Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit OS 4.2.2 - Ionic Firmware Release (72.1.15)

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

We’re excited to announce that a firmware update for Ionic will be available soon!  Some of you may already have this update available - if you installed it, let us know what you think!

If you don’t see the update yet, that’s expected. Check the Fitbit app in a few days, and you’ll see a message when you can install the update. We expect everyone to receive the update in the coming weeks. We appreciate your patience while we get this update to all of our customers. 

Did you know that we gradually release our updates? We do this to make sure everything is working just right for you. Sometimes we find an issue and it might take a little longer than expected for everyone to get the update. While you might see suggestions on how to “force” an update, we ask that you don’t try any of these workarounds. Most of the time the update won’t be available and you can lose data or encounter other difficulties. The best way to get the update is to be patient and wait for the update banner to appear in the Fitbit app. 

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

You can find release notes here.  New Ionic version is 27.72.1.15. 

HOW DO I UPDATE?

You can find step-by-step instructions for updating your Ionic here.

If you run into difficulty please review these troubleshooting tips

We’re interested in hearing your feedback on this update! Let us know what you like! If you encounter unexpected behavior during or after your update, please post the details below.

Best Answer
187 REPLIES 187

We really appreciate your feedback and comments, @Btsb60@johnc066 and @SunsetRunner. Please note we're actively reviewing your responses and providing feedback to our product development team.

See you around the community.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My ionic battery has been poor for a while now, (since the previous firmware update!) rather than the advertised 5 day battery life it is about 2 days on average ( no gps being used). since the firmware update the battery life is now < 1 day. really really poor!

I was also hoping that the update might mean that I did not have to forget and reconnect my fitbit to Bluetooth on my I- phone every single time I open the app, but no such luck.

overall a considerable downgrade I. Performance on the previous version…. 

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Best Answer

Be careful! I followed the instructions in the app and did the update, and now my ionic is completely unresponsive. I contacted Fitbit support and they told me that there was no way to fix it.  Offered me a small discount on a new Fitbit, but I don't want a new Fitbit...I want an ionic. It's disappointing that Fitbit is not willing to stand behind its product. Ionic was working great... Fitbit's software update bricked the device, and they are astoundingly unwilling to remedy. 

Moderator Edit: Formatting and word choice

Best Answer

Today, I got to updated in Thailand and what is special for new firmware version 27.72.1.15 

What is new in this firmware or just bug fixs only? 

Best Answer

2 hours to update via bluetooth..  Looking for changes.  Not seeing any at this time...?

Best Answer
0 Votes

same here my bluetooth and wi fi both work for everything else except the fitbit updates smh

Best Answer

Yep all of this. I deeply regret allowing the update and messing up my night.. No displays are registering. Thx fitbit 

theFaraway
Best Answer

Updated my Ionic this morning with this release. It looked like it failed. Now won't start at all. Very disappointed.

Best Answer

Glad to know that I am not the only one having troubles with the GPS on the Ionic.  Do you know if anyone can show that the Versa (or any of the newer trackers) have better results with this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

The same happened to me, the update went okay. Afterwards it wanted to callibrate the sensors. This I tried several times, but all the time is gave an error at the end. Now it does not count the steps anymore, heartbeat seems to be working. Not counting the steps is severe, because it cannot give me the information I need.

Best Answer

@Harry4 It's a lousy warranty loophole in favour for the manufacturer.  It's also fairly common on tech devices.  Not one single person gets their shiny new device and start ploughing through warranties.

@bjmorch the older models of versas are having the same issues as the Ionic.  Newer items like the charge 4 or the luxe must use a different OS.

Best Answer

In addition: The green sensor lights dont work at all, so the heartbeat wil not be monitored.

I have exactly the same issue after the update: no successfull calibration. At this moment the green leds at the back are not working an couting steps is not functioning.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

I just updated my Ionic with new update that came out last night -- it synced yesterday so FitBit can see  it was working yesterday---- then I started the new update--- then it went to a black screen and now can't turn on- screen doesn't turn on- I've tried to hard reset it with the side buttons (both the three at one time and each side button on one side and the one side button on the other -- holding 30 seconds at least) ----- and nothing works--- it's charged and this new update has now broken the Ionic! PLEASE HELP ! ! ! ! ! !

Best Answer

Updated last night and now heart rate and calories are all messed up.  Worked with support who had me do a master reset but still seems messed up. Maybe this is finally the time to move to Garmin?

Best Answer

I'm not sure what happened to my earlier posts but I'm posting again so this community can see that I too am without my ionic after an unsuccessful update. It's strange because I received several replies but now my posts are gone. Odd...

Anyway, after an unsuccessful update, my ionic is completely unresponsive and won't charge. I had some back and forth discussion with support and they told me they'd give me a discount on a new Fitbit model (which I don't want), but that software issues are not their responsibility. Strikes me as odd and if I'm being honest, a little amusing since Fitbit is, when it comes down to it, primarily a software company. 

Anyway, if anyone from Fitbit is listening and interested in helping, I'll take your help. (If not, though, please leave my post so that others can see that they are not alone in dealing with a bricked ionic due to this update)

Best Answer

Correction... I'm seeing my earlier posts now. Not sure what had happened!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone. 

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your experiences after updating to Fitbit OS 4.2.2 Firmware Update (72.1.15). I wanted to let you know that your voices have been heard and your feedback has been forwarded to our team. We've noticed that some of you have different issues with your Ionic smartwatches after the update, so if you're still running into any issue with your watch, you can try the suggested steps listed below before checking with our team:

If you have any questions or inquiries related to your warranty you can check this page

For the ones who got in touch with our Support Team before or after posting here, please feel free to update your support case if you still have inquiries or need further help, so our team can continue assisting you.

Hope this helps. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ditto with me. it updated but after telling many times that it cant update

Best Answer

I've had so many issues with the ionic lately..not sinking, wrong time, no heart rate etc. Tried to to the update no luck, no connection blah blah blah.

I believe it is now running on latest software, but for 3 years it's been running perfect until now. Almost went to put in the draw never to be used again and go buy me something better..

Best Answer

I have have the same issues as @smswyoming. No sensor is working.

Best Answer