Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart Rate Inaccuracy

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just purchased a Fitbit Ionic yesterday after years of using a Charge HR. I ran all updates and followed the instructions for proper setup last night. I went for my first run this morning and my heart rate numbers were completely wrong. The Ionic showed my HR at 106 while running uphill. I know from both past devices and counting my pulse manually that my HR should probably be in the 160-170 range. If anyone can explain if I'm doing something wrong that would be great. I'm a Fitbit fan and I would love for this product to live up to expectations but my results this morning were concerning. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

I'm in the same boat you are. Last night I wore my new buddy (got my Ionic yesterday too) and my Alta HR just to see if there were any inaccuracies. The HR monitor on both were drastically different: The Alta HR was about 10 BPM less than the Ionic.

I'm giving my new buddy at least a day or two to get to know me. It takes that long to get measurements anyway, so I would do the same if I were you. My HR already seems more accurate and the steps seen accurate as well.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

It's very likely that the Ionic is more accurate than previous devices.  So, what you're reading now is probably more accurate do to the improved sensors.  I have noticed that when I work out now, I am more in the peak and cardio zones than before.  Also, my resting heart rate is about 10 BPM higher.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@iceman28 wrote:

I just purchased a Fitbit Ionic yesterday after years of using a Charge HR. I ran all updates and followed the instructions for proper setup last night. I went for my first run this morning and my heart rate numbers were completely wrong. The Ionic showed my HR at 106 while running uphill. I know from both past devices and counting my pulse manually that my HR should probably be in the 160-170 range. If anyone can explain if I'm doing something wrong that would be great. I'm a Fitbit fan and I would love for this product to live up to expectations but my results this morning were concerning. 

How can we possibly tell you what you're doing wrong, if you don't tell us what you're doing? 

Think of it this way, you go to a car forum and ask, "I can't turn on my car, what am I doing wrong?" 

We cannot help you  if you don't help us help you. Please elaborate on how you're wearing the device.

The best anyone can do to help you with the little information you gave us is to link you to a basic "how to wear" guide. So here you go, how to wear your ionic. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ggalexgg, I have been wearing the Fitbit on my wrist per the instructions. I did not have the Ionic on my forehead or attached to my dog. For some additional information, I use two legs to run. They work in a manner where one leg goes in front of the other and the process repeats. Now you know what I was doing. The Fitbit Ionic HR reading was wrong.

I suppose I could have worded my original post better. The heart rate reading on my Fitbit is bad. Is anyone else experiencing this? If so, did anyone find a potential fix?

Maybe someone had a similar problem and found a solution or maybe I received a faulty unit. It seems possible that there could be users out there who can offer ideas for what the problem might be and potential steps to move forward.

Best Answer

I went for a cross fit session yesterday and didn't turn on the sport tracking... it was showing ca. 110bpm when I know normally it would be 140-170bpm  ... I turned on the sport exercise and it went up to ca 150bpm.  I have to add that it went without power for a week a month ago when i forgotten my cable somewhere. Had it since Christmas and haven't got this issues before which makes me wander if any of those readings are valid or not?

Definitely following this post.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Its off, compare it to a chest strap (H10) and it can sometime show 15+or- difference

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am also having the same issue. I have had my Ionic for about 2.5 months now, and at first the heart rate  reading was very accurate. But in the last week and a half, I will look down during peak performance in my workout, and it will read a 90 -100 on my heart rate. Impossible. I have tried taking it off, moving to the other wrist, tightening it, loosening it, cleaning the sensor area, moving it up my wrist and down, but NOTHING is working to fix it. I also reset the watch to factory setting and reinstalled, and did the latest update. Still completely incorrect. Just for good measure I used a garmin arm strap monitor while wearing the Ionic to compare. During my workout the garmin strap monitor read a 178, which was close to the treadmill reading of 177, and the Ionic was reading 122. Just don't know how it would go from working just great to not even being close!?!?

Best Answer