Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware Release - 31.1.16

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 12/05/2017

We've just rolled out new firmware for Ionic to 100% of users! This firmware update includes:

NEW APPS AND CLOCK FACES

This Fitbit OS update provides access to new apps and clock faces from Fitbit, Fitbit Labs, popular brands, and developers. The apps span a range of categories such as Flipboard, The New York Times, and Yelp. New apps and clock faces will be added frequently. Browse the available apps in the Fitbit App Gallery.

For more information, see How do I install and manage apps on my Fitbit watch?

FITBIT LABS

We’re introducing Fitbit Labs, which develops experimental apps and clock faces for Ionic. Install an app or clock face to motivate you to stay active, help track and interpret your behavior, and provide intelligent feedback. Choose to adopt a virtual pet and use your steps to keep them fed and happy with one of the FitPet interactive clock faces, or install the Think Fast app and test your ability to rapidly and accurately switch between tasks. Check back often for new apps.

For more information, see What is Fitbit Labs?

FITBIT PAY

Now you can add up to 6 credit and debit cards to Fitbit Pay on Ionic and choose which card you want to use for each transaction. When you’re ready to pay, swipe right on your watch’s screen to scroll through your cards.

Note this feature is coming soon to the Fitbit app for Windows 10.

For more information, see What should I know about Fitbit Pay?

FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS

This release includes other bug fixes and improvements.

For instructions on how to update your Ionic to the latest firmware, follow this link

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
320 REPLIES 320

That is the part I don't understand, @JedLH - why that is "disconcerting/unnerving".  It did what it is designed to do, and successfully completed the update.  Without you knowing it, it also restarted itself after the update was finished.  It may have done that at any time, including when you were sleeping.

Best Answer

@TFC...because it's not a lemon, and they'd have to cut my arm off to get it back

Best Answer

#USAF-Larry

Because by design (at least as per it's own UX directives); it's supposed to complete it -when initiated- via the app, & then signal as such when successfully completed -again via the app.

But in my case I came back to it days later, after previously giving-up & exiting the update process (which seemed to have stalled), & found I had the latest version -hence the confusion/concern.

Best Answer

I've just tried to update the firmware with my oneplusx. The watch said the update failed but my phone says it has been successful. Now I can't get an option on my phone to upgrade. And to make things worse if I now try to use any apps or change the clock face, it won't do it because it says I need to update the firmware. Tried all the things I can think of, factory reset etc. Help

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yea, I would also like a 12 lead EKG and 19 Channel EEG. I have those in my Neuroelectrophysiology Lab buthard to fit on a wrist watch.The other is a Dick Tracy Wrist Radio...
Best Answer
0 Votes

Speculation on what the firmware does or doesn't is totally BS unless Fitbit states via release notes. Sadly Fitbit does not seem to want to share.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I totally agree... would be nice to see. Hopefully fitbit focuses on fixing
problems that are already here (i.e. any exercise app when exited has an
80% chance (roughly) to crash the watch and restart it) instead of "adding
new features" (that probably wont work haha)

And we better not see release notes like some lazy github commits... "fixed
minor bug" and instead, we see "fixed major error on 'back button' event
call"
Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:
I totally agree... would be nice to see. Hopefully fitbit focuses on fixing
problems that are already here (i.e. any exercise app when exited has an
80% chance (roughly) to crash the watch and restart it) instead of "adding
new features" (that probably wont work haha)

And we better not see release notes like some lazy github commits... "fixed
minor bug" and instead, we see "fixed major error on 'back button' event
call"

Programmers get caught up in the tunnel vision approach of adding new features... breaking new ground.... outdoing the competition, and each other. It's the exciting part of the job.... nobody wants to do the boring grunt work of slogging through old code to get things right. Where's the glamour in that? LoL

That's why Fitbit needs to step in and make sure job one is getting things working..... because they don't have a lot of time left to play with. The Ionic, and to a lesser degree the rest of the line-up, needs to start working well, and soon.

Best Answer

Yes - I believe this is the latest version

---
FitBit Ionic (v27:31:1:16), Win10.0 x64, Samsung Galaxy S7 (Android 7.0, Kernel 3.18.14)
Previously Flex and Surge
United Kingdom
Best Answer
0 Votes
We need some Randy Marsh-like characters to become the unsung heroes or
heroines of Fitbit...
Best Answer

Has anyone’s HR gone wacky since the update? I just went on a run and it said I hit 208 bpm! I never got that high with my Charge 2. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

same problem . Says i need to update before I can use the app gallery.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Simple explanation: you're an athletic specimem haha. Did it ask you to
plug it in for 15 seconds (or minutes i can't remember)?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:
Did it ask you to plug it in for 15 seconds (or minutes i can't remember)?

As I recall, it was 15 seconds....

Best Answer
0 Votes

I then uninstalled the Fitbit app and started from scratch . It's all working now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I must honestly say that after the upgrade I have a flawless device. Syncing with my exotic Microsoft Lumia 950XL is a piece of cake. Heartrate is spot on and the calorie calculations are conservative and so they're useful. I'm very happy with the Ionic. When it comes to sports it beats my mates Apple watch.

Microsoft Lumia 950XL, Fitbit Ionic 27.31.1.16
Best Answer

Great to hear, @ErikVerm!  I thought I was the only one.....  Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
I uninstalled and re-installed still get "your fitbit app needs to be updated before you can use the app gallery". I am shown as having ionic version 31.1.16 installed .
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am wasting way too much time trying to get ionic to function as it should have. I wished I could return it and end all these frustrations!

Utterly disappointed!
Best Answer

From what I can see on this forum, the Fitbit app/sync seems to work better with iOS than it does with Android in general. I’m using iOS and haven’t had a single issue yet with Sync. 

Enderman
Best Answer