Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS or Exercise app stopping in ocean water?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This has now happened twice. I took myself kite surfing recently and simply started the Bike exercise option (there is no kite surfing exercise in Fitbit - nudge, nudge, wink, wink). Great! I can see my speed in kph, distance, avg speed. Suddenly, about 5 minutes into the ride, the Exercise app stopped or it stopped recording (maybe the GPS dropped?) and it actually exited the app and recorded the ride in Strava (fine), but it did this without me touching it. So I started it again, but this time it lasted about 30mins and it did it again. I don't have my watch buttons near my wrist bone or anything that could have pressed a button. Could water act as a "touch"? At least the GPS signal gets picked up within seconds.

Anyone had something similar, perhaps swimming?

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

@SunsetRunner Welcome back to the Community. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with your Ionic. 

I appreciate the details mentioned regarding the activity you were performing. Since you started the bike exercise, it could be that water touched the screen and therefore this stopped the activity. When you're tracking swimming, touch will be disabled and it will avoid that your activity pauses. 

In this case, you may want to manually log the activity on your Fitbit account. However, this won't show GPS data. 

I'll be around if you have any additional questions. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

A few others have reported that their run mode prematurely stops durring a run. 

As for using the watch during kiting I would be cautious hitting the water at those speeds could put more force on the unit then what it was designed to withstand. 

Best Answer