Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If i buy the Ionic today, do I have to update?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Do you guys know/think, if it will come with the new firmware already installed, or will I have to go thorugh what it seems to be a very painful process of setting it up?

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
36 REPLIES 36

Mine seems to have come with it installed, but no idea if they all will. My set up was really easy, but I know some people have struggled.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine was set up in seconds, so I think mine came with the latest firmware.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

when did you buy yours?

Best Answer
0 Votes

thta is encoursging, when did oyu buy yours?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Aurita - Some of the Ionics will ship with the latest firmware, others, depending on when they were manufactured, will need an update. I don't think buying it from Fitbit, versus another retailer will really made a difference in that regard. I will tell you that my firmware update was flawless. Typically, people who post on the forums are those who have issues - this can present a skewed view of reality - in my opinion.

Best Answer

Thanks for this reply. I am dying to get my hands in one, but I really can not afford the time now to set up if things go badly, so I am trying to hold off

Best Answer

@Aurita wrote:

Do you guys know/think, if it will come with the new firmware already installed, or will I have to go thorugh what it seems to be a very painful process of setting it up?

I think it all depends on the manufacturing date. I plan to wait for Black Friday and hope they have the kinks worked out. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I pre ordered my Fitbit the very first day they offered pre order and mine must have come with the newest firmware because the set up was very easy and it hasn't updated anything since I got it. I have had no problems with anything. I didn't even have problems setting up music or my waterproof headphones on the very first try. I did read all the directions and follow everything exactly as it said to do for every step of the way from the time I took it out of the box. (I do that with everything, it drives my friends crazy.) I know that for the initial set up and transferring music I had it plugged into the charger. Just read the directions and follow every step to the "T" and I think you will be fine.

Michele from Belleview, Florida
Best Answer
0 Votes

you follow the directions that came with the ionic, or the ones posted here somewhere?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just followed the on-screen instructions for setting the Ionic as a new device on my phone as well as the on-screen instructions given to me by the watch itself in the process.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you, I am gettigng more and more excited about it. I will be away this weekend so don't want to order it until after i comeback and have time to upgrade my iphone to the latest version before i attempt to set up the ionic

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you're already using a different Fitbit then you already have the app on your phone and when you add the ionic to that phone the directions will come up automatically. I deleted my Surge before I added my Ionic. If you don't already have a Fitbit you will just download the app and it will tell you what to do from there.  Easy Peasy !! You'll love it !!  Just for reference I have an IPhone 6 plus.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, I also have an iphone 6 plus and have two fitbits: a ONE and the original HR charge, and both of them are installed and working. will prefer not to have to delete any, in case the ionic doe snto work

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you want one, just go to Best Buy and pick it up. My wife ordered one for me the other day from the Fitbit website, and it is going to take over a week to get here.

Best Answer
0 Votes

thanks. I usually buy it from fitbit because that way I can also buy extra charges, I have two sets, one at home and another at work for each one of my fitbits. Will see fi they also have that at best buy

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Aurita When you have multiple Fitbits on there does it mess anything up? I never even thought about keeping the old ones installed. I have 4 Fitbits because I keep upgrading. I only had problems with 1 after it was a year old and they sent me a new one no problem. I am a total Fitbit Fan. I also always order directly from Fitbit. I wonder if you buy from Best Buy would you still get the same customer service as if from Fitbit directly?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Soemtimes it gets a little crazy, does not know which one ot sync, but usually all that it takes is to reset my phone. I used my ONE for day to day stuff and keep counting my steps. The charge HR I used it jsut when I want to track my HR. My intention was to use the HR only, but it dirves me crazy having to charge it that frequently and somehow it counts way less steps than my ONE and since I dont have too much free time I use the oNE to make sure I hit my 10,000 steps, real or not. I love seeing my stats and that I have not missed one single day since 3 years or so ago that I ahve not done  at least 10,000 steps every single day

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @Auntm001, there is no problem having multiple Fitbits on a single account.  The only restriction is that you can only have one of each type.  Fitbit does not recommend wearing more than one at a time, and you can occasonally "lose" steps if you switch between trackers on the same day without syncing them both first.

I mainly wear my Alta HR day to day but swap over to my lovely new Ionic when I am running or hiking, because I love the built in GPS feature.

@Aurita, my Ionic only took seconds to set up (did not require a firmware update).  The advantage of buying from Fitbit is the 45 day return guarantee.  I am pretty sure that accessories (like additional chargers) are only available from Fitbit, not other retailers.

Wherever you buy (as long as it is an authorised retailer -- like Best Buy) you will get the same service from Fitbit Customer Support, so no worry on that score.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

The One was the very first Fitbit I ever had. It was too small and I think I ended up putting it in the washer with my clothes. I had the Charge HR and The Surge and now I love the Ionic. I never lose charge and I use mine for everything including the GPS for biking and running. To make sure it stays charged I just put it on the charger every time I take a shower. My charger is plugged into the bathroom wall and now it's just habit to put it on the charger when I take a shower. I sit at a desk all day and The Ionic beeps at me anytime I need to get up and walk to make sure I hit my hourly steps. I am a total Ionic fan. I bought the teal one with the gold and it is gorgeous. I was afraid I wouldn't like the color. I always go with black but I am so glad I got the color one! 

Best Answer