Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Ionic Not Syncing to Google Pixel 2 and reboots during sync FIXED

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Ok everyone, I see a LOT of people (myself included) saying that their Fitbit Ionic won't sync. And we have done EVERYTHING to try to fix it: rebooting the watch, phone, factory reset, reset bluetooth, delete and re-add watch in the app, etc. Well I just thought on a Sunday morning I would try one last time. As I was rebooting, I was actually on the phone with Fitbit Customer Care (who sent me a prepaid postage marker in case I wanted to return it). Here's how I fixed it: 

1. Call customer care - no seriously. Its like your fitbit is psychic. 

2. Factory reset the watch - this clears all data and downloaded apps/watch faces. 

3. Remove watch from fitbit app - you can uninstall/reinstall if it makes you feel better. I didn't. 

4. Unsync/forget fitbit on bluetooth then reboot your device (i used my Google Pixel 2). 

5. Once factory reset is done, add the watch back to the device like first time set-up. 

6. It SHOULD work at this point. If not, send it back. If it does keep on reading!

7. Add back in any apps/watch faces one at a time, syncing between each install.

I found that a certain Star Trek watch face I installed caused it to almost COMPLETELY crash almost INSTANTLY. Luckily I was able to trick the watch into installing a different "fitbit labs" watch face by canceling the download, force closing the app on my Pixel 2, then going back to the store and clicking "do not continue download". I just found a new watch face and it downloaded right away.

Watch works great now, and I honestly believe that its a watch face and/or app issue. I've had my fitbit with Strava app working day-in and day-out since then. As an IT guy, I've seen people with phone and computer problems because they CONSTANTLY install/uninstall apps and skins. This takes a toll on your device, especially when the app is not trusted or verified by the OEM. So again, if you install an app or watch face and your fitbit starts acting weird, uninstall it. I know its inconvenient, but is it worth using the watch or having the watch face? 

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

Hello @JRader and Welcome!  Thanks for the post and the GREAT advice with step by step instructions!  I would like, if at all possible, for you to PM me with with the name of the Clock Face that (possibly) caused your issues.  I will then forward your reply over to the Moderators for further action.  With over 700 Clock Faces, we need to make certain we have no issues with them.  If however, you already provided this information to the CS Advocate you spoke with, than please disregard the need for the PM.  Again, thanks and Keep on STEPPING!

Community Council Member

Gunny | Richmond, VA (USA)

Ionic Adidas Edition, Versa Special Edition, Aria 2 & Flyer | iPhone & Windows 10

Take a look at the Fitbit Help site for further Assistance & Information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This was super helpful! Got a pixel 2 xl yesterday and was getting fired up trying to connect and sync. Followed the steps of this post and it worked right away.

Best Answer
0 Votes