Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Bluetooth music quality

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello everyone, I wanted to understand if anyone else is experiencing a very bad quality when it comes to music streaming via bluetooth from the watch.

I know that streaming over bluetooth implies a loss of quality, but there is a significant difference when compared to the same song (mp3 320kbps) played via bluetooth from my pc or phone to the same pair of bluetooth headphones, so I'm comparing two different bluetooth streams.

Now, given also the already widely discussed sync issues of the ionic, this makes me think that the whole thing might be caused by hardware problems in the bluetooth module, that leads to a high packet loss hence the poor streaming quality and the sync issues.

Is anyone else experiencing that? Does any fitbit engineer/developer have a more plausible technical explanation for this behaviour?

It's frustrating because the watch is overall amazing and it would be an hassle to return it, mostly because I wouldn't feel like starting a russian roulette of replacing it until I find a completely functioning one.

Moderator Edit: Subject for clarity 

Best Answer
66 REPLIES 66
no, none that I know of as yet.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue here. Very low volume first couple of runs, then was deafened the next time I connected my AirPods. Tonight couldn’t get the volume below whisper level. Pretty useless. Also keep disconnecting, even though both the Versa and AirPods are fully charged. Frustrating, and as you say, on s fantastic piece of kit!

Best Answer

I've just got my Ionic, my wife got a Versa at the same time. I have a pair of Audiofly Bluetooth headphones that run Bluetooth v4.2. They suffer the poor quality issue on both the Ionic and Versa. It's as if the music is being streamed/played too fast (hence the pitch shift) and then it chops out for a fraction of a second to re-sync. The Audiofly headphones work perfectly with my Nexus 5x phone.

My wife has a pair of BlueAnt headphones that run Bluetooth v4.1. These work fine on both the Ionic and the Versa. 

I understand that both the Ionic and Versa run Bluetooth v4.0 LE. It's my theory that on Fitbit devices, this works fine with headphones running Bluetooth v4.1 but not Bluetooth v4.2. 

Here's to hoping that Fitbit can offer a software update to fix this. 

Best Answer

A bit of further info from me. I just tried my Ionic with a friends Bose QuietComfort 35 II, which run Bluetooth v4.1, I believe. Absolutely no issue, perfect quality. This further adds to my theory (still obviously just a theory) that the issue is compatibility between Fitbit's bluetooth v4.0 LE and bluetooth v4.2 headphones. I'm going to try and get my hands on another set of bluetooth headphones running v4.2 and see whether they also have the streaming/quality issue.

Best Answer

Yes. At first I thought it was the Flyer headphones and I returned them. Then I started using them with my other Bluetooth headphones and the connection was even worse. I can’t listen to music at all while running. It is beyond annoying. I might return the watch because of it 

Yes, horrendous. Cuts in and out and sounds like it’s skipping. Really not happy. That was the whole point of purchasing. 

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes
I can highly recommend Taotronics Bluetooth earphones. Only cost £18 and do the job brilliantly. 👍

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Link no longer works.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree. I am so frustrated I paid so much for this and I still have to bring an ipod with me. False advertising big time

Best Answer
0 Votes
Just get some cheap Bluetooth earphones. I got a set for £18. Sound is great! They stay in place, and they’re exercise-proof. 😉

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Seriously I went to one of those resale refurbished stores and got a pair of biconic wireless earphones Bluetooth version 4.2 and they work perfectly I had Altec Lansing that were 4.2 did not work these are the literal Wireless just in earbuds and they work flawlessly.

Bluetooth version 4.2 biconic literal no wire wireless headphones work great head version 4.2 Altec Lansing didn't work because they had the wire on it.

@Vannawestendorp

wrote:

I agree. I am so frustrated I paid so much for this and I still have to bring an ipod with me. False advertising big time

Seriously I went to one of those resale refurbished stores and got a pair of biconic wireless earphones Bluetooth version 4.2 and they work perfectly I had Altec Lansing that were 4.2 did not work these are the literal Wireless just in earbuds and they work flawlessly.

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer

Just pick up a cheap pair of wireless Bluetooth earphones. Sorted!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey everyone! I apologize for the delay in my reply. I appreciate the details that you've mentioned as well for the troubleshoot that each of you have performed. 

I would like you to confirm that you've followed this procedure to use music control. If you're having any issue with it, please check this article for some troubleshoot that can help in this type of cases Why can't I control music with my Fitbit device?

Additionally, you may want to check this article for more information while using Bluetooth Is the Fitbit app interfering with other Bluetooth devices?

I'll be around if you need further assistance. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thats my whole issue, it connects no problem if I stand in the corner of the gym and don't move I might be able to listen to a song but the minute I move my arm, go for a run etc it gets scratchy, skips like a damaged record. so frustrating I can barely stand it. I am about to switch to Iphone witch I hate just so I can have a tracker that works.

Also seriously the way you have to add music is ridiculous and takes forever

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great to see you around @motoxrunner. Thank you so much for your feedback on the music process. Fitbit is always trying to improve the customer experience.

I would like you to confirm that you've followed this procedure to control music with your Fitbit device?. If you've have tried it but you're still getting inconveniences with it, try these steps Why can't I control music with my Fitbit device?

Also, here's the other help articles that can help you if you're downloading music to your watch and this one if you can't download music to your Ionic

I'll be around if you have any other question. Robot Happy

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks. But the original post was not about music controls. It was about the connection with apple ear buds - poor connection and inability to control volume.

You have simply pointed out the obvious “how to” connect. That’s not the issue...

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Actually my original issue was just terrible music quality. Like 96kb/S compressed mp3 from 1992 level quality. I’ve always been able to control volume independent of music playing just fine, even used it to alter volume when playing via aux to my car a few times, or skip tracks. 

Best Answer

I have resolved my issue with listening to music via my fitbit ionic by buying the fitbit flyer earbuds.  The music is clear and audible.  I'm happy I can now listen to my music while working out. I tried 3 other types of earbuds before I decided to bit the bullet and just get the fitbit flyers.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello! Welcome back @Codsworthy and @Mini-12, I'm glad to see you again participating in our forums. Let me give a hand with your inquiries.

@Codsworthy I would like to let you know that Fitbit is always striving to improve our customer's Fitbit experience with our products and services. We appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers as such information help us to evaluate our procedures for future cases. 

@Mini-12 Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with your Ionic watch and our Fitbit Flyers, I'm sure that other users will find your post helpful. Hope that you're enjoying your Flyers the same way we do.

I'll be around if you need anything else guys. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm glad that the moderators haven't turned deaf ears to the ionic's bluetooth hardware/software quality issue; and I'm glad Fitbit is "striving to improve" our experience. I'm curious how the company is making progress regarding this specific quality issue? What has the company done currently to make things right? While buying the Flyers worked for @Mini-12, it hasn't worked for others - myself included. The Flyer+Ionic didn't have a normal audio experience on day 1, and customers like myself have been patient attempting providing information on the problem and attempting workarounds: swapping their device to the other wrist, turning devices on and off, changing gait to keep audio connection, trying to pair with other speakers and headphones, etc, to get more information about the problem. It should be sufficient to say that after a full year of knowing about the Ionic's bluetooth sound quality/interuption issue, that Fitbit Inc should have enough information to take *some* unified course of action to make things right. What is Fitbit Inc's plan to make good on the product they advertised and sold to us? I'm asking as both an investor and a customer.
Best Answer
I'm sorry you didn't manage to get the fitbit ionic to work for you. I
am unable to pair the ionic with my OPPO A57 phone for some reason so
this has cheesed me off. The only reason I bought the ionic was for the
music but had I of known that there was so many problems with this HRM I
would never had bought it.
Best Answer
0 Votes