Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit OS 4.0.1 - Firmware Release (27.68.9.12)

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 9/16

Hi everyone,

We’re excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 4.0.1, available for Ionic (Firmware Version: 27.68.9.12). 

We've begun releasing this new firmware to customers. This is a progressive rollout which means everyone will receive it at different stages until it has been completely released to all users. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. 

*Firmware releases are not distributed based on region or location and can reach anyone no matter where you reside. We do not recommend performing a factory reset to force the update to your device as your data will be lost and you may not get the update. Please be patient and wait until you see the update banner inside of the Fitbit app to begin the firmware download.

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

This release includes bug fixes and improvements.

HOW DO I UPDATE?

Step by step instructions for updating your Ionic can be found here

If you run into any trouble updating your Ionic, I recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

We appreciate your patience while we work to roll this out to everyone.  

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
173 REPLIES 173

Too bad I didn't see your message before. I did the Update and all I get now is the clock face. Called Support this morning. Tried everything. No help. My ionic is now stuck on only the clock face. Has anyone else run into the same problem?

Mario

Best Answer

Mario, sorry my friend but it's not looking good.  Keep dogging tech support,  there may be redemption.  If you have had enough,  consider a  Garmin  Vivoactive 3. Offers many of the features of the Ionic including onboard GPS.  Not as sophisticated build quality but very reliable in my 3 months experience.  All of these firmware and software updates that claim to be fixing undefined "bugs" just seems to cause more problems. The company's new motto appears to be:  if it's not broke break it.

Best Answer

Hi Tom. I appreciate your suggestion about the Garmin, and will keep it in mind. They are going to replace the watch. We'll see what happens. Many thanks for your prompt reply. Cheers

Best Answer
0 Votes

You are very welcome. Good luck, I hope the new device works and is unafflicted by all of this toxic firmware. Why these tech companies cannot leave well enough alone is beyond me.

Best Answer

My Ionic completely shut down after the firmware update and it was charging at the same time. Now it is completely dead and will not turn back on. This is the second time I have had this kind of issue. I am fed up.

Best Answer

I had the exact same thing happen. I started the update as I was going to bed but I was still awake etc. I had both my phone and the ionic plugged in. My ionic was working fine. When I went to look at it again after the download had finished, the watch was dead. I thought maybe I was crazy so I unplugged it and set it up on the wall charger in my kitchen instead. I woke up the next morning and it was still dead after being plugged in for 6 hours. 

Best Answer

Thanks, Mirsix.

Did you ever get a reply from the VP?

Mario.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, Tom.

We'll see...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, Matt.

Did he ever reply?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have an ionic and it seems this update is bricking some of them. That's sad since most are out of warranty like my own. Its terrible to have an update like this break such an expensive piece of hardware. If the firmware has potential to brick a device you should exclude the device from the update or delay it until your sure  it's safe for all devices. I'd much rather have an outdated working watch than a broken one.

Can I prevent the update from updating?  Do I have a choice to update or not? 

Best Answer

Hello, my tracker took forever to download and then started installing, nothing happened for 5 minutes, and then the tracker stopped responding completely.  I tried to restart, no results. It's only 4 months old.

I would appreciate a solution as soo  as possible.

Thank you and regards,

Diana

Best Answer

I've updated my Ionic yesterday afternoon and at first everything looked ok but when waking up this morning the screen was dark and the watch is now as dead as the parrot in the Monty Python sketch.

No reaction to pressing any of the buttons, connecting or disconnecting the charger and not detectable by bluetooth.

This Ionic was working without problem for almost two years and was obviously bricked by the latest update, still waiting for a reply from support.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have emailed them last night. So far only the automated message for creating a ticket 😫

Best Answer
0 Votes

Alana you are still well inside the 1-year warranty.  They should replace your device.  Keep on them until they do it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not yet, but I just sent it last night.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I guess I should have checked this page before clicking update....2 hours later still only 2/3 done.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Updated and seems to be working fine so far...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can you provide some detail about what improvements were made?

Best Answer
0 Votes

The exact same thing happened to me on 8/30. I've been up and down the chain of command with them. Nothing. They keep trying to change my case to "battery not charging" and then kick it back saying it's out of warranty. I was getting 4-6 days on a charge after 19 months of owning it. IT updated, then completely bricked. If they send me the instructions one more time about pushing buttons in a sequence I may have an aneurysm. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine was just 4.months old, still under warranty 

Best Answer