Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Ionic wont turn on

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi All,

I've had my ionic for close to a year & all on a sudden it won't turn on after charging.  I've try to reset it and nothing is happening..please help I'm lost without wear my fitbit every day & can't afford to purchase a new one when my ionic isn't even 1 year old 

Best Answer
30 REPLIES 30

Same thing just happened to me last week. Went to charge my Ionic and after 2 hours to check status, it wouldn’t turn on. Tried a hard reset by holding all three buttons for over 30 seconds...still nothing. Really don’t want to have to purchase a new one since this one has been a champ this whole time. What’s FItBit stance on this issue?

Best Answer

yep I love my fitbit! I have emailed customer support but haven't had a respose yet but will keep you in the loop when I get an answer @Levanen24

Best Answer

Hi @RhiJGray1522 and @Levanen24 nice to see  you here, welcome to the Forums! Smiley Happy

I'll do my best to help you out with this. Thanks for trying those steps.

Try to clean the contacts of your tracker. These contacts can become obstructed by microscopic dirt or debris that prevents them from making a good connection to the charger. Use a toothpick or toothbrush to clean the charging contacts; do not scrape them with anything metal because this may damage the plating and result in corrosion. 

Please restart your Ionic again. How are you changing your Surge? We recommend plugging your charging cable into a USB port on your computer or other low-energy device. If necessary, you can use a UL-certified USB wall charger. Don't use a USB hub or battery pack to charge, and only use the charging cable that came with your tracker.

As a last resource, I would recommend following the steps below:

1. Restart your tracker a couple of times and make sure that it is fully charged
  2. Reboot your phone and check that you phone and Fitbit App is up to date 
  3. Open Bluetooth Settings on your phone and delete your Ionic from there (forget device)
  4. Open Fitbit App > Account > Ionic > Remove device (tap on the trash can in the upper right corner)
  5. Reboot your Bluetooth and double check that it is not connecting from there
  6. Force quite the App. Open it again Account > Set up a device

Make sure to check your phone Permissions and leave Location on to keep syncing and getting notifications with your phone, for more info check this suggestions from @ErickFitbitSmiley Wink

Hope this helps.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well... it just doesn't turn on at all so most of what you were
recommending I can't do yet. I've cleaned both the contacts on the watch
and the OEM charging cable with isopropyl alcohol and have plugged it into
a computer as suggested. I've tried both the 2 and 3 button methods and
still no luck. Left it on charging with OEM cable for 24 hours on a slow
charging source - still no luck. This thing is dead. What other options can
Fitbit give me to fix it?

Moderator edit: Removed personal information 

Best Answer

@Levanen24 contact customer support. I did and they went through all these troubleshooters with me and still nothing worked so I was offered a replacement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@RhiJGray1522 wrote:

@Levanen24 contact customer support. I did and they went through all these troubleshooters with me and still nothing worked so I was offered a replacement.

Yes this is exactly what happens most times.  Go thru all troubleshooting protocols direct with Tech Support and if defective they will offer a replacement often on the spot.  Everyone should follow this.

Vote if this helps you at all and Vote if this is a solution to your issue [Current Leader in Ionic Forum with 15 Solutions + Thumbs Up 92]
Really there is no need to suffer in Frustration - simply call Tech Support at 877-623-4997 and get your Ionic replaced right now while you can
Many have followed this straightforward advice and now have a replacement Ionic - we all should have “zero tolerance” for any defective Ionic

Best Answer
0 Votes

The same thing just happened to me today. I’m so upset. I also use mine every single day and it won’t turn back on. It is completely dead. It had a 50% charge last night at 3am which is the last time it synced with my phone. I also only had mine just over a year. This really sucks especially considering how much money these cost. 

Best Answer

I also can’t try any of the fixes suggested here because mine is completely dead and so I can’t reset it of course since it is dead. Nothing happens. How do I contact customer support and will they replace it or am I stuck footing the bill for a new one? Not that I have the  money for one. A product this expensive should certainly last for more than a year.

Best Answer

@LisaYogini I just emailed them from the fitbit website 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you. I will try that. I hope they will replace it as I surely can’t afford a new one

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fingers crossed as I wasn't going to be able to afford I new one else so I'm very grateful 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you! So did you have to send your defective Fitbit back? Did you receive your replacement yet?
This sure seems to be a common problem which is pretty discouraging

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer

You absolutely need to call them asap if you haven't already,  because once 12 months is up there is nothing they will do but ask you to buy another watch.

I had two fail quickly,  and the last one a few months outside my warranty date.  Most of what is happening is from water slowly getting into the watch,  I know this to be true because I've seen it happen to both of my watches.

If you can get another watch,  consider yourself lucky and take advantage of it for sure.  Maybe if you're even luckier it will last for a year so you might even get two years out of your $300 purchase.  The truth is,  these watches won't last,  they were rushed out to compete with apple without proper testing...   Be blessed and hopefully there is a good resolution.

Best Answer

Hey there @Levanen24. Thanks for the troubleshooting that you've tried and mentioned. In this case, I've created a case on your behalf with our Support team, they will continue assisting you. 

Thanks for sharing your experience and tips @RhiJGray1522@Whistler888 and @johneric8

Hey @LisaYogini. Sorry to hear about the issue that you're experiencing. 

I'll be around if you need further assistance. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Exact same thing happened to me this morning. Talked to fitbit  and because mine is out of warranty they are giving me a discount on a new purchase. $350 watch that only lasts 16 months is very disappointing. And no guarantees that this will not happen again! From reviewing the forums, that are a lot of people having the same problem. Seems more like a defect.

Most of our family is using a fitbit so I am kinda committed but really disappointed. Most expensive smart fitness watch ever.... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the support. I was just given the option to receive a replacement tracker (without the band and charger) or receive 50% off a new watch. Obviously I chose the replacement. I am leary of investing more money into something that may be inherently defective. I truly want this watch to be wonderful as I have so enjoyed having it, but to have it die after only a year is not too reassuring particularly in view of the cost of this watch. It is certainly not cheap. Let’s hope I have a good one this time!

thank you again for the support

Best Answer

Wait,  was your watch still under a warranty?  and if not how long was it expired?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m not sure but it must have been under warranty. I received it as a birthday gift last year - I don’t have a receipt. I sent a photo of the side of the box which I still had. It had a serial number on it and they said they were researching the warranty status and the next time I heard from them I was offered the choice of a replacement or half off a new one.   I have to save the old band to put on it. I hope this one works better than the last. I do love the Fitbit when it works but I did have a lot of trouble with the black screen problems the whole time I had it. Always the sensor was flashing so I knew it wasn’t dead. This time no lights, no nothing so I Knew it was as dead as a door nail. Also about a week before it died I stopped receiving text notifications on it and all the settings were correct. I think it was dying then, and it died with a 50 or 60% charge, while I was asleep. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great to see you around @gdakin. Thanks for being a loyal customer. Each case is reviewed individually and the solution that's being provided by our Support team is based on the Fitbit Warranty

I'm glad to hear that you received a replacement from our Support team @LisaYogini. Hope you can continue enjoying your Ionic and reaching your goals. 

I'll be around if you need further assistance. Robot Happy

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes