Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware Release - 32.10.20

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 08/23/2018: Hi everyone! 

Just wanted to thank you all for your participation in this thread. 

Since the majority of Ionic users have successfully updated to OS 2.1.1 (v32.10.20) I have decided to close this topic to further posts. 

If you still have not updated your Ionic to OS 2.1.1, check out this post for some best practices on how to update your device. 

If you are experiencing an issue with your Ionic unrelated to the firmware-up process, I invite you to start a new topic on the community or find a related topic. 

Thanks again to all the great feedback we have received on this firmware. Looking forward to the next Fitbit OS update! Robot Happy

Fitbit Update - 6/7/18: Fitbit OS 2.1.1 has been released to 100% of Ionic users!

Hi, everyone! Smiley Happy

I am excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 2.1.1! (Firmware Version: 32.10.20)

We've started to roll out this update to 30% of Ionic users. This is a progressive rollout, and all Ionic users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. 

You can find the release notes for this new OS version by following the link, here.  

Step by step instructions for updating your Ionic can be found here.

As a reminder, I recommend updating your Ionic over a home Wi-Fi network as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Ionic, I can also recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback on the latest release. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in this thread. 

Best Answer
561 REPLIES 561

Fitbit announce on top of this page:

"We are aware of an issue which is causing irregularities with food logging on iOS 2.53. While we investigate, we recommend iOS users log food via the fitbit.com dashboard"

What about the music transfer issues?

The battery drain?

The faulty GPS?

The  innacurate heartrate meassure?

The constant synch problems, both with wifi and bluetooth?

Cant play music if you have startet an exercise session?

The "tracker not found" issues?

No more sleep logging?

After 7months Fitbit has'nt come up with any solution. Every single update have just made the Ionic worst. Im not suprised people advice everyone to stay clear of Fitbit product.

I could go on, cause this dead wristband is just nothing else than that. A useless, expensive, dead wristband. 

What do fitbit think (please, explain it to your cutomers) and how are Fitbit suppose to come up with a final solution?

Best Answer

I have called their customer service several times. I was told that I have had it for more than 45 days so they won't do anything to assist me. I juat have to wait and see if they can fix the problems. It has been well over a month with no response from them. Very expensive paper weight

Best Answer

@Balsam wrote:

Fitbit announce on top of this page:

"We are aware of an issue which is causing irregularities with food logging on iOS 2.53. While we investigate, we recommend iOS users log food via the fitbit.com dashboard"

What about the music transfer issues?

The battery drain?

The faulty GPS?

The  innacurate heartrate meassure?

The constant synch problems, both with wifi and bluetooth?

Cant play music if you have startet an exercise session?

The "tracker not found" issues?

No more sleep logging?

After 7months Fitbit has'nt come up with any solution. Every single update have just made the Ionic worst. Im not suprised people advice everyone to stay clear of Fitbit product.

I could go on, cause this dead wristband is just nothing else than that. A useless, expensive, dead wristband. 

What do fitbit think (please, explain it to your cutomers) and how are Fitbit suppose to come up with a final solution?

Well, I'll tell you what they told me on Twitter (through DM of course, they'll never do it publicly): that my phone is incompatible. YES! My HTC 10, HTC's premium mobile from two years ago, suddenly became incompatible!!!

Here's their quote:

"

Thanks for providing us with your email address and additional info about your mobile devices. Upon checking our tools, we've noticed that you've synced your Ionic watch through the Windows app a few minutes ago. In addition, please note that the HTC 10 and Samsung Galaxy Tab A (it's failing on my tablet as well) are not on our list of compatible devices (https://www.fitbit.com/devices ). The devices on this list have been confirmed as fully compatible with all features of Fitbit devices and the Fitbit app. While a phone or tablet may not be verified as fully compatible, the Fitbit app may still work with your device.

Since we've verified that your Android devices supports Bluetooth 4.0 and above, we have provided you with recommendations which can help fix the difficulties that you're experiencing with the Fitbit app for Android. Because your phone or tablet is not fully compatible with Fitbit devices, we can't guarantee syncing and other Fitbit features. If you have other questions, let us know."

and later:

"We understand how you feel about this. Though your mobile devices meets our requirements, ​​they are currently not listed; this means our engineers are yet to test or verify the said device for our app and its various features. We routinely test new devices to ensure full compatibility with Fitbit devices and the Fitbit app, and are constantly working to confirm compatibility with new phone models. Be sure to verify that your phone or tablet meets the minimum operating system requirements, which you can find in our help article https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2315 …. Note that the majority of Android phones running version 4.4 or higher will work with our products. Do be assured our engineers are continually working to update the list to include more devices. Let us know if you have further questions!"

To which I replied:

"Oh come on, have the decency to afford me the courtesy of common sense... My device is listed as compatible with the app in Play. If you stick by the 'compatibility' excuse, just de-list all "incompatible" devices from the entry, and let's see how many watches you sell then. My device was HTC's flagship mobile more than two years ago, are your engineers "yet to test" it? As if it's the device's fault that users left and right are complaining about connectivity issues, GPS issues, music issues, battery obliteration issues (mine fell by more than 50% overnight, can't get through 2 days). As if it's my device's fault that complaints rose after your back-end switch and your app's update... Oh come on..."

Best Answer

@Balsam

Very good question!!!

And these problems are not only for Ionic! All Fitbit tracker have these problems.

Hopefully we see soon the solution!

End!Now free time!
Best Answer
0 Votes
They did fix the ability to start music while exercising. Hold down the l
left key then swipe left to right.
Ionic, Pixel 2 XL
Best Answer
0 Votes
Starting music after an exercise is startet is actually still not possible,
not matter what you try on the Ionic.
Yes, you can push the left and go into the music controls, but from there
your not able to start any music.

You can only choose your connected BT headphones, but your still not able
to play the music you have transfered to the Ionic itself.
Thats incredible lame!
Best Answer

Yes, I agree. It cost me a fortune here in Australia at $399.95 (and I also bought the headphones for $199.95 which also do not work!)

I should have stayed happy with my Blaze!

In fact, speaking of that, I have just reconnected my Blaze and it is nice to have something at least reliable now accurately counting my steps etc. I notice though that it’s band is starting to fray 😞

I am bundling up my Ionic and the headphones and sending them back for a refund.(I only bought them 13 days ago).

I should have known better than to buy again from FitBit after having a terrible time with the Fitbit scales ( I bought these several years back - and they were faulty too! Fitbit DID eventually admit to the scales problems (even after the guarantee had well and truly passed). They were actually kind enough to replace the scales even though it was 12 months past the end of the warranty (so they are not always unkind to their customers - that was only because I had been diagnosed with Diabetes and they took pity on me).

But now, after experiencing all the trouble with the Ionic as well, I am beginning to think

Fitbit products are on the whole too expensive and of poor workmanship.

Oh well….it was a nice dream while it lasted 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes
The entire music functionality is something technologically out of the 90s.
The transferring
The playing
The syncing (no 5g) support

And...Fitbit is so focused on fixing their own failures with each new release that there probably aren’t any resources for improvements.
Best Answer
0 Votes
One more to add to your list.

Today I was using the Run app. I paused it to make a slight walking detour. Even though the Run app was paused it counted my steps towards my distance in the app. Then it combined that data and gave me a ridiculous run time for that half mile plus a “false” distance when the app was restarted.

So I guess pause is not really pause.
Best Answer

I ran with my cell phone tracking in Endomondo and my Ionic on my wrist. The Ionic GPS stopped tracking around 40 minutes and I am guessing estimated distance off gait at that point. I have the TCX files if some one wants to take a closer look. I was running in a wooded area, Forest Park in Portland but the cell phone had no issues maintaining track.

One thing I noticed about the TCX from Endomondo, it its about half the size of Fitbits TCX file. Endo fiule is 740 Kb and Fitbit is 1651 Kb. I am not tracking heart rate with Endo so there is one more entry per node in the Fitbit file. Could Fitbit have a memory issue in there tracking program on the watch where it stops recording after a certain memory threshold?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yeah I dug my old Surge out today to at least have something that works. Band is starting to separate but it should last a while

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Well if you lose GPS track it still tracks your distance it just can't map it, so clearly Fitbit developers are not controlling their variables correctly in code. Or they are not paying attention to their own GUI prompts to the user. Also they are still tracking your step count during your runs to make sure you keep track of that as well.

What information does Fitbit use to calculate stride/gait? How can it be reset without losing all data. Can you delete height? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
What bothered me was that I was using the running app. When I pause it then all counting/measuring in the app should pause. It did not. My steps during the pause were included in the distance I was running. The time was not so all data was now inaccurate.
Fitbit’s SW Dev or their QA are.....
Best Answer
0 Votes

IIRC, it does the pausing thing to me, too; I'm doing some elliptical workout, pause to grab some water, then I see the time it's supposed to be in Pause on my exercise HR graph...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Won't sync anymore.  I have a Samsung s9.  all other bluetooth devices work fine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@dustin4life wrote:

Won't sync anymore.  I have a Samsung s9.  all other bluetooth devices work fine.

Ohhh welcome. According to FitBit support, your phone is NOT in the compatible device list, so it may or may not work, depending on things like (obviously) the position of the stars or the relative humidity at the shore nearest to you. Go figure.

Best Answer

45 days and they won't 'do anything'? Return it as not fit for purpose, from the retailer you bought it from. If that's Fitbit, then them.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Ionic came in the US mail on Monday 07/16/2018, I went through the setup procedure using an IOS  device as the setup does not work on a MacBook Pro. Fitbit Macintosh bias I guess. I am still having problems that I can not rectify. My Charge HR had functions that I cannot find or get working on this Ionic. I would like this device to track my sleep sessions without my intervention by telling my Ionic through an IOS device that I am going to sleep now and telling the Ionic that I am awake, the Charge HR done this with out my help. How do I program this Ionic to do the same without my help?  I would like the Ionic to tell me how many miles that I have walked today but it only tell me how many steps that I have taken (hardly useful). How do I know if my firm ware is up to date? I hope that you can set me in the right direction. So far I like the watchband and the clock face that I selected. However, I am tot:ally frustrated with this Ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i am waiting for the next firware release to adress the tons of problems with this watch. real programmers do have something like a roadmap. can you give us some insight on when the next (at least beta) firmware arrives?

Best Answer
0 Votes
The ionic “knows” when you go to sleep and does at good job, at least mine does, of tracking it. You can see it on you IOS device when you sync it. You cannot see it on the ionic itself. You should see the distance you have walked/ran on the ionic by tapping this screen and scrolling through the heart rate, calories burned, steps taken and distance numbers. Latest firmware seems to have cured most of my problems. Only issue I now have is the auto shift lighting of the numbers is not working so unless I keep the lighting set on Maxi can’t see the reading in the sunlight. Keeping on max cures that but does negatively impact battery life to a small degree. But I can live with. Overall I really like the ionic

Firmware takes about 40 minutes to load and does requires good wireless internet connection

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer