Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware Release - 31.1.16

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 12/05/2017

We've just rolled out new firmware for Ionic to 100% of users! This firmware update includes:

NEW APPS AND CLOCK FACES

This Fitbit OS update provides access to new apps and clock faces from Fitbit, Fitbit Labs, popular brands, and developers. The apps span a range of categories such as Flipboard, The New York Times, and Yelp. New apps and clock faces will be added frequently. Browse the available apps in the Fitbit App Gallery.

For more information, see How do I install and manage apps on my Fitbit watch?

FITBIT LABS

We’re introducing Fitbit Labs, which develops experimental apps and clock faces for Ionic. Install an app or clock face to motivate you to stay active, help track and interpret your behavior, and provide intelligent feedback. Choose to adopt a virtual pet and use your steps to keep them fed and happy with one of the FitPet interactive clock faces, or install the Think Fast app and test your ability to rapidly and accurately switch between tasks. Check back often for new apps.

For more information, see What is Fitbit Labs?

FITBIT PAY

Now you can add up to 6 credit and debit cards to Fitbit Pay on Ionic and choose which card you want to use for each transaction. When you’re ready to pay, swipe right on your watch’s screen to scroll through your cards.

Note this feature is coming soon to the Fitbit app for Windows 10.

For more information, see What should I know about Fitbit Pay?

FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS

This release includes other bug fixes and improvements.

For instructions on how to update your Ionic to the latest firmware, follow this link

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
320 REPLIES 320

Installation worked just fine which is bad news in this case. Very disappointed if not shocked with the new Ionic update.  Are children the new target group? There‘s not a single decent new watch face or sports app I‘d want to use and no, I don‘t want a little pet dog on my Ionic, I am  47 years old. Also, designwise, everything appears like straight from the 80‘s or from kindergarten. Sorry, but from my pov the whole thing is going backwards big time. Also sorry for being that direct. I am German. And upset. Bad combination.

Best Answer

I shall be brave and respond to an upset German!

I agree that a lot are frivolous but there are a few that I like (I'm 57 by the way). I'm currently using "linear clockface" which has exactly the data I want and (in my view) is quite stylish. 

Best Answer

It is more responsive after the update. Swiping through the menu screens is qucker.

Fitbit Ionic, iPhone SE, Using Strava - Bike rides and rowing
Best Answer
0 Votes
That was brave!

i agree, I don't think the pet thing is something this device should have,
I don't indend in getting one for my 7 year old and it does look out of
place installed on something advanced.

I think there a quite a few really good clock faces, all with they're own
twist and feature.

I like to see all my stats so I've selected one that's perfect so I'm
happy. I'm sure they'll be further clock face updates on future firmware
release's
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Steve,

maybe I should mention I have a Apple Watch series 2 in my drawer which offers excellent watch faces BUT fails completely when it comes to use the collected health data. That’s why I returned to FitBit:

they just have the better health/sports app. However, looking at the latest Ionic update (resting heart rate is still higher due to that) I don’t see any improvement in that area... 

Best Answer

I guess if it's taking other people hours to download the update, it's not just my 3rd world internet connection.  I'm going to wait until I have a day off from work and can wait for the update.  My phone has recently developed a random rebooting issue (Google Pixel), so hopefully I can get thru the update without my phone shutting down.

Best Answer
0 Votes
The update didnt take to long I think about 30-40 mins . i was busy with
things anyway so seemed no time.

I'm not a computer/internet buff but obviously download speeds vairy
depending on location??

It took longer to do the initial set up.

I found just leaving it and just carrying on with things helped
Best Answer
0 Votes

Updated last night.  Took 15mins.  Some notables:

- wrist twist to view seems more consistent

- airpods volume works!

- you can now change screen on time in the settings

- love the new app/face selection

- still no Pay in Canada 😞

IMG_20171206_064458.jpg

Pixel XL Oreo Ionic Airpods
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Thanks Steve,

maybe I should mention I have a Apple Watch series 2 in my drawer which offers excellent watch faces BUT fails completely when it comes to use the collected health data. That’s why I returned to FitBit:

they just have the better health/sports app. However, looking at the latest Ionic update (resting heart rate is still higher due to that) I don’t see any improvement in that area... 

@SunsetRunner Hey Roy, I too had an Apple watch Series 2 (and 1) and currently have Gear S3 and the Ionic and all of them reported silly resting heart rates, so it is not just the Ionic! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine updated this morning. Took just under an hour.

Fenix 5 Plus. Previously Ionic and Surge. Google Pixels 3 and 5. Aria. Chromebook. Deezer and Audible.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@ruthiepgI'm not rd worlsd but 4+ hours and all is working OK...

I'm at a loss about the slowness of the update with Fitbit Connect. Must be the Bluetooth link because my internet download is 94mbs and to the WiFi is 38mbs.

So far the syncing is more responsive.

@ruthiepg wrote:

I guess if it's taking other people hours to download the update, it's not just my 3rd world internet connection.  I'm going to wait until I have a day off from work and can wait for the update.  My phone has recently developed a random rebooting issue (Google Pixel), so hopefully I can get thru the update without my phone shutting down.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Spot on heart rate and conservative calorie estimates. Beats the over enthusiastic values my mate gets from his Apple Watch.

Microsoft Lumia 950XL, Fitbit Ionic 27.31.1.16
Best Answer

Struggling with switchr and getting it to work with my home wemo/IFTTT. Has anyone done it successfully?

Best Answer

Transfer music still a nightmare.

I can't understand why fitbit complicate this feature this way.

The advertise said I would be able to transfer my files to the ionic.

I can't.

I must create playlists and the fitbit app does not recognizes the playlists i have created or the .mp3 files.

As far as it goes, I feel robbed.

Best Answer

Updating over bluetooth yesterday was terrible.  It took nearly 6 hours... I'm happy to see new watchfaces though!  

It does seem that notifications are working for me today, without having to unpair my Ionic from my phone.  Whereas in the past I would have to do this every morning to get notifications to work... So far pleasantly pleased with this update.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Update was quite fast, took less than 20mins. 

- Sync is a lot faster now and ends with success unlike in the past where it failed.

- Vibration is weaker even at strong. I really like it strong, maybe an option to return it to strong or add another level so users can choose between current ans past strong levels? Main reason why I get a watch that sends out notifications is because I always missed called and messages.

- New watch faces are still very debatable.

Will monitor notifications and sync.

Utterly disappointed!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Love the update! Question about the Fitbit Lab virtual pet. What do the hearts across the bottom stand for (assuming I’m supposed to do something to fill them all in?), and the treats in the bottom right corner are the ones i need to fulfill 10% of my step goal in order to give him at least 8 in a day? Thank you for the fun clock face and I’m just trying to keep my puppy from running off! 😂

Angela USAIonic, iPhone 6s Plus iOS 11
Best Answer

Updated to to firmware 31.1.16 last night. Love it. Fixed all the little issues with iOS and iphone X. Gonna keep playing with it but was very happy to see integration of the app store and pebble apps finally. Great job!Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I have noticed that with the start of a new day, I no longer get text/call notifications.  I have had success reconnecting to Bluetooth, but today, I have not gotten any notifications on my ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same issue, have you had any progress yet?

Best Answer
0 Votes