Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Height in metres rather than floors

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

As a hiker I'm more interested in measuring my climbing in meters rather than floors. Can my Ionic be setup to do that? If not how many meters is a floor equivalent to? 

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

It can't track meters at the moment. It tracks a floor when you gain 10 feet (3 meters) in height while continuously walking.

The tricky thing about using it for altitude gain when hiking is that only completed "floors" count. So, if you rise 9 feet, level off for a few steps, then rise another 9 feet then you rise 18 feet but get zero floors. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can you explain that a bit more clearly, please?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @philevedoug and welcome to the Community.  I hope I can help you.  Fitbit’s floor counter uses a relative altimeter.  It looks for a change in barometric pressure when walking up stairs or a hill.  It’s very different from a hiking altimeter, which uses GPS coordinates.

Using Steve’s example, if you climb less than 10 ft (9 m), then level off, you don’t get credit for a floor.  My real world example.  A nearby trail has a 1400 ft elevation gain.  I usually get about 125 floors, not the expected 140.  The trail goes up, levels off, and goes down before going back up.

Fitbit seems to count floors as a fun fact.  We are encouraged to take the stairs instead of the elevator to be active.  It’s your way of saying, “See, I took the stairs.”

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes