Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICON SPO2 sensor support

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I would like to know when the SPO2 sensor will provide Data logging for review.in the dashboard.

Phil

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

A warm welcome to the Community @phorner! This feature, it is not currently available. In the future, this sensor could give consumers the opportunity to identify potential health issues like sleep apnea. Fitbit is still exploring how this could manifest in the consumer experience, but such technology would use this sensor. 

Thanks for stopping by, see you around!

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

A warm welcome to the Community @phorner! This feature, it is not currently available. In the future, this sensor could give consumers the opportunity to identify potential health issues like sleep apnea. Fitbit is still exploring how this could manifest in the consumer experience, but such technology would use this sensor. 

Thanks for stopping by, see you around!

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

One of the reasons I got the Ionic was for the SPO2 data.  I was dismayed to find that it is not available. 

Best Answer
I agree software firmware needs to keep up with hardware

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

:"Fitbit is still exploring how this could manifest in the consumer experience"

yup, we added this gizmo to the watch....

what does it do ?

...beats me !  it may, or may not, do something, someday...

Best Answer

Me too. I'm very disappointed, especially with the blaze response. 

(That's bla zay, not blaze!)

Best Answer

@phorner @Zoethe @POTATOEMAN @AlUnix I opened a feature request to give some visibility on SpO2 sensor.

You can vote for it and hopefully it will make fitbit guys release a firmware for it !

Vote to Release-SpO2-feature-for-Ionic

Best Answer

Hardware has to come first before software can be developed. Can't make USB drivers without a USB port...

I don't see this as a guffaw at all. Now that the sensor is present, Fitbit can take some time to develop the analysis and software end of the equation.  And if it's classed as SaMD (Software as Medical Device), there will need to be FDA approval or pre-approval.

This isn't Fitbit fumbling the ball. It's them planning ahead of the competition.

Ask yourself, would you rather they left the sensor off until the software is ready to roll, and then have to purchase an Ionic 2 separately just for the SpO2 sensor? Or would you rather have the hardware in place, and just need to wait for the firmware/app?

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

This feature was advertised on every press release I read. Even the latest ones from the BBC.

Do you have ports on your laptop which are not working ? No.

Same for the Ionic, the sensor is there, more likely there is software ready but lacking certification. So what ? Just release the function under a "beta" or any other disclaimer.

We are guinea pigs with this first smartwatch so let's be it fully 🙂 

Best Answer
Amen!!!!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@Maxime_ wrote:

This feature was advertised on every press release I read. Even the latest ones from the BBC.

Do you have ports on your laptop which are not working ? No.

Same for the Ionic, the sensor is there, more likely there is software ready but lacking certification. So what ? Just release the function under a "beta" or any other disclaimer.

We are guinea pigs with this first smartwatch so let's be it fully 🙂 

Actually I do have a flaky USB port on a laptop, but that's besides the issue. As another esteemed community member has already pointed out, many computers shipped with USB ports with no way to use them, until the software/drivers were developed. Kind of the same situation, no?

Can you link to any press release that promises more than the existence of the sensor? The ones I saw were pretty careful in their language about this being new technology.

I'm not sure what your experience is with FDA certification, but you can't just call something (potentially) medically-related "beta" and release it. Imagine if any new medical device could just be "beta-tested" on the population without approval? That's why the FDA exists. I have no idea if the FDA is involved with this. It was just meant to serve as a completely reasonable possibility for delay that has nothing to do with Fitbit or their development.

Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WavyDavey  Listen, I'm not writting these messages and the SpO2 feature request to open a flame war.

This is meant constructive and supportive. I use and like Fitbit afterall, which is why I am demanding. And also to remind fitbit that the smartwatch market is at war and a unique feature is worth it, especially at the price point they position themselves on the Ionic.

So FDA or not, keep working on the code and release early (advertising beta features as such) until it is validated. This would not be the first time from them or others.

And in my part of the world there is no FDA 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Maxime_ wrote:

@WavyDavey  Listen, I'm not writting these messages and the SpO2 feature request to open a flame war.

This is meant constructive and supportive. I use and like Fitbit afterall, which is why I am demanding. And also to remind fitbit that the smartwatch market is at war and a unique feature is worth it, especially at the price point they position themselves on the Ionic.

So FDA or not, keep working on the code and release early (advertising beta features as such) until it is validated. This would not be the first time from them or others.

And in my part of the world there is no FDA 😉

Wow, a world without the FDA? I can hardly imagine. 😉

I fully support the suggestion. However, it's best to search the Feature Suggestion before starting a new one. This suggestion exists here with over 100 votes.

If we take our votes to that suggestion, Fitbit will know there's wide interest in this feature. If we create separate request threads, it splits the votes and they might not see the popularity of the suggestion. Just a thought.

Dave | California

Best Answer

Well, it’s now been a year since the promise of an spO2 sensor.. and do we have it yet?  .. of course not! I’ve put my ionic on eBay.. fed up of waiting for nothing. I WILL NEVER buy Fitbit again.. they have blatently LIED or at very least mislead us into purchasing the ionic. They’ve well and truly lost my trust. FitBit need to get their act together and then maybe they’ll workout why their profits are taking a nose dive!!

Enderman
Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit have announced the Sleep Beta program for a limited time using SpO2.. See this link

Here is Fitbit's announcement

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

Fingers crossed that the FDA moves it along quickly!

Best Answer
0 Votes