiltyGirl wrote:

What is the max cycles the Ionic will do? I am looking for interval running 45 sec on 30 sec rest. I would like this to repeat for as long as I need it but I heard there is a max of 20 cycles? That wouldn't be enough for a 5k run. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So if I’m using this for a marathon with a run/walk ratio of 5 minutes running to 1 minute of walking i would need to finish in under 5 hours. Is there any reason there isn’t a continuous repeat option?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello.  Thanks for the screenshot.  I see it says repeat (and you chose 11).  Can that be set to unlimited?  I'm training for a marathon and doing run/walk so 1 min run/30 sec walk.  I need that to repeat for about 5 hours.  Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried using the interval timer on my Ionic during a swim workout and found it to be unusable.  Is this watch actually for athletes?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don’t see this option in my app for thr iconic 

Best Answer
0 Votes