Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS directions on wrist?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

I was wondering if Ionic will have a (Google?) map app or something that will give GPS directions.

Thanks,

Sergio

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
20 REPLIES 20

@sergio107, I'm about 97% sure the answer is no.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I keep harping on this, but with the open SDK there is no reason that app can't be developed. I think the most underrated feature of this watch is the SDK and the ability to freely develop apps; even apps for a small number of people. I've registered as a developer and can't wait to dig in and play with this software.  

Best Answer

@datalore wrote:

I keep harping on this, but with the open SDK there is no reason that app can't be developed. I think the most underrated feature of this watch is the SDK and the ability to freely develop apps; even apps for a small number of people. I've registered as a developer and can't wait to dig in and play with this software.  

While I agree the SDK will be a boon for adding many features, this is one of the the things I just don't see happening.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here! We are on the same boat. I am also following the SDK forum to see if the OS would be able to run a navigation software, I was hoping on at least an arrow that gives directions.

Maybe the Fitbit support could give us some information?

Best Answer

You could be 100% correct and the SDK may not give access to the GPS chip. We'll have to wait and see. If they give access that won't be a hard feature to add. In fact there are some programming libraries available that should make it relatively easy to develop, of course if the SDK doesn't allow access it's a moot point. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@sergio107 Ionic does not have the ability to use cellular data so it will not have a standalone app for GPS navigation.

What you can do on Ionic, is have a GPS navigation app on your phone turned on and set to give push notifications. Turn that ON, in the Ionic app notifications section and receive those without having to pull out your phone from your pocket.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Hi @ErickFitbit, thanks for your reply. It could work indeed.

I was thinking on having an app with an offline map. I would estimate about 50 to 100 mb if the radius is not that wide. Do you think this could work as well?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried having Google Maps, with directions on, during my workout. But, so far, you don't get the notifications during exercise mode activated. Too bad! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You may like to check out the ‘Simple Nav’ app that I made on the  app store. It does the basic point-to-point nav (as the crow flies) between two lat long coordinates.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you have an Ionic, you could try Waypoints, the just released Navigation app from DrRobin.  You can have 4 routes of up to 20 waypoints each and get distance a bearing towards the next waypoint.  It doesn't display a map, just your heading, speed and direction/distance to your next waypoint.  You get a buzz on your wrist when you reach your next waypoint and it automatically selects the next waypoint in your pre-defined route.  Give it a try, it is free for 30 days and only $1.99 after (discounts available).

Link to Waypoints

https://gam.fitbit.com/gallery/app/4494763f-e3e8-4fb6-85f2-5a302fd348ae

User thread with manual and instructions

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-App-Gallery/Waypoints-the-Navigation-App-for-Fitbit-Ionic-is-...

Best Answer
0 Votes

This would be nice feature. I don't use it so much when running or walking but when cycling the cities comes handy. In my other watch I have navigation along saved paths as well as to POIs. The POIs is actually more useful. It's just an arrow showing where my destination is ( like in some video games showing direction to the quests ). I think, if app knows location of POI and current location of user then easily should be able to show in what direction one should move. Would be nice though if it was a default feature. As a standalone app it's detached from for example Exercise app ( correct me if I am wrong ). Navigating when tracking run, cycling or hike would be nice.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I intend to add recording of the exercise in to Waypoints, just as soon as I can figure out how to do it.  The SDK dev notes are not very clear.  There is no way I can add Waypoints functionality in to the inbuilt apps, that has to be done by Fitbit.  I own several Fitbits, none of them have ever had POIs, Waypoints or even a map unlike other watches, so don't expect Fitbit to add this anytime soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If Fitbit SDK did give you access to its GPS function, it would still be very far from a navigation system. After all, GPS only gives you your coordinates. If you actually want to be able to navigate, you would have to use a map of the globe. For example, Google does let you use its maps for your own websites, apps, etc., but the problem is that you need wifi to connect to Google and use its maps, and Fitbit's current trackers can't do that. Plus, you can't store all of Google maps on a Fitbit anyways. However, you could connect a Fitbit to your phone to use your phone service/wifi, but that just destroys the point of having maps on your Fitbit- because you can just use your phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@x95 it wouldn't have to be that sophisticated. The navigation feature in my Suunto watch is really simple. I need to upload GPX files or design the route in the app. The map doesn't show in the display, just route and arrow. In case of preloaded route such estimate is enough to follow the route. However, I find more helpful POI support for which I don't see the route but just direction I should follow. It is particulary helpful in cities but I used it several times when I decided to divert from my way.

Best Answer
0 Votes

JSR184

Waypoints does exactly what your Sunoto does, although it doesn't import GPX, just a simple Lat/long string. It then gives you an arrow, distance and estimate of time to the next waypoint.

Download a 10 day trial in the App Store, or see this thread.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-App-Gallery/Waypoints-the-Navigation-App-for-Fitbit-Ionic-is-...

I am trail testing Waypoints in Scotland just now, but will be releasing a new version with a simple map view soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DrRobin it isn't exactly the same. With Suunto you don't build route out of waypoints but you have one POI that the arrow directs you to. You can change the waypoint to any other any time. The GPX thing however is more sophisticated as it shows actual route but without map. I use it for preplanned trails or if I recorded route I can store it and reuse it for navigation. The GPX support is crucial here because I take my routes using software like Komoot or AllTrails. It isn't limited in terms of waypoints and shows extra info. Also, interesting feature are breadcrumbs. If I walk off the trail I can go back just by following breadcrumbs 🙂 It is simple but very useful and it works without showin any map. The big win however is that the navigation works with any exercise so when I run or cycle or hike or anything else then I can turn navigation on. This is something that 3rd-party app can't do on Ionic. Such integration with Exercise app can be done only by Fitbit I'm afraid.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner  Yeah, I like the idea of just an arrow. When I thought about it, you really don't actually need to see the entire map of the place.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@x95 moreover, I use a special clip when I cycle so I attach the watch to the handlebar and use such nav on the go ( HR is taken from chest strap anyway ) and it works really well. One thing I would like to see is some sort of directional notifications popping up on the screen. Basically, same thing as Google gives when searching for directions. Suunto doesn't support that so here's something Fitbit could make better.

Best Answer
0 Votes
  • I can’t seem to figure out how to turn on push notifications for google maps. Can help me out ? 
Best Answer
0 Votes