Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS stop mid run (Ionic)

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Just went for my first run with my new ionic (fully updated) - locked onto GPS OK after about 30s and worked fine for the first 10 miles, then last 2 miles I noticed the run tracker was still tracking but the GPS was showing 'searching for connection' and when I look at my route afterwards the route stops 2 miles from the end. 

At the time the sky was completely clear with no clouds, and I was running along quite a wide street with 2 story buildings on each side, so really shouldn't have been stretching the GPS.

Is this a common problem? If it happens I a lot I think I will have to return it. But I want to find out ASAP before my warranty runs out. Obviously it makes a GPS running watch pretty useless if this is happening...

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

GPS can be dodgy even at the best of times. My phone and my car GPS both lose connection at times even on fine clear sunny days. Could be many causes none of which I'm 100% sure about. Satellite may go out of range b4 a new one comes into range.

Low power on the watch.

Signal interference from cell towers or other stronger GPS signals in the area.

Curvature of the earth may mean your route takes you out of line of sight.

Buildings may have interfered depends on where the satellite was on the horizon.

Other reasons could be:

North Koreans shot down the Satellite

Hackers hacking the GPS signals

Alien interference piggy backing on the GPS signal to co-ordinate their attack

Some idiot hit the off switch by mistake

My suggestion would be to run the same route again a couple of times at the same and different time of day and see if the same thing occurs, if it does then pick a different route and try that.

If it keeps happening no matter where you run or what time you run then perhaps get your fitbit replaced if needed.

GPS uses a bit of power so keep an eye on the battery level as low power will almost certainly impact GPS tracking

Best Answer
0 Votes