Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Bluetooth music quality

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello everyone, I wanted to understand if anyone else is experiencing a very bad quality when it comes to music streaming via bluetooth from the watch.

I know that streaming over bluetooth implies a loss of quality, but there is a significant difference when compared to the same song (mp3 320kbps) played via bluetooth from my pc or phone to the same pair of bluetooth headphones, so I'm comparing two different bluetooth streams.

Now, given also the already widely discussed sync issues of the ionic, this makes me think that the whole thing might be caused by hardware problems in the bluetooth module, that leads to a high packet loss hence the poor streaming quality and the sync issues.

Is anyone else experiencing that? Does any fitbit engineer/developer have a more plausible technical explanation for this behaviour?

It's frustrating because the watch is overall amazing and it would be an hassle to return it, mostly because I wouldn't feel like starting a russian roulette of replacing it until I find a completely functioning one.

Moderator Edit: Subject for clarity 

Best Answer
66 REPLIES 66

Hello guys @Kilt and @Mini-12, it's always nice to see you participating in our forums.

@Kilt Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for the feedback that was provided about our Ionic watch. At this specific moment, as a Community Moderator I'm unable to gather more details of your specific questions about how Fitbit is working towards this situation. Rest assure, we're always striving to improve the Fitbit experience as you mentioned. 

@Mini-12 Thanks for bringing your pairing difficulties to my attention. Let me share with you that the OPPO A57 is not a supported mobile device, therefore, you'll encounter connection difficulties. However, this doesn’t prevent you from syncing as you can always sync using a computer by download Fitbit Connect. I recommend you to check this post  which will explain you how to download our Fitbit app in your computer as an alternate pairing option if your mobile device is not listed as compatible.

I’ll be around if you need anything else.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please read my post...the moderators definitely haven't turned deaf ear, they just can't do anything about it.  I keep seeing the same/similar comments and threads but not one moderator has posted any progress on the issue...

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/Music-cutting-out-every-15-seconds/m-p/3458968#M94898

Good luck and hope the investment holds.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @CdnBcn1 nice to see you again participating in our forums. My apologies for the delayed reply. 

I'd like to appreciate your patience while we work to improve our products and services. As per previously mentioned, this information always help us to evaluate our devices to ensure that we're delivering and fulfilling our users needs. Thanks for taking the time to share your post on another thread. 

I'll be here if you have any additional questions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for your note and rather than repeating the same non commital
statement many of us have heard repeated regarding this issue, maybe it
would help to acknowledge how long the issue has been going on (since the
ionic first came out?) and what the cause of the issue is. I think 2 plus
years is long enough for any consumer tech company to resolve a weak
Bluetooth connection issue - I implore any moderator to please answer
honestly and not with some pre-scripted placating response.
Best Answer

Thank you, well said. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello again @CdnBcn1 and @motoxrunner, I'm glad to continue assisting. Pardon me for the delayed reply.

Please note that my only intention is to provide assistance and acknowledge the feedback that was submitted. As a Community Moderator, I'm unable to provide you with a specific time-frame or date when this will be completely fixed because this is directly handled by an specialized team at Fitbit, rest assured, they're working on this situation.

If I get any update from our specialized teams that are working on this, I'll make sure to post it in here for you guys. Your understanding and patience are appreciated. 

I'll be around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Greetings,

I've owned a Fitbit Ionic for several months, and like everyone that has posted on this thread so far, I was drawn to spend the $300 based on the new features that allow for music/Pandora play directly from the Ionic device. Confirming the majority of the experiences already described, I did not have a problem loading music or connecting to a Bluetooth device, nor changing songs or volume. Those features have worked just as advertised.

What is not working as advertised, is a reasonable quality of the music playback while on Blue Tooth devices. No matter what the distance is between my wrist and my headphones, I experience the following:

-Extreme garbling of music

-Timing seems to be close, but there is a notable "skipping noise" running throughout each moment of playback

-Raised pitch, making every song sound cartoonish.

I've gone through 3 different Blue Tooth headsets, each works perfect with my iPhone, but when I attempt to play the same songs through my Ionic, the quality is absolutely terrible. I've switched back to running music from my iPhone, but further tethers me to a phone and drains the phone battery.

I'm honestly a pretty laid back person for most things and don't consider myself to have unreasonable expectations. However - I echo the frustration that each of these FitBit customers have already voiced - there seems to be something wrong with the design in hardware or software of the FibBit Ionic product, and it is extremely disappointing for a $300 purchase, but even more disappointing for the Customer Service representation on this product to completely avoid the issue. Every response is about something that isn't our actual problem and it is clear that our concerns are being placated.  

I'm asking FitBit to do right by their loyal consumers as we are voicing our experiences respectfully in this Community Forum, but so far, we are not being heard. 

Best Answer
Hi

I am now using the Fitbit Flyer headphones which work beautifully. I no
longer have any issues with music playback however, I do have issues
with Bluetooth connection to my phone.

I've done everything I can to try and make it work but to no avail, I
give up.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi ionic user. I also have ionic as stated. Unfortunately my news isn't
good. It seems the Bluetooth problems your having are the same as mine.
The exact 3 or more issues you mentioned is what I've experienced in short
few days I've owned.
I could say I'm guessing but fairly confident the Bluetooth
receiver/transmitter built inside lacks size or quality needed. Perhaps
engineers thought the standard 20-30ft wasn't necessary for distance. A
software issue from tech aspect seems unlikely but possible. Especially
if software allows hardware to increase signal.
Companies seem to be sacrificing everything today to get products out
before ready to increase success no longer wise to the long term no matter
how much established. Shame
Best Answer
0 Votes
Well said and I hope our posts will prevent others from buying this falsely
advertised product. I wish the reviewers and other sites would have
actually tested the bluetooth quality, might have saved me a lot of
aggravation.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I cannot believe this post is still going. I am using another brand that
starts will G and end with min. I love my fitbit but the music bluetooth
was nightmare best of luck
Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same thing with Versa and a pair of brand new Bluetooth 5.0 earbuds. The earbuds sounded nice with my phone but crackly and skippy with the fitbit. I connected a pair of Cowin e7, with Bluetooth 4.0 and the sound is remarkable. Just finished a workout with zero connectivity issues and zero sound issues. E7s are a little pricey and bulky for workouts, so I have two pairs of earbuds with 4.1 on the way to test. We will see.

Crazy how one of the most popular features is such a pain to setup. I'm sure I know why. 

Best Answer
The most frustrating thing about this HRM is that it is no where near as
good as a Garmin or Polar and I purely bought it for the convenience of
not having to carry my phone around to listen to music but what a pain
it has turned out to be.

An expensive exercise considering the only way I could listen to music
was to buy the expensive Fitbit Flyer earbuds.
Best Answer
0 Votes

The earphone situation isn't half as annoying as the music software not running on Windows 7. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone, it's a pleasure for me to continue providing assistance with this situation, my sincere apologies for the delay in responding your posts.

I appreciate all of the input that was shared with us on this thread, I totally understand how frustrating this situation can be for each of you and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause to you. Rest assured, we are always working to improve the Fitbit experience with our products and services, therefore, all of the information and details that were shared in each of your posts are really helpful for us to evaluate if we are delivering the best experience with our Fitbit Ionic devices. Your understanding and patience are appreciated while we work to resolve this matter as prompt as possible.

Don't hesitate to ask me any additional questions you may have, I'll be around.   

Best Answer
0 Votes

Does anyone know if there's a solution to this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I currently use a Fitbit Surge and use Beats over ear headphones. I listen to music, audiobooks and other audio files whilst out walking the dogs with no Bluetooth connectivity problems. Music quality is good. GPS works fine.

I am / was thinking of changing to an Ionic. Am I correct in assuming that this is likely to give me a worse experience or after 2 years of people complaining have Fitbit done nothing? 

I would prefer to stick with Fitbit as most family members have one and we enjoy the competition between us for most steps etc.

Any thoughts?

Best Answer
0 Votes
  • I bought an Ionic. Had it for about 18 months when it just stopped working for no apparent reason. If you like Fitbit, stick with your Surge. I got a Garmin 245 Music and like it better. The Fitbit app and community are great, I do miss those.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I wouldn't change to the ionic if you only want it for the music. Mine
works great since I paired it with the Fitbit flyers but at nearly $200
I'm pretty savage that I had to go out and buy another pair of
headphones.

If you want the ionic for training purpose only then I'd go for a Garmin
or Polar watch.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I bought Garmin fenix
Best Answer