Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does your Ionics GPS cause your music to dropout / skipping / pausing

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm having a lot of issues with my Ionic with the music dropping in and out while running. Its not all the time which makes it frustrating but seems to be getting worse. I tested the watch on 2 sets of Bluetooth headsets and the problem was their with both my Plantronics back beat Go2 and backbeat fit. On 2 separate occasions the music was dropping out on every backswing of my arm which made me think it was a sensor interfering with blue Bluetooth and also because if I held the watch/arm up flat/horizontal the music had good connection. But in saying this, I could go for a 20min run and it would play up on the first 10min and be fine for the next 10min. The drop outs can vary, be every 1 or 2 seconds to 1 or 2 every 30sec.

Today I finally went for a run with the GPS turned off (and at a time it was playing up) and the problem was gone! BUT this will need to be tested on a few more runs to confirm its the issue. I also just noticed my watch battery is at 30% and do wonder if that interferes with the Bluetooth strength as well.

Any Help and Feedback would be greatly appreciated 

Glenn

Best Answer
67 REPLIES 67
Thank you so much for the info!!!! Maybe their next software update...or
gen 2 will fix this problem
Best Answer
0 Votes

BTW: I hope everyone here has a support case open with Fitbit.  Otherwise... I'm afraid this will not be fixed if only a few people report the issue via support.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you. So maybe it is the flyer headset.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the good ideas to bring it. I know a lot more. 🙂

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issues and weirdly enough, think I found a solution.  I used to think that I could play the music for a few minutes first before activating the run program, but that wasn't consistent.  I wear my watch on my left arm.  It would skip when I ran, but not when I raised my arm closer to the headset.  So, I switched the Ionic to my right arm and it hasn't skipped again.  Guessing the bluetooth receiver is n the right side of the headset (?) and is now closer to the Ionic -> no interruption.  Unsure if it'll work for you, but hoping it will.  Incredibly frustrating.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Same solution here. I have a couple bluetooth headsets and they all have their antennas on the right side. I wonder if that's the standard for Bluetooth. Wearing the watch on the right side resolved any issues, even though I dont find it ideal. Bluetooth range should be more than a couple feet.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue as everyone else. I have to say, with this issue and the 2 unresolved issue for strava an starbucks app, I'm afraid that I should have paid more for a garmin. Its pretty bad that the whole reason I chose this unit was listening to pandora and strava. Stave does sync up, but doesn't display on the iconic itself. music drops when running, with GPS and without GPS.  I'm going to try the full charge before my run to see if that helps. I did buy my wife the versa, but it doesn't have GPS for me. Figured since this unit was out for awhile, it wouldn't have these type of issues. And support has stopped communicating with me on my 2 open cases. I guess I should have read the forums on this product. Pretty disappointed with fitbit. 

Best Answer
This is a hardware problem and Fitbit knows it. I bought Ionic when it first came out and Fitbit doesn’t fix any problem on Ionic. I hope you only paid $149 and not $299 like most of us.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yep, only $149.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Ionic also drops several beats when wrist is down while running outdoors.

How do you open a case and what kind of help do you get?

I've had the Ionic for 1 month.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Go to Fitbit web-site and look for service. Others may be able to help
more. I never really filed a formal case.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I tried talking to tech support many times and I said don’t waste your time. They want to run bunch of testes with you then ask you to return the watch back to them since this is a rare and unusual problem (which is a lie). Long story short this is my 3rd Ionic and every one of them have the same problem. Music skips while gps is on, custom setting gets resets after it synced with phone. What can you ask for for a device that cost $149. This is Fitbit not Apple. Fitbit is not as creditable as Apple but if you are looking for a health watch Fitbit is the best in the market.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I have the same issue! It’s totally fine until I turn the GPS on. Then the watch struggles to do both, and the music drops for the next 5-6 minutes. Then it’s completely fine. So glad it’s not just me! Hopefully they can do a software update to fix this bug, although maybe it’s an issue with the hardware. I hope not!

Best Answer

I haven't read all the posts. But I too have the same issue. Only when I am running and the GPS is active. When I bike I do not have these issues. I have tried three sets of headphones thinking that was the issue. Updated the firmware. Still persists. The main reason I bought the watch was for this reason. And now three years in, it's the same thing. Is there a solve? I have had Plantonics Backbeat and Bose Bluetooth headphones and they both have the same issue only with the watch. 

Best Answer

Same problem here... this is such a shame. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue for me. Just bought the Ionic.  Music skips when GPS is active.  Too bad, Pandora plus GPS sold me on this device.

Update: I tried wearing my Fitbit on my right wrist instead of left and it worked with no problems when using Bluetooth and GPS.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I finally succeeded in putting music on my Ionic and was excited to run using my cordless Vislla  earbuds.  The music was fine while I was driving to the run. As soon as I started running, it started skipping, just as yours and the others.   I am frustrated as well. Was so looking forward to finally using the Ionic  music feature.  Extremely disappointed.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I finally succeeded in putting music on my Ionic and was excited to run using my cordless Vislla  earbuds.  The music was fine while I was driving to the run. As soon as I started running, it started skipping, just as yours and the others.   I am frustrated as well. Was so looking forward to finally using the Ionic  music feature.  Extremely disappointed.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
I bought an Apple Watch. That’s how u fix the problem.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Ha ha ha...yep...that is the fix alright!