Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware Release - 31.1.16

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 12/05/2017

We've just rolled out new firmware for Ionic to 100% of users! This firmware update includes:

NEW APPS AND CLOCK FACES

This Fitbit OS update provides access to new apps and clock faces from Fitbit, Fitbit Labs, popular brands, and developers. The apps span a range of categories such as Flipboard, The New York Times, and Yelp. New apps and clock faces will be added frequently. Browse the available apps in the Fitbit App Gallery.

For more information, see How do I install and manage apps on my Fitbit watch?

FITBIT LABS

We’re introducing Fitbit Labs, which develops experimental apps and clock faces for Ionic. Install an app or clock face to motivate you to stay active, help track and interpret your behavior, and provide intelligent feedback. Choose to adopt a virtual pet and use your steps to keep them fed and happy with one of the FitPet interactive clock faces, or install the Think Fast app and test your ability to rapidly and accurately switch between tasks. Check back often for new apps.

For more information, see What is Fitbit Labs?

FITBIT PAY

Now you can add up to 6 credit and debit cards to Fitbit Pay on Ionic and choose which card you want to use for each transaction. When you’re ready to pay, swipe right on your watch’s screen to scroll through your cards.

Note this feature is coming soon to the Fitbit app for Windows 10.

For more information, see What should I know about Fitbit Pay?

FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS

This release includes other bug fixes and improvements.

For instructions on how to update your Ionic to the latest firmware, follow this link

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
320 REPLIES 320

@InkyMyCat wrote:

It's not childish to me and I'm 50 years old.  I like the cute things. Everything doesn't have to be serious in life. 

You are right, @InkyMyCat!  Smiley Happy The world is too serious right now, and needs to lighten up!  I'm over 20 years older than you, and my favorite saying is:

Don't sweat the Small Stuff,

It is all Small Stuff!

Best Answer

Anyone else have all sorts of drama trying to get this update to apply?

I last tried a few days ago, & shortly thereafter gave up in disgust...

So just now I look at the app & just above how long ago it last synced, it says I have this version.

Did it just go & finally apply the update itself in the BG, w.o. any user intervention whatsoever required?

How can I be sure I really do have it, & it all went totally smoothly w.o. any sort of corruption etc.

Moderator Edit: Word Choice

Best Answer
0 Votes

What's happened to the virtual pets? They appear to have vanished overnight 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

Only took 4 or 5 days, but I finally got the update to download.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I updated in 45 minutes through Bluetooth since wifi feature doesn't work.
I am trying to be patient with this watch but it a pain in the

Moderator Edit: Word Choice

Best Answer
0 Votes

You are right virtual pets have been removed and new faces and apps have been added without anyone knowing.

Garmin Fenix 5s Plus, Fitbit Ionic, Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus
Best Answer
0 Votes

I finally found a way to make the Fitbit Ionic consistently sync when I want.
I had to remove the Fitbit app from those that my Android Samsung S7 consistently put to sleep automatically.
But I still need to make sure that the Fitbit app is active (the screen needs to be on). 
I have to keep always sync through the day in the app but I still need to manually connect the Ionic to the wifi available through the Fitbit app (even if the wifi was saved). I think that my phone needs to be connected to the wifi too.

I am frustrated that the Fitbit Ionic cannot just sync on the bluetooth at constant intervals by itself like the Fitbit charge used to do.

It would also be nice that the Ionic told you what is going on while syncing. I wrote here how.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the update. It solved about 90% of the problems I was having. The upgrade process was really not a problem. The Ionic now works more like my previous Surge. Very happy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JedLH wrote:

Anyone else have all sorts of drama trying to get this update to apply?

I last tried a few days ago, & shortly thereafter gave up in disgust...

So just now I look at the app & just above how long ago it last synced, it says I have this version.

WTF????

Did it just go & finally apply the update itself in the BG, w.o. any user intervention whatsoever required?

How can I be sure I really do have it, & it all went totally smoothly w.o. any sort of corruption etc.

Anyone? TY/BR.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is it correct when the ionic states firmware 27.31.1.16 and the app states firmware 31.1.16 ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, mine says the same version numbers with the update loaded.  Enjoy!

Best Answer

Thanks 👍

Best Answer
0 Votes

Watch update took about 30 minutes total to update to 27.31.1.16. Had no issues with the upgrade.  Can see all of the new clock faces, apps, etc...  This update has indeed fixed the Alarms app issue (https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/Crash-when-opening-Alarms-app/m-p/2250296) which was my biggest issue with 27.25.16.7.  It will take some time and regular use to measure the effectiveness ans stability of this long-awaited release.

I recognize that some of us are having difficulties applying the upgrade, and/or are not satisfied with the functionality of it.  However, I also see many of us who are satisfied with the release.  In my opinion (and it is just mine, not trying to speak for anyone else), I think Fitbit did a good job overall with this upgrade.  It has been just a little over two months now since many of us received our new Ionics, but I really think Fitbit packed in quite a lot of new functionality along with addressing many of the bugs & deficiencies in that relatively short time period.   More than anything, I think it demonstrates that Fitbit is really trying hard to improve the product and make its customers happier with their purchase.  Again, it is apparent that this latest update didn't hit the mark with some of us, and the venting/frustration is apparent, but for me it's working wonderfully. My hat's off to the Fitbit Ionic development, QA, and product teams for investing the time and effort to make the product better for all of us.  I anxiously await the next update.

Fitbit Ultra (2012-2016, R.I.P.), Garmin ForeRunner 620 (2016-2017), Fitbit Ionic (2017-2021, RIP) || Samsung Galaxy S10 w/Android 10.0, Windows 10 PC
Best Answer

Thanks

returned mine was faulty I believe 

yet to set up the new one

Best Answer
0 Votes
Glad to hear of your positive experience with the Ionic upgrade. I ran on the beach here yesterday - cold, windy and rainy - and it did great with GPS and bio-metrics. I use medical biosensors in my clinical practice FDA approved and commercial grade, but we have similar software issues with these much more expensive devices.
The Ionic is elegant and beautiful but does require a learning curve, both by the end user and the Fitbit folks.
Best Answer

Can someone/anyone, please address my post, has no-one else experienced what I outlined. TY/BR

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you have version 27.31.1.16 (check under Settings), you should have the latest version.

Don't really understand your question. What is the specific issue you're having?

Just try the various features and see if they work.

Mine would not update in WiFi, but Bluetooth did fine. Took about 25 minutes...which is pretty fast compared to some of the 1 to 4 hour updates I do with commercial software in the office.

Best Answer
0 Votes
@JedLH wrote:

Can someone/anyone, please address my post, has no-one else experienced what I outlined. TY/BR

@MonkeyBrains

My issue is I don't know when or how it updated, I wasn't involved in the process. Last I tried it had bombed out (or at least indicated as such), so I exited out of the whole thing & went about my life. TY/BR.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JedLH,  I don't understand what your problem (issue) is.  If you started the update, and it stopped for some reason, as soon as the tracker reconnected it restarted & finished the update. Your tracker now shows the correct firmware version, so you are good to go. I don't understand what the problem is.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I never had any indication that the update wizard in the app had restarted, & had since successfully completed the update, I just came to it a few days later, & found it now had this version. Just all a bit disconcerting/unnerving. Cheers.

Best Answer
0 Votes