Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware Release - 31.1.16

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 12/05/2017

We've just rolled out new firmware for Ionic to 100% of users! This firmware update includes:

NEW APPS AND CLOCK FACES

This Fitbit OS update provides access to new apps and clock faces from Fitbit, Fitbit Labs, popular brands, and developers. The apps span a range of categories such as Flipboard, The New York Times, and Yelp. New apps and clock faces will be added frequently. Browse the available apps in the Fitbit App Gallery.

For more information, see How do I install and manage apps on my Fitbit watch?

FITBIT LABS

We’re introducing Fitbit Labs, which develops experimental apps and clock faces for Ionic. Install an app or clock face to motivate you to stay active, help track and interpret your behavior, and provide intelligent feedback. Choose to adopt a virtual pet and use your steps to keep them fed and happy with one of the FitPet interactive clock faces, or install the Think Fast app and test your ability to rapidly and accurately switch between tasks. Check back often for new apps.

For more information, see What is Fitbit Labs?

FITBIT PAY

Now you can add up to 6 credit and debit cards to Fitbit Pay on Ionic and choose which card you want to use for each transaction. When you’re ready to pay, swipe right on your watch’s screen to scroll through your cards.

Note this feature is coming soon to the Fitbit app for Windows 10.

For more information, see What should I know about Fitbit Pay?

FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS

This release includes other bug fixes and improvements.

For instructions on how to update your Ionic to the latest firmware, follow this link

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
320 REPLIES 320

Try rebooting the Ionic, by pressing the back button and bottom right button at the same time till you see the start-up, one started up, see if you can update.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've updated to the latest firmware, but still having sync issues.

Alerts not coming through from phone (a call and a few WhatsApp messages did a couple of weeks ago), the AccuWeather app says "Sync the Fitbit to update app" again, and Strava hasn't synced since 30 November.

Fenix 5 Plus. Previously Ionic and Surge. Google Pixels 3 and 5. Aria. Chromebook. Deezer and Audible.
Best Answer

Firmware update sucks. Only receiving a few notifications - most don’t come through. Alarms do not work anymore although they still show as being set. Accuweather does not update.

Best Answer

My update took around 30 minutes and everything works good after. I have iPhone 7 plus. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Update worked for me but there were some interruptions, however the update picked right back up and was successful. I had to re-enable the notifications I wanted but after doing that everything seems to be working fine. I have a couple of sync issues but I honestly suspect that it's my phone because if I am connected to another BT device and actively using the connection, like playing music, sync works 100% of the time. My phone, and LG G5, does have some odd BT quirks. I haven't had a complete failure to sync where I had to restart the phone and Ionic since the update.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Samsung SMS notifications are now broken. works on Surge but not on Ionic. 

Email notifications only working with Gmail app and other mail apps are detected.

I used to also get Whatsapp and SMS but Whatsapp is also not working.

Did anyone QA this release for Android users or was it for iPhone only? if yes, did you QA this against say, the top 5 apps people use on their phones?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GSOD

Please be specific. Which Samsung? I have an S8, and I get every kind of notification. Works 100%. SMS, phone, gmail, calendar, and all the app notifications I have set up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you.  Like many in this thread I was confused by the fact that the firmware is referred to as "31.1.16" when in fact it is "27.31.1.16" on the watch and in the android app.  Might help if OP changed title to match what is displayed...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm a little worried - I installed the update but after about 20 minutes I cancelled it thinking it was hung-up (the progress bar on the phone never went past 8-10%).  However, the watch shows it has the latest version -31.1.16.  I have to wonder what process didn't finish?  I can't seem to find a way to restart the process.

Samsung S8 Plus with Android 7.0, Ionic (27.32.10.20)
Best Answer
0 Votes

What a poor update, just made the watch worse.

experienced everything mentioned here, less notifications, things not working and the watch eats up battery life twice as quickly.

haven’t changed anything yet battery now lasts about a day and a half when it was lasting 4 days. Had to do a factory reset but it won’t let me NOT install this update.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same thing no weather no notifications no bluetooth with my iphone 7 this thing was a big waste of my hard earned money...WISH I never bought it,OR returned it as soon as we saw it was a brick now I'm stuck with it....

Best Answer

I am also no longer receiving notifications, and my Ionic hasn't synced in about 18 hours. 

The first day of the newest firmware I had to reboot the Ionic before it would sync, now reboots don't do anything.

I have tried rebooting the phone, logging out of the app, rebooting the ionic, turning bluetooth off/on, reinstalling the app. The only option I haven't tried this time is the factory reset -- last app update required 4 resets of the Ionic to force it to sync again, and I just don't have time for all the re-installing of firmware updates to deal with that right now.

Everytime the Ionic seems to be working, Fitbit sends out an "update" that breaks everything again!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Me too and I have a Galaxy Note 8----everything good here

Best Answer
0 Votes

Dive into your settings.  Some things may have switch.   Edit - Samsung S5? Maybe it's your phone, not the watch.  What are you on, marshmallow?

I'm on a pixel XL.  Oreo 8.1.  Since the update:

-no sync issues, works every time

-all notifications work fine, calendar, WhatsApp, everything 

-no Bluetooth headphones issues

Check your settings, or upgrade your 4 yr old phone

Pixel XL Oreo Ionic Airpods
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone! 

Just wanted to take a moment to thank you all for the time you have spent updating your Ionic. 

If you have not yet updated your Ionic to 31.1.16, I would definitely recommend using Wi-Fi to do so, as this will greatly reduce the amount of time it takes to complete the update. 

Additionally, I would suggest making sure that you are using a stable Wi-Fi connection, such as your own personal home network rather than a public/work network. If you are having a hard time connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi, this article has a ton of best practices that can help with the process. 

If you continue to experience any difficulty updating the firmware on your Ionic, I recommend following each of the troubleshooting steps detailed, here

For anyone that may be having a hard time receiving notifications on your Ionic after updating, I recommend unpairing your Ionic by navigating to your phone's settings and 'Forgetting' the device.

Once the Ionic has been unpaired, you can 're-pair' by navigating to the 'Notifications' tab in the Ionic account settings found within the Fitbit app.

If you are still not getting notifications, I would follow each of the troubleshooting steps detailed in the article, here and let me know how it goes. 

Additionally, I can confirm that Firmware v 31.1.16 is the same as v 27.31.1.16, for those who were wondering.

I truly hope this helps! If you have any questions, you know where to find me.   

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

It worked for me thanks for the help

Best Answer

Since the firmware update to 31.1.16, my Ionic has not crashed a single time while using the Exercise Mode to track an activity.  Syncing the tracker still seems slow, but it does sync each time.

Best Answer
Fitbit needs to fix the many bugs that are on the ionic!!!!! 😡
Unless of course they are purposely trying to eradicate the loyal Fitbit community!!! I got one am very close to ditching Fitbit ionic and looking elsewhere...

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

The fact that it was working and the "fix" broke it should be proof enough that the phone is not the issue. 

Additionally, when I add the Alta and Zip back on the account (which I had to remove because Fitbit support says the Ionic doesn't work well with other devices listed) they work fine.  That itself is proof that the Ionic is buggy -- Fitbit used to tout that you could swap out models depending on your activity, but then says you can't do that with the Ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I love ve the animated cat and dog faces. It's that Toys R Us kid in me.  It's not childish to me and I'm 50 years old.  I like the cute things. Everything doesn't have to be serious in life. 

Best Answer