Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware Release - 32.10.20

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 08/23/2018: Hi everyone! 

Just wanted to thank you all for your participation in this thread. 

Since the majority of Ionic users have successfully updated to OS 2.1.1 (v32.10.20) I have decided to close this topic to further posts. 

If you still have not updated your Ionic to OS 2.1.1, check out this post for some best practices on how to update your device. 

If you are experiencing an issue with your Ionic unrelated to the firmware-up process, I invite you to start a new topic on the community or find a related topic. 

Thanks again to all the great feedback we have received on this firmware. Looking forward to the next Fitbit OS update! Robot Happy

Fitbit Update - 6/7/18: Fitbit OS 2.1.1 has been released to 100% of Ionic users!

Hi, everyone! Smiley Happy

I am excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 2.1.1! (Firmware Version: 32.10.20)

We've started to roll out this update to 30% of Ionic users. This is a progressive rollout, and all Ionic users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. 

You can find the release notes for this new OS version by following the link, here.  

Step by step instructions for updating your Ionic can be found here.

As a reminder, I recommend updating your Ionic over a home Wi-Fi network as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Ionic, I can also recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback on the latest release. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in this thread. 

Best Answer
561 REPLIES 561

Feel all your pain, took latest firmware update, bricked it...simple fix,  don't buy them, Fitbit doesn't support what is sells period!

Best Answer
Return it. 6mos in I can tell you it won’t get better
Best Answer
Agree. Just bought Amazfit Bip and will ionic as an expensive paperweight

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

so, please Fitbit: Give us some insight when we can expect the next firmware with no new features but solved problems?

for me it is important to know since holidays are close and i want to know whether it is worth to take the ionic with me or not

Best Answer

Will be hard to download the update when my fitbit will not sync, will not connect to Wi-Fi and will not connect to bluetooth!

Best Answer

@karashelle wrote:

Will be hard to download the update when my fitbit will not sync, will not connect to Wi-Fi and will not connect to bluetooth!

From experience with the Ionic as it can not work consistently on syncing etc.  First and foremost, make sure when you running any updates or charging it, do that on your home WiFi or where you originally set it up.  I know they recommend to perform updates at home or work, but I have found, in order to avoid issues or limit them, use your HOME WiFi only.  You can update with Bluetooth as an option, but I highly recommend working from your HOME WiFi only.  I have had fewer problems doing so, it is not that you won't have any, but it really does work better from Home WiFi.

If you have already done tried this, forgive my suggestion, just trying to help as I know FitBit support can be a bit "canned" for everything they do, which is understandable, as they are not users of every device.  

Good Luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am brand new here and will probably not be here long but I thought this would be as good as place as any with hopes that someone who gives feedback to the designers etc, does so. This Ionic is absolutely the worst smart watch I have ever owned (it does not even deserve that title). I knew that it was going to be more fitness centered than my previous smart watches (Motorola 306, Samsung Gear S, Asus Zen Watch and Huawei Watch) but my goodness! For $300 I should at least be able to transfer music, find my phone, have a decent selection of apps. The task of transferring music almost invoked anxiety attacks in me each time as i would fear losing the few precious songs I had been able to transfer already. Simple features like being able to find my phone that are simple as an app are ignored. I have 2 original Pebble Kickstarter editions and reading that the same design team moved to Fitbit gave me some hope and my only consolation is I got mine when it was on sale for $250. (Those Pebble watches both still work and in use today!). Are you purposely trying to sabotage this product or brand? I am just trying to make sense of what the plan or strategy is with your company. This is on top of 2 Fitbit Charge Hr's that I have purchased (1 broke, my fault, other lasted about a year and then would not charge any more). When people ask I am quick to tell them to stay away from the Fitbits right now. This watch could be so much more.

I will never go past that 14 day mark return policy with Best Buy on a product I have any doubts on again, lesson learned! 

Best Answer

@MikeGn wrote:

I like this. Frequent updates mean that the manufacturer is constantly improving the product.

Or maybe that it wasn't quite up to scratch when it was introduced to the market ?

Best Answer

@Tylerama wrote:

@MikeGn wrote:

I like this. Frequent updates mean that the manufacturer is constantly improving the product.

Or maybe that it wasn't quite up to scratch when it was introduced to the market ?

Well, it started off as incomplete, became better but still incomplete (SpO2???) and then it became definitely worse.

Best Answer

So I'm avoiding this forum for more than a month because it's depressing to see all the first-time posts who are dumping their Ionic and complaining in the forums. Those who tried to troubleshoot but failed due to one reason or another after many of us tried to help them, I can sympathise. Fitbit support is not much of a support. I have personally been there and gave up. Forum members were much more helpful. Thanks guys and gals!

Instead of shutting up because my Ionic is working, I'm going to share my experience of this firmware since launch.

I usually update my Ionic using my Elite X3's hotspot so the Ionic is connected to the smartphone app directly on both WiFi & BT. I find that this is the most stable way of updating the firmware and it usually completed in last than 10 minutes.

After update is complete, I've never had issues in the daily running of the Ionic due to bad firmware update which can happen if you use BT over many hours where errors can creep in and spoil your update.

So far, the Weather app and Weather info on my watchface (TrekV4FB) sync properly BUT it never sync automatically even though I set an hourly schedule. The sync also takes some time to complete over BT which is dam slow! After the sync bar is completed, I generally have to open the Weather app on the Ionic and wait another 30sec for the phone to get its location and download the weather info, then sync to the Ionic. Ditto for the weather info on the watchface. I didn't have to press Sync Now, I just have to wait.

If this doesn't work, I just restart the app and/or Ionic.

Ionic on Vivo Nex, HP Elite X3 and Surface Pro.
Best Answer

That is encouraging news, although I finally gave up and returned my Ionic (the the Bluetooth earplugs) to FitBit and received the full refund of just under A$600-00 (Thank goodness).

Very disappointed, but I have now resumed using my "Surge" which has always been reliable (although not as many bells and whistles as the Ionic).

The band has frayed to almost breaking point, but FitBit provided a replacement today (after 2 years wear!...Terrific)

I suspect that they do not perform enough testing on their software before release and that has caused the catastrophe that is Ionic. You seem to have weathered the storm and I am envious, but I feel happy now that I can continue losing weight (have lost 50 kilos. in past 12 months) all down to "Lite and Easy" diet and the Fitbit Surge! 🙂

Best Answer
They are following the BlackBerry plan-ignore market and customer feedback just go forward with your own tunnel vision.
Best Answer

Hi, 

I got Ionic last week and I have few issues that I was hoping the firmware update might solve. 

I'm not able to see the update option in the app (still on firmware version 27.32.10.20) 

Please help.

Also, is it possible that this update will resolve :

1) notifications vibration on the watch. I get the notification but the watch does not vibrate when it comes  

2) GPS connection is not starting for about 5-10 minutes.

I'm starting to get disappointed with the product because of those issues, hope you can help me solve it .

Thanks, 

Gregory Tsilov 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Gregory,

I gave the watch 2 weeks to come right, but apparently after the last
software release everyone has had

troubles with this watch.

I returned my watch (and Bluetooth earphones) which cost me just under
Australian $600 and they refunded me in

Full.

I do not think (judging by the numerous complaints about the Ionic) that
they will have the many issues fixed
by the time the "money back guarantee" (if you have one) expires.

I went back to my (less fancy but at least reliable) "Surge". The band was
fraying (and there is no replacement part)

but even after 2 years, Fitbit replaced the whole watch free of charge and
so I am now happily using my "Surge" watch

(which helped me lose 40kg in weight last year).

Fitbit have been good with the Surge (and replacing an also faulty set of
Scales) and so I think their heart is in

The right place, but they have tried too hard with the Ionic watch and I
doubt it will ever come good.

Take my advice, and get your money back and try another watch (the "Surge"
is good).

Cheers

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer
thanks Chris for your advice. I need to check what are my return options.
Best Answer

Not happy after the new update, my phone no longer receives notifications what has happened

Paul

Best Answer

How, can I know the version I have. And where can I have de latest.

thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just got off the phone with Fitbit support, and this “upgrade” has a serious “glitch” (their term; I say flaw).  The ionic will randomly shutdown your run/swim/bike/excersize app and lose all reference to it. They claim they are diligently working on a fix but refuse to send out a general notice to let people know about the issue.  To me this makes the device no better than an expensive watch. 

Best Answer

I updated the firmware when it came out several days ago. Since then when I try to change clock faces back to a different watch face all watch choices are far fewer than before the update including both watch faces that were c as doable of showing cgm results. What gives with that?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Join the long list of unlucky Ionic owners whose troubles started after this f/w release. yours is just a snippet of the laundry list of issues.

Best Answer