Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit OS 4.0.1 - Firmware Release (27.68.9.12)

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 9/16

Hi everyone,

We’re excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 4.0.1, available for Ionic (Firmware Version: 27.68.9.12). 

We've begun releasing this new firmware to customers. This is a progressive rollout which means everyone will receive it at different stages until it has been completely released to all users. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. 

*Firmware releases are not distributed based on region or location and can reach anyone no matter where you reside. We do not recommend performing a factory reset to force the update to your device as your data will be lost and you may not get the update. Please be patient and wait until you see the update banner inside of the Fitbit app to begin the firmware download.

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

This release includes bug fixes and improvements.

HOW DO I UPDATE?

Step by step instructions for updating your Ionic can be found here

If you run into any trouble updating your Ionic, I recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

We appreciate your patience while we work to roll this out to everyone.  

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
173 REPLIES 173

It's interesting that lately one of the explanations for these post firmware update device failures has been phone incompatibility.  No matter that whatever phone (Android or iOS) you have that was working flawlessly with your Fitbit prior to the firmware installation, now that it no longer functioning properly it's the phone's fault.  That seems hard to swallow; it was fine yesterday but now it's not?  The same excuse is showing up on the Community Forum for beleaguered Charge 2 users who are having their own firmware related debacle and the response that some have gotten from customer support.  Get a new phone!

Best Answer

The phone issue has long been Fitbits answer to a lot of problems. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have called them 3 times and tried everything and their excuse was there is an issue with the Android platform with no timeline on a fix. I will never buy another one of their devices again after this. This company is the worst at customer service and their poor excuses for products never last or stand up to the prices they charge. They never offer any helpful resolutions. does anyone have an Ionic and can you tell me if your phone stays paired to your android?

Best Answer
I have ionic.
No, it doesn't stay connected since the upgrade.

I wonder why they don't reverse the upgrade?
Best Answer
0 Votes

I got this same response last night. identical actually. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I haven't even gotten the update yet and my ionic has had multiple issues syncing and staying connected. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone, thank you for your comments and feedback.  

I apologize if you feel that you haven't received a reply soon enough. 

Just a small reminder, this thread is here to discuss any question regarding the Ionic update, doubt or issue during it. If any of you is having issues with notifications, syncing or of another kind, I'll suggest you post your inquiry on the proper thread, so that it gets the proper attention and the proper instructions to follow. 

Please note that we don't want to create confusion between the users that only want to have information regarding the update under discussion. 

For those who already contacted Support, I'll suggest you again to keep working with them. They can check and verify your case and you'll receive the information needed. 

@ everyone who still hasn't receive the notification for the update, I appreciate your patience, and I'll ask you for your understanding. The roll-out is still in progress and you'll receive the update very soon. 

For those who are thinking or have performed a factory reset, we do not recommend doing so, but only when Support or a moderator advises you to. If you already performed a factory reset by yourself, you'll need to update the firmware, and you will still get the current one. Performing a factory reset without being advised, could lead to other situations, like i.e.connectivity issues. 

@blinkzane @SunsetRunner , this is not a test or Beta version. The update is going to be available to every Ionic user as it will help with some bugs and improvements. 

@TomDuke , if our Support Team informed anyone of you that the mobile device is not compatible, it was never intended to say that you should purchase a new mobile device. I apologize if my coworker gave you that impression. 

@MRogers71 , thank you  for your comment. Fitbit devices are indeed compatible with Samsung and Android. You can always check our list of compatible devices. It all depends on the device specific model. 

I'll let you some links here for the threads where you can check for advises or information depending on your specific issue.

Ionic Board: (search or create a thread) : https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/bd-p/ionic

Wifi Connectivityhttps://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/Ionic-won-t-connect-to-Wi-Fi/m-p/2850916#M63965

Notifications and Syncing : Android Board and iOS Board

Let me know if you still have any question or if you need assistance with the update. 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer

You lucked out!

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

I had reported that my update (Ionic, v 4.0.1) went fine, but I have since noticed a problem which I find curious.  About the same time, the Android app (Samsung XCover 4) updated to 3.6.1, and the Whatsapp notifications stopped being forwarded to the Ionic.  Interestingly, SMS notifications (Messages in Android) continued to be forwarded.  The sync with the phone and the Bluetooth connection are stable, and, indeed better than before the update, but the Whatspps notifications, which worked before, simply stopped.  I had in Settings "Messages" set as the primary source of notifications, and Whatsapp enabled through the App notification menu.  I swapped the two, and, surprise, the SMS notifications continue to come through, and Whatsapp not!  More diagnostics I cannot do.  Any advice or suggestions?

Best Answer
I've tried everything under the sun
Best Answer
0 Votes

fitbit is very bad at supporting and fixing software errors. For example, displaying the caller information when the device connected to Android 9 is still an error. Software upgrades are slow. Too díappointed.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

you've broken them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your chat line told me to do a factory reset and bluetooth wont find it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

yes theyve messed it up

Best Answer
0 Votes

So when will everyone get the update 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My ionic is crashing daily and I can only assume it's because I missed the update, I was camping and I was prompted to update my ionic. I couldnt update so I figured I'd wait until I could get on wi-fi, problem is when i finally got back to where i had wi-fi my notification banner was gone. How do i initiate the new update now that it's gone? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Got my Replacement Iconic Thursday, so far so good. It’s working great

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

kwilkin1, the firmware was causing problems for many owners and they stopped pushing it on the app.  Not sure how you'd get it otherwise.  I have two Ionics, my 2018 model works fine but after the 19 Sept app update it stopped receiving GMail updates from my Pixel 3.  My never used July 2019 'backup' Ionic I broke out of storage today to try and it's now totally dead.  Just finished up with customer support and troubleshooting and they're sending me a free replacement Ionic for that one.  Not sure what to tell you but for now the firmware update seems to be unavailable.

Best Answer

Same here. 
My Ionic is spazzing out and I can no longer find Bluetooth connection. Reset is useless. Couldn’t connect to my new iPhone, and now it won’t sync with my old iPad either. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Uninstalling, then reinstalling the Fitbit app on my phone restored Gmail notifications. Phone and SMS continue to work. Maybe worth a try?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Ionic has less than 12hr battery life out of the blue, messages and
notifications are unaffected
Best Answer
0 Votes