Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Ionic vs Garmin VivoActive 3 (and other Garmin devices)

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

There is already a community thread comparing the Ionic to the new Apple Watch, so I thought it might be useful to look of the pros and cons of the Garmin Vivoactive 3 in comparison.

Also, over the last few months, I've been looking at either the Garmin Forerunner 735XT or 935 as a possible replacement for my Surge. (And yes - I do realise that they, the Forerunner 935 in particular, are in a different price category to the Ionic!)

Which would you go for any why?

Fenix 5 Plus. Previously Ionic and Surge. Google Pixels 3 and 5. Aria. Chromebook. Deezer and Audible.
Best Answer
37 REPLIES 37

Good topic.  I am currently torn between the two.  I like the hardware of the Garmin, but the FitBit app is so much easier to navigate.  I like that FitBit is a one stop shop for exercise, food logging, etc.  With Garmin, we would have to use MyFitnessPal to log food.  Since I am already in the fitness tracker app, I like that I can just add it.

I am waiting for both to hit stores before purchasing, so I can try them one and see how they look.  Hopefully that will not be much longer. 

Best Answer

What kind of app are you planning to write? Has anything to do with programs like couch to 5k

Best Answer
0 Votes

Umm... The Garmin SDK available for anyone and has been around for some time... https://developer.garmin.com/ It does use "Monkey C", but it's a close cousin to Java.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@pkirillrva wrote:

Umm... The Garmin SDK available for anyone and has been around for some time... https://developer.garmin.com/ It does use "Monkey C", but it's a close cousin to Java.

True, however CSS and SVG graphics make Fitbit’s SDK a bit quicker and easier to develop for and the fact I can create custom apps just for me and friends makes me lean Fitbit’s way. Nothing other than personal preference. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Rizzknows - Fitbit Ionic vs Garmin Vivoactive 3 vs Garmin Fenix 5 

https://youtu.be/HCDKz8mhS6c

Best Answer

I bought the active 3 and had it for 3 days and returned it. The HR data in the beginning of a run was way way high and it took 5 minutes to settle down. Thereafter it would fluctuate wildly. I am now a very happy ionic user--(except for the problem of downloading music) but I find the Ionic much more accurate.

Best Answer

I recently switched from Fitbit to Garmin. Got the Vivoactive HR. Was initially very excited. LOVED the watch and swore I would never go back. However, since Garmin releases the new version of their app, hardly anything works. An update to the app did nothing, in fact, fewer things work. I am returning my Garmin and have ordered an Ionic. Read the Garmin Connect reviews. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had a Garmin bike computer for two years, and the beta Garmin Connect for last two months. Nothing has changed, still works the same but easier to access stuff and more like Fitbit app now (plus Garmin Connect has more detailed workout data, analysis capabilities, easier to search for stuff, etc). But I don't have a Vivoactive HR, so can't comment about that. My wife hates it when ANY app changes, and constantly tells me things don't work until I show her how to do it. Not saying that happened to you, because I don't have a Vivoactive HR, but at least for cycling there are no real changes (except for UI navigation) to what I can do with Garmin Connect.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes
I get that. And I’m not big on change either. But the stuff just plain stops working! This am my HR graph disappeared! Half my alerts work (the ones I don’t want) and the others don’t (the ones I want). I cannot unconnect from people, I can’t connect to people. It may be just the vivoactive, although after reading the reviews, I don’t think so. I only had the watch a few days, so wasn’t “set” on how the app worked yet. The ONLY part that is working at this point are the steps. That’s it! I seem to lose a function a day lol. I love the watch. But the app just doesn’t work for me. I’m glad it works for you!!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I went from Ionic to Vivo. There's literally nothing I miss and have no regrets. Music on a watch isn't important to me and it didn't work in the UK anyway. I ran a marathon with the Garmin last week- GPS was out by 0.5% over 26.2 miles as opposed to 10% for Ionic over 10miles. Battery is better on Garmin and the display is always on. Fitbit refund policy is the only plus.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My app DID change. A LOT! I’m not sure if it’s an iPhone vs android thing or what. But as if this am, the only function I had remaining was the steps. The last thing to go was this am, and that was the HR graph, which is important to me. Like I said, the watch itself was awesome! But right now it’s only a pedometer. If I wanted that I could’ve saved myself a lot of money. I only have 2 more weeks to return the watch. I am not willing to wait and see if the developers get their act together. It was amazing. Until the update. Like I said, read the app reviews. I am not the only one who is having issues. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried both and would say the Ionic is the better of the 2 overall. The vivoactive 3 is not at all far behind.

The things I did not like about the vivoactive 3 are...

1. battery life was not close to what the spec says. The Ionic battery life is actually better.
  2. extremely weak vibration motor to the point that you cannot even feel it at all unless you put your hand on the face of the device. That to me is a deal breaker right there.

The things I did not like about the Ionic are...

1. Not as many advanced fitness metrics.
  2. Smart feature bugs/quirks

I went back and forth between the 2 for quite some time, but decided that I am serious about my fitness, and don't really care about smart features all that much aside from basic notifications. Also I prefer not to have a touch screen on a fitness device because it has the potential of accidentally messing up a workout.

I decided to spend the extra mony and get this...

Garmin fenix 5x

The Ionic would definitely be my second choice though if I did not want the more advanced device.

Best Answer

Yeah, and you need to pay $5k just to access your data. Ridiculous.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry, I was talking about the "free" Garmin SDK.

Best Answer
0 Votes

wrote:

Yeah, and you need to pay $5k just to access your data. Ridiculous.

Depends on what you consider data. Overview of working with Garmin:

https://developer.garmin.com

The Health API (all day steps/sleep/HR/stress/etc) is free after approval:

https://developer.garmin.com/health-api/overview/

The SDK for 3rd party apps is free:

https://developer.garmin.com/connect-iq

The Connect API has a one-time $5k fee, however this is typical used by other fitness platforms. 

https://developer.garmin.com/garmin-connect-api/overview/

I consider my bike rides as data. Because of Connect API, for *free* my cycling data is automatically synced within seconds after uploading a ride to the following:

- Strava

- TrainingPeaks

- RideWithGPS

- Endomondo

- MapMyFitness (MapMyRide, etc)

Thats because those platforms used Connect API to transfer the data. And those platforms accept my entire ride data including HR, GPS, power, cadence, temperature, speed, and duration is sent to those platforms. 

Fitbit doesn't support importing HR or GPS. Why do all those platforms support activity interoperability, but Fitbit the self proclaimed "leader in the connected health and fitness category" does not directly connect with my activity data? And when it does, with Fitbit's Strava sync, it doesn't import GPS or HR?

So far I'm unimpressed with Fitbit's Strava sync. Its flaky, doesn't import all data, and unreliable. All 800+ Garmin rides over the last 2+ years have sync'd reliably, within seconds, to other platforms. Why can't Fitbit gets this right?

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

I have been Garmin,polar and suunto user over many years and have most of the watches they have out in the higher "tier".

Use my Fenix 5 most, but this time FitBit did get the watch nice on paper with Ionic so did give it a try. 🙂

And only thing I miss is the External Hr support, other than that it is a very solid every day watch. Usually like Round watches, have AW from first one to Serie3..and have always hated the design.:) But this time the wight and size on the Ionic do feel solid, and the Dark color match my macbook..:)

But did get the Vivoacrtive3 when it came out and did not like the weight, feeling and the 20mm size band (they should have go 22mm minimum).

And did not get along with the menu/touch on it, maybe because I have use Fenix 5 and I am use to buttons on gamin. But gps/hr on it the standard "Garmin"..not perfect but works..:) Few delays in weather here and there just like my Fenix.

Maybe I did get a very solid unit this time, but gps on ionic is very solid. Same or even better than my Fenix..(Fenix do jump from time to time when deep into forest)

So should say both works Ok, just a matter of taste on design. AND if you need external strap...

I am quite new to FitBit app, been many years on Garmin,polar and suunto.

But like the design and what you can do on the app, and sync fast with watch.

Don´t one is so much better than the other, Fitbit I can say have some pros over the Vivo...but then vivo have some things Fitbit don't have. So in the end it depends what you need..:)

But for my taste the FitBit wins 200% on the design, weight, display and material tho.

Best Answer

Hi, I might be late to the party. I am just a newbie here. To be honest, I still do not make any final decision yet about my choice to get the premium or my own flagship wearables. Right now I just rely on basic tracker which is just Chinese brand. My hard earned money must go to the right kind of choice. Yes, i sign up both forum (Garmin and Fitbit), you know, just to learn and get some knowledge.

Something I feel like, when I read so much review of it on the internet and also what people said about it, it is just some kind of straight fight between Pepsi or Cola, PS4 or Xbox, Marvel or DC, or any when I check the comparison for both trackers. The only thing right now is just to test it by yourself.A few pro and cons, for an example some people said that the tracking naps of the Garmin is poor, but some people said, Fitbit also does the same thing, Info that I got from the internet might be different than real experience.

I always trust my instinct, so deep inside my mind said that, when my cash is ready, Fitbit would be my first choice for my flagship wearable.

Thanks again for all of the explanation from the experts here. Really appreciate it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've owned the charge, altahr, samsung fit2 and currently on garmin vivoactive hr (the blocky one)

Garmin win, by far far far, if you want all your biometrics and actually track runs, waterproof and blah.

Samsung for versatility

Fitbit for the app. 

Nothing beats the fitbit app. Meal tracking and activity all in one.

The garmin works, but needs to connect to myfitnesspal for food tracking and strava for social. Then you have 3 apps instead of one.....

To each their own.

My opinion:

I needed proper HR and GPS without the phone. I went Garmin. And always on display because e-ink with 7 days battery life(including battery tracking). I think fitbit make great products, but they weren't for me. 

Wife loves her alta.

🙂

Best Answer