Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving the accuracy of the Fibit Ionics Step Count

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have been using a combination of by FB One and Garmin VivoActive HR for well over a year, I bought a FB Ionic because I thought: At last! I could get the accuracy of the step and stair count of the Fitbit with the GPS cycling and swim features of my Garmin.  I goal was to get down to only one Tracker.  But I am seeking a solution to  improve the FB Ionic's step accuracy without GPS as GPS does run down the battery too quickly for my lifestyle (BTW have yet to test the swim lap accuracy). 

I am extremely disappointed with the FB Ionics step accuracy.  It is under-counting my steps worse than the Garmin count.   You can not explain it as the movement from the TV to the the chair of fixing something in the kitchen!  I took an apx hour off leash hike with my dogs in the followed by another apx 30 min walk with both of my dogs on leash.  What I am seeing is that both off and on leash resulted in under-count of my steps but when I am holding my dogs' leash it seemed worse.  The FB One total step count showed 15,000 steps for the two walks.  When compared to the FB One the Ionic was more than 3000 steps LESS than the FB One. The Garmin was apx 800 steps less than the FB One. 

I love my FB One and waited so long for GPS and swim features of the Garmin to be on a FB but unless I can find a workable solution to what I am already experiencing, I am thinking about ditching the FB Ionic. 

I realize I have only had the FB Ionic a couple of weeks and my loyalty to FB going all the way back to the first fitbit (I quickly transitioned ito t from a BodyBugg) makes me want to give it a bit more time. I have owned the FB Charge which was pretty good but wanted the cycling and swim features that were  suggested to FB years ago which is how I ended up with the Garmin. 

So now to be completely honest that I currently regret dropping $$$ for this device!  Can someone please help make me happier about my purchase or be honest with me regarding under-counting of steps? - Is this the best this tracker can do or is there something I can fix in the settings to Improve my step count  (Already have the non-dominate hand designated)?  No Patronizing or speculations please I have been with FitBit since the first device and am not an idiot!  I need real info and actions I can take to resolve this!

I was already thinking of doing a You-Tube review of my extensive tracking experiences and am extremely surprised that I am favoring the Garmin in that review if I did it today which is not what I expected.  

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

I agree - for $300 you'd expect some accuracy - horrible stair and sleep tracker especially

Best Answer
0 Votes

Was there any resolution to this?  I just got the ionic, and typically test it using mt faithful Fitbit one.  I too have been with Fitbit since the start.  The Ionic is so far undercutting my steps.  I had the charge 2 but it recently died after 14 months.  I hope I don’t regret getting this over the charge 2.

Best Answer
0 Votes