Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gym equipment and chest monitors?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just bought a Lifecycle GX which has a Polar HR compatible receiver. My question, do I have to buy a Polar type chest monitor, or can I use my Fitbit Ionic? (so that I can use the full data from the spinning bike computer)

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

No, Fitbit Ionic does not talk to Polar gear or Garmin or Suunto. In fact at this moment Fitbit does not talk to any HR strap.... The only thing you can pair to the Fitbit Ionic right now are bluetooth headphones made by various brands but not all work correctly.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

The Polar works with the chest strap. So you need to buy a Polar chest strap.

Ionic is a watch that uses Heart rate on the Monitor it self.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also not knowing this model you bought you should really ask this in the Polar forum. For all I know it doesn't need a chest strap. But you need to do the research over there

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the reply, however its really a question if Fitbit 'talks' to Polar compatible HR receivers. As the spinning bikes built in computer isnt branded Polar,....they arent going to know either. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, Fitbit Ionic does not talk to Polar gear or Garmin or Suunto. In fact at this moment Fitbit does not talk to any HR strap.... The only thing you can pair to the Fitbit Ionic right now are bluetooth headphones made by various brands but not all work correctly.

Best Answer

According to the Versa manual this option is coming to the Versa, my guess since the two run the same IS that there is a chance the Ionic will be getting this option in the future. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue wrote:

According to the Versa manual this option is coming to the Versa, my guess since the two run the same IS that there is a chance the Ionic will be getting this option in the future. 

@Rich_Laue I can't find anything in Versa manual to suggest that it will support a) sending HR to gym equipment, or b) pairing with external HRMs (chest straps).

I did find this thread:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Versa/Is-it-possible-to-use-an-external-HR-chest-strap/m-p/2640981#M...

Where Fitbit employee confirmed no support for external HR monitor.

Could you please point out the page number in the Versa manual, where it states that support for broadcasting HR to external equipment, or support for pairing with external HRM will be supported?

Thanks

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

Many thanks for all the replies. It does appear I have to buy a chest strap. However I would be intrigued to learn if Fitbit have considered this issue? Clearly I will still wear my Ionic to track my exercise, however the data the spinning bike has is more useful as it will have my miles, RPM etc. Its also directly in front on a large LCD screen. If the Ionic was able to talk to the receiver then I wouldn't need to put money in Polars pocket....perhaps thats the issue!

Best Answer
0 Votes