Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Ionic won't update the firmware

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

WTF.  Brand new $400.00 ionic and it's a lemon - like seriously Fitbit?!?!?!  Brand new out of box 24 hours ago and update keeps crashing on me.  I have factory reset, deleted and reinstalled the app.  unpaired the watch and started all over again.  7 hours of updating, to only receive a  failed message?  Did I  mention this piece of SH#$ cost me $400.00?!?!?!  Anybody have any other solutions?!?!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 REPLY 1

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @Tchutchuca! Thanks for already taking the time to troubleshoot this inconvenience with the Firmware Update on your Fitbit Ionic. 

Also, I thank you for the thorough feedback for the Fitbit environment, customer service, platform and devices. This has not gone unnoticed and be sure that I will pass this along. However, I'll remind you that our Community Guidelines ask for civil discourse on these forums. Please refrain from inflammatory posts.

We don't want to create frustration in our customers. Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on that feedback.

Before you begin the firmware update, make sure your watch is plugged into the charger and in range of your Wi-Fi network during the update. For best results, use your home or work Wi-Fi network. If you've never connected your watch to Wi-Fi, see How do I connect my Fitbit watch to Wi-Fi?

If your watch isn't sufficiently charged before starting the update, you may see this image on your screen:

Wait until the battery is at least 40% charged to start the update and keep your watch plugged into the charger. To check the battery level, tap the screen or press any button while the watch is charging.

If you have trouble updating your watch over Wi-Fi, try these steps to resolve the problem: 

1. Make sure your watch is connected to the Wi-Fi network you want to use. 
  2. Move your watch closer to your router.
  3. Make sure your router is connected to the internet. 
  4. Restart your watch by holding the back (left) and bottom buttons until you see the Fitbit logo.
  5. Try again to update your watch.

If the update failed, continue to step 2. 

1. Restart your phone.
  2. Try again to update your watch.

If the update failed again, continue to step 3.

Check to see if you have another Fitbit tracker or watch paired to your phone. If so, you must tell your phone to "forget" the device, removing the connection between the phone and the Fitbit device. 

1. On your phone, go to Settings > Bluetooth > find the tracker or other watch in the list > find an option to forget the device.
  2. Try again to update your watch.

If you can't update your watch over Wi-Fi, follow the on-screen instructions in the Fitbit app to update your watch over Bluetooth instead. Note that firmware updates over Bluetooth may take significantly longer to complete. 

If you see a clock error message on your watch's screen after the update, choose a clock face in the Fitbit app to resolve the problem:

1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap or click the Account icon > your device image.
  2. Tap or click Clock Faces.
  3. Choose a new clock and then wait a few moments for your watch to update. The new clock face will appear on your screen.
Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes