Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware Release - 32.10.20

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 08/23/2018: Hi everyone! 

Just wanted to thank you all for your participation in this thread. 

Since the majority of Ionic users have successfully updated to OS 2.1.1 (v32.10.20) I have decided to close this topic to further posts. 

If you still have not updated your Ionic to OS 2.1.1, check out this post for some best practices on how to update your device. 

If you are experiencing an issue with your Ionic unrelated to the firmware-up process, I invite you to start a new topic on the community or find a related topic. 

Thanks again to all the great feedback we have received on this firmware. Looking forward to the next Fitbit OS update! Robot Happy

Fitbit Update - 6/7/18: Fitbit OS 2.1.1 has been released to 100% of Ionic users!

Hi, everyone! Smiley Happy

I am excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 2.1.1! (Firmware Version: 32.10.20)

We've started to roll out this update to 30% of Ionic users. This is a progressive rollout, and all Ionic users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. 

You can find the release notes for this new OS version by following the link, here.  

Step by step instructions for updating your Ionic can be found here.

As a reminder, I recommend updating your Ionic over a home Wi-Fi network as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Ionic, I can also recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback on the latest release. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in this thread. 

Best Answer
561 REPLIES 561

You can change what that "connecting" message blocks out.  Somewhere in settings you can choose what is at the top of your screen.  The top of mine is the clock, distance shows at the bottom.  It's annoying when I can't see the clock because I determine whether to run an extra mile based on what time it is.  

Also, mine doesn't drop out when running through anything.  It just drops out.  I live in a suburb.  There are few hills, few trees, no tall buildings.  There is nothing that should interfere with my GPS.

Best Answer
0 Votes

have anyone experienced that the fit bit freezes while updating?

Best Answer
Same here
Best Answer
0 Votes
Issues with GPS too since update.
Best Answer
0 Votes

My update went through via BT without any issues other that the fact that it's a slow transfer.

I had the GPS dropout issue before this update, but not all that often in 4 or 5 miles of activity at a time.

I have noticed that frequent screen swipes during an "exercise" increases the chances of a freeze/crash greatly so i tend to avoid them.

My biggest issue since the update is the random addition of exercise time / steps that seem high for that given period. I'm having trouble trusting the data and that's not good.

No sync issues with iOS on an iPhone 7 so far and the tie in to Fitness Pal seems robust.

There might be a small increase in power consumption, but I charge it as time and activity permit so it hasn't been an issue so far.

I got the calibration message once, but I did it and haven't seen it since.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone! 

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with the firmware update, and all the details, I'm sure this will be helpful for other users as well. 

I'm aware that you probably already tried all the basic troubleshooting steps, however, it won't harm to take a look at all the information here about the requirements, error messages and troubleshooting steps that could help with the difficulties you've mentioned. They could also be useful for other users checking this thread for the first time:

• If you've found trouble getting your notifications check out these troubleshoots. 
  • For error messages and continuous calibration message try a restart and turn it off and back on 
  • Restart the app if you're getting error messages 
  • Try these steps if you're not able to sync 
  • Follow these suggestions to improve the battery life as well

Thanks for all the feedback, Fitbit continuously works to improve the quality of products and services, and all this information is useful to our team of developers. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience. 

Magin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer

So this update has ruined my fitbit ionic.

I don't know if this is some sort of craptastic ML nonsense for which I am an outlier or just shoddy engineering, but ever since applying this update, I am constantly seeing the fitbit app deduct calories recorded by my tracker.  If this behavior doesn't change, my 7-years of fitbit usage will shortly come to an end.  And the lack of commentary on the part of fitbit peeps makes me think the good ones have left the building.  Sad.

Best Answer

Still not working right with iPhone X. I’m tired of calling support and messing around trying to get this Ionic to sync all the time.  First and last Fitbit that I buy. Extremely disappointed...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, 

Thank you fitbit for a new update. Whats still surprising is that fitbit doesn't  fix the algorithm of the bpm during exercise and the GPS accuracy.

I still say the Ionic is dangerously wrong for those who use the bpm feedback on this brick, and I guess its a major hardware issue since nothing has been imoroved?  Thats a pity for us that depend on a good workout session while paying attention of our heartbeat.

What does fitbit plan to do about this? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have found from my end; which seems normal, that you have to carry your 'phone with you to ensure that the Bluetooth stays connected to the Ionic. If you leave your 'phone out of bluetooth handshaking range with your Ionic, invariably there is some delay, and prompting is sometimes necessary from the user to establish contact again. Also simultaneously, you need to have the Internet connection via home Wi-Fi or mobile data for updating. If I'm out and about on a hike, I leave mobile data on (mine is incredibly cheap pennies for a number of hours) As a new Ionic user I consider myself lucky to have had an uneventful firmware upgrade which took a total of 19 minutes. I cannot but think, that a majority of users (I mean no dis-respect) are possibly not 'computer savvy' and possibly miss something simple when setting everything up. Perhaps 'Fitbit' could produce a 'Big Dummies Guide' with clear precise instructions in layman's terms. Quite frankly, you have to search about all over the place to find umpteen different help issues. It's not user friendly.  I think 'Fitbit' should link their answer to customers questions/posts on here, so we can all see the results. I think they should also make frequent statements/updates on the complaints received - transparency would be respected and appreciated. Finally, all early released software is 'buggy' unfortunately, this happens in bigger organisations - 'Microsoft' are the biggest culprits here. In conclusion, for those who have described their Ionics as turning into a brick, Fitbit have a moral obligation to treat these customers as top priority. I hope this is happening behind the scenes. Let's have faith that Fitbit can find solutions to all the niggles soon.  

Best Answer

This latest version no longer shows my Miles?  I can still see my Miles in the app but not on the Fitbit.  I scroll up from the Time display which presents the Fitbit logo.  From there, I see Steps, hours, bpm, Settings...but no Miles.  Is there a new place for this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LorettsWelcome....  When you see your steps from scrolling up...... stop there..... and then swipe right to left and your other stats are there.  Same with the other displays..

@Loretts wrote:

This latest version no longer shows my Miles?  I can still see my Miles in the app but not on the Fitbit.  I scroll up from the Time display which presents the Fitbit logo.  From there, I see Steps, hours, bpm, Settings...but no Miles.  Is there a new place for this?

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 4 and my ionic is still a brick and can't be used 

It's either just constant bootloops on the Fitbit logo

Or if I switch off and leave off for a few hours ,then plug charger in I can connect it to app and try to set it up ,but update fails all the time and it goes back to logo boot loop screen.Only piece of usefully advice fit but have given me so far is how to perform a factory reset using the buttons ,which I am having to do to get it out of the stuck logo bootloops and get it to switch off,to try the full process all over again !!!!

I despair I use mine 24/7 and I'm on day 4 without it 

Fitbit Ionic and OnePlus 6T
Best Answer
0 Votes

Although updates are working fine for me, battery life is down to less than two days (I'm forced to charge it daily now), syncing is erratic and, today, for the first time the exercise app craches while using it. I relaunched it and it couldn't detect a HR - I checked and the HR sensor lights weren't even on!

After a few minutes it started measuring again. But I've got to say, the experience is getting worse and worse...

Perhaps we should start calling them out on social media.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I had the same problem. Used the support chat, and after emailing them a video of it in bootloop, they have asked me to return it for a replacement. Second time I have had this problem since original unit as a gift in November. Interesting that the upgrade brought on the problem. As another poster suggested, wonder if there was a bad batch that only last about 3-4 months. Currently using a borrowed Alta HR, may consider this if the new replacement dies too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

When did they send you a replacement? Did you have to wait until they got the problematic one?

Asking because I've opened a ticket, not for these issues but about screen problems and I'd like to know their policy...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm currently in the same boat as you on battery life.  I'm now two support answers in.

So if you haven't submitted a ticket, be prepared for what I'm going through.

First, they accused me of using a third party charger.  I have only used the charging cord that came with it, and I replied as such.

The second reply I received I was told to turn off all day sync and turn off notifications.  Run the battery down to zero.  Then give it a full charge.  Then manually sync it every 3 to 4 hours until I guess the battery runs down again (they didn't specify).  After I have done that, I am to get back to them.

Be prepared for them to come across as arrogant by telling you when your battery was last charged, and what percentage you were at when you last charged it.  Maybe they didn't intend for their message to come across that way, but it seemed like rubbing salt in the wound.  I never told them my watch was dead and won't charge, just that it was losing battery life at a pace way quicker than before.  Instead they told me it was 99% at X, and then it was 70% at Y.

Which only proves my point because losing 30% in a matter of hours is far from the promised performance.

Hopefully they help you better than they have helped me.  I'm at 21% right now waiting for it to die before giving it a full charge and jumping through the hoops they've requested.  It's obviously widespread given the posts on this forum, but I feel like they're treating me like I'm trying to scam them into a new Ionic for some reason.

Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm faring a little better at this time myself. Opened a ticket, they asked for photos; sent them photos, they asked for videos; uploaded videos to YouTube, they asked me to send them the videos in pdf or jpg format (yes. They did.). I compressed the videos to be small enough for email, still waiting for a reply.

No arrogance though, so I'm crossing fingers.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wouldn't have done all that... maybe a picture, but not videos.  Good grief.  Maybe arrogance too strong a word, but it was... condescending?  Both support tickets cited to me when my battery was at full charge, and what it went down to, basically telling me that it wasn't the issue some folks are facing where it's completely dead.

And anyone that understood the products would have seen clear evidence by the times they cited that the battery was draining way faster than it should be.

I just looked up when the Ionic came out, and it hasn't quite yet been a year, so I guess there's hope they will replace it.  But if it's a firmware issue, that won't help.  I was a day one user, so perhaps the first batch made have faulty batteries.  Guess we'll find out.

Good luck on your end.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You mean you had short battery life since then?

For me it started probably 2 or 3 weeks ago, then the screen glitches came; with the update, though, battery life became ridiculous.

Best Answer
0 Votes