Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Ionic suddenly stopped tracking activity, now 3 times in a row

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’ve been using my fitbit ionic to track my runs for a few months now. Until last friday (may 11th) no problems, however since then totally unexpected and without any interaction the ionic stops tracking the run during the exercise. The fitbit somehow returned to ‘normal’ mode, showing time. Is this hardware related or software? Few days ago -after the first problems but before the last one today- i upgraded the software.

Best Answer
14 REPLIES 14

It’s the same for me, since the new upgrade, when I use the Ionic to swim: the app crashes, sometimes even my Fitbit crashes so it restarts, whil I swim...

yesterday I swam 3000 meters, but it tracked 150 meters...

I have a Fitbit Ionic since January 2018. It’s my 4th now, during my warranty of 2 years. I hope this one lasts much longer. Updates are dangerous!
Best Answer

This happens to me at least once every couple of weeks. It happens in Run, Walk, Swim, Elliptical and Workout modes. I often don't notice that it's stopped tracking right away either, especially while swimming. I regularly restart my Ionic and it still randomly stops tracking. It's very frustrating. 

Best Answer

Same here GPS stopped working 4 miles into my run this morning. This is getting so frustrating having the OS updates cause multi problems.

Best Answer

This is happening to me frequently when I hit run/start...midway through my run, the watch stops tracking as if I just stopped in the middle of it. Has anyone identified why this is? 

Before the updates I did not have any issues.

Also , the options are moved around- for example you press new buttons for the items you used to look for like tracking my run, looking for total steps, etc. Once a consumer buys something and starts to utilize it, they start to get in a groove- especially related to excercise....so I don't think its  a great idea to change their buttons where they access data.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This has been happening on mine since I got it in January, so I don't necessarily think it is tied to any updates for me at least.

Best Answer

I'm very frustrated. It stopped suddenly during a race today. Not only do you lose the activity, it messed up my pacing and it gets into your head as it's a distraction. I've logged a ticket with their support and they are passing it on to their engineers. Good for them. Fix it soon or bye bye watch.

Best Answer

I'm beyond frustrated, I never would have bought the Ionic if I knew the GSP would be so spotty. That's literally the only reason I bought this instead of the Versa. What really makes me made is everything was fine before the second OS update with the GSP. Fitbit failing to acknowledge that their OS updates are causing the problems is making me reconsider ever buying another FitBit product.  

Best Answer

How do you log a ticket?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Connect with them on their site

Best Answer
0 Votes

PS - I also reached out via Twitter. They said it’s a known issue and they are working on a firmware update

Best Answer

Ok thanks for sharing this! Must say i’ve had about 10 - 15 activites without problems now after the three failures in a row. But still cautious on new failures and what you experienced, during a race, would be very frustrating. So hope the firmware upgrade will get this bug out of the way.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, i have exactly same issue in any mode(swim, workout, weights, run, cycling). Sometimes(as workaround) it helps to start same activity once again and after end of your workout jsut make 3 soft restarts and update via phone. it shows me whole workout and also second half(only non gps tracking ofc). Anyway i hope they will fix it(since problem is reported almost from first day of ionic ) 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This has happened to me twice now, once on a run and once on a walk.  In both cases I had manually started the tracking mode, and when I hit the one-mile mark I got the vibrate notification and then it switched out of exercise mode and back to normal.  In both cases I did not look at the watch when I got the notification - most of the time when it buzzes I’ll look to see my pace and time.  Seems like a software problem, hopefully the next firmware update will fix it because I don’t see many Fitbit staff posts on these threads so I don’t think they really pay much attention.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had the same problem. Actually, if you put the passcode on the chancesare you will find that it crashes when your not doing exercise as well, just that you dont notice.  If you put the passcode on every time it resets it will ask you for the code.

i seem to have solved it (been 4 days now without a problem) by turning off notifications on the watch ( long press left button and swipe to settings) and also turning off auto syncs on the phone app just for good measure.  It seems to be notifications that cause it.  Also try turning off auto cue within exercises.

Only a fudge but hopefully tide me over until the next software version where I really hope it will be fixed.   

=======================================

Progressed through Fitbit One, Flex, Charge, Alta, Alta HR, Charge 2, Blaze, Flex 2 and now Ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes