Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware Release - 32.10.20

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 08/23/2018: Hi everyone! 

Just wanted to thank you all for your participation in this thread. 

Since the majority of Ionic users have successfully updated to OS 2.1.1 (v32.10.20) I have decided to close this topic to further posts. 

If you still have not updated your Ionic to OS 2.1.1, check out this post for some best practices on how to update your device. 

If you are experiencing an issue with your Ionic unrelated to the firmware-up process, I invite you to start a new topic on the community or find a related topic. 

Thanks again to all the great feedback we have received on this firmware. Looking forward to the next Fitbit OS update! Robot Happy

Fitbit Update - 6/7/18: Fitbit OS 2.1.1 has been released to 100% of Ionic users!

Hi, everyone! Smiley Happy

I am excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 2.1.1! (Firmware Version: 32.10.20)

We've started to roll out this update to 30% of Ionic users. This is a progressive rollout, and all Ionic users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. 

You can find the release notes for this new OS version by following the link, here.  

Step by step instructions for updating your Ionic can be found here.

As a reminder, I recommend updating your Ionic over a home Wi-Fi network as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Ionic, I can also recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback on the latest release. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in this thread. 

Best Answer
561 REPLIES 561

@dimmerfurball17 Just wondering if you were aware of the fast 'hold all three buttons' reboot that only takes ~30 seconds? It's different from the factory reset in that all your data and settings are kept, and it's very fast.  I've never had trouble with my Fitbit app on my phone syncing with the Ionic, but I've found it helps sometimes (~weekly) when my weather app isn't syncing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for that info

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for that. Good tip
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Gryzor wrote:

@Balsam wrote:

Fitbit announce on top of this page:

"We are aware of an issue which is causing irregularities with food logging on iOS 2.53. While we investigate, we recommend iOS users log food via the fitbit.com dashboard"

What about the music transfer issues?

The battery drain?

The faulty GPS?

The  innacurate heartrate meassure?

The constant synch problems, both with wifi and bluetooth?

Cant play music if you have startet an exercise session?

The "tracker not found" issues?

No more sleep logging?

After 7months Fitbit has'nt come up with any solution. Every single update have just made the Ionic worst. Im not suprised people advice everyone to stay clear of Fitbit product.

I could go on, cause this dead wristband is just nothing else than that. A useless, expensive, dead wristband. 

What do fitbit think (please, explain it to your cutomers) and how are Fitbit suppose to come up with a final solution?

Well, I'll tell you what they told me on Twitter (through DM of course, they'll never do it publicly): that my phone is incompatible. YES! My HTC 10, HTC's premium mobile from two years ago, suddenly became incompatible!!!

Here's their quote:

"

Thanks for providing us with your email address and additional info about your mobile devices. Upon checking our tools, we've noticed that you've synced your Ionic watch through the Windows app a few minutes ago. In addition, please note that the HTC 10 and Samsung Galaxy Tab A (it's failing on my tablet as well) are not on our list of compatible devices (https://www.fitbit.com/devices ). The devices on this list have been confirmed as fully compatible with all features of Fitbit devices and the Fitbit app. While a phone or tablet may not be verified as fully compatible, the Fitbit app may still work with your device.

Since we've verified that your Android devices supports Bluetooth 4.0 and above, we have provided you with recommendations which can help fix the difficulties that you're experiencing with the Fitbit app for Android. Because your phone or tablet is not fully compatible with Fitbit devices, we can't guarantee syncing and other Fitbit features. If you have other questions, let us know."

and later:

"We understand how you feel about this. Though your mobile devices meets our requirements, ​​they are currently not listed; this means our engineers are yet to test or verify the said device for our app and its various features. We routinely test new devices to ensure full compatibility with Fitbit devices and the Fitbit app, and are constantly working to confirm compatibility with new phone models. Be sure to verify that your phone or tablet meets the minimum operating system requirements, which you can find in our help article https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2315 …. Note that the majority of Android phones running version 4.4 or higher will work with our products. Do be assured our engineers are continually working to update the list to include more devices. Let us know if you have further questions!"

To which I replied:

"Oh come on, have the decency to afford me the courtesy of common sense... My device is listed as compatible with the app in Play. If you stick by the 'compatibility' excuse, just de-list all "incompatible" devices from the entry, and let's see how many watches you sell then. My device was HTC's flagship mobile more than two years ago, are your engineers "yet to test" it? As if it's the device's fault that users left and right are complaining about connectivity issues, GPS issues, music issues, battery obliteration issues (mine fell by more than 50% overnight, can't get through 2 days). As if it's my device's fault that complaints rose after your back-end switch and your app's update... Oh come on..."

My advice as a fellow owner of a HTC10 myself? Return the Ionic and ask for a refund. That's what I did and my daily routines really improved since then. No more frustration and headaches trying to make a 300 euros smartwatch work with a flagship smartphone that, btw, is compatible with everything else but Fitbit's Ionic.

They messed up big time and don't have what it takes to recognize it. It's a dying company with pathetic quality control, won't spend any more money in their products.

Charge 2 / Ex-Ionic / HTC10 / Android 8 / Windows 10 / Spotify Premium user
Best Answer

Obviously, the "compatible" list is nothing but a list of (some of) the devices the FB team has and uses, not a systematic effort. Otherwise they'd have seen that HTC10 was, indeed, compatible. QC seems to be indeed laughable...

Best Answer

Hi folks! I'm glad to read that for some of you the Fitbit Ionic has been working in a better way. Thanks for sharing your experience and the tips that have worked for you. Robot Very Happy

On the other hand, if you're still experiencing issues with the tracker and you've exhausted all the steps in order to fix this, I'd recommend doing the Factory Reset on your Ionic. Note that you’ll need to reinstall any apps and music on your device after the reset, and since you haven't synced your device, then any data on the Fitbit device will be lost. 

On your watch, open the Settings app > About Factory Reset

When the watch successfully resets, use the normal out of the box process of updating the firmware or you can see How do I update my Fitbit device? article.

From the Fitbit app, tap or click the Account icon > your device image. You'll see the firmware version number under your device's name.

User-added image

On the fitbit.com dashboard, click the gear icon and select your device to find the firmware version. On Fitbit Ionic and Fitbit Versa, find the firmware version in the Settings app > About. Currently version for Ionic is 27.32.10.20.

In regards to Spotify, I'd recommend checking out our Feature Suggestion Board if you haven't already. This is a space where Community users can post features, ideas, and suggestions that they'd like to see in future Fitbit products, accessories, and software and top-voted suggestions get relayed to our product team for review.

I'd also recommend up-voting and commenting on Spotify for Ionic/Versa feature suggestion since it is very similar of what you're looking and asking for.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Had to do another reset on everything again to get the app to see it. It's kind of a huge pain in the rear to do that every two days, I'm glad my cell phone doesn't need a factory reset every two days to be able to connect to cell towers.

Only reliable way to sync hr, run, workout, and step data is to turn on music sync (not even sync any music) and let it connect to my wifi

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just bought the Fitbit ionic

i can't make it start because the firmware isn't installing properly

what should I do?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Josephrenno What sort of problem are you seeing? If you're stuck on the welcome screen, like I was, you can see this thread which explains what you should be seeing for a proper initial startup. There could be issues with your WiFi login or other things on the initialization. Your app and phone need be on the same WiFi network as well, before any routers. You might get a more helpful response on one of the more appropriate threads such as the one I linked. There's other threads on initial startup as well. 

When I called FitBit support, they answered quickly, listened well to my issues, and quickly gave me good advice. This is the sort of problem they would do well on helping you. 

My Ionic has worked very well for 2 months now, and I really like everything about it. No problems. Some have had very bad experiences and quite upset. The majority of users seem to be fine with the Ionic.  You should see for yourself how it works for you. 

Best Answer
Exactly

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
Push it to its limits while under warranty. You need to make sure you will be happy with its performance for $300
Best Answer
0 Votes

No improvement to the raise to wake feature??? Its so much unreliable and annoying. Why keep the cost so high if a small feature like this can’t work seemlessly ???

Best Answer

Hi Fitbit Team,

I don't know when the update was released, but since this evening my Fitbit Ionic can't connect to my android phone anymore. My phone's bluetooth seems fine as I can connect my headphones without any problem. Also the bluetooth of my ionic seems fine, as I can connect it to my laptop. I re-installed the software, switched everything on and off, but my phone doesn't find the ionic anymore...

Any suggestions?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Matt0785   My Ionic has been Syncing just fine for the last couple months using this update. So I doubt it's the new firmware. 

You may have better success looking through the other threads under Ionic where people have been solving their syncing issues, like this one for instance. Several steps are given by the Fitbit team there which appear to work for most users. 

There's another longer thread where most got syncing success by following the detailed instructions given there. Some had to get sync by removing all the other Bluetooth items from their phone, then syncing fresh with the Ionic that was also rebooted (hold down all three buttons for a while). Then they could back in all the other Bluetooth links to their phone. 

Best Answer

I thought it was just the app for a while now, but i spent about 15 minutes today before i was about to go on a bike ride and then a run trying to sync the ionic to my bluetooth headset. It just couldnt connect to it, multiple reboots, of both the headphones and the watch. it was such a pain... 

it has synced in the past, after not syncing and then removing the headset from settings and other various reboots of both devices it finally synced. I feel like both the firmware and the android app are both at fault.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@disgustipated I hope you're doing well! Thanks for sharing the experience you have had with Ionic syncing. I'm glad it finally synced. 

What mobile device are you using? Is it listed under the compatible devices? If it is, please try these syncing troubleshooting steps and let me know how it goes. Try the steps in the order given there for best results even if you already did some of the steps listed there. 

@Josephrenno Welcome to the Fitbit family! Thanks for reporting the situation you are experiencing with your Ionic firmware. 

Are you still experiencing the same? If you are, please try the steps on this helpful article. This has helped other users in the past. Also, check the suggestions given by @LarryQW on his post above.

@YFG @jfa002 Thanks for your participation on this thread. Are your Ionics working properly?

@Akshat_saxena Welcome to the Fitbit family! Thanks for posting your inquiry on this thread regarding the screen wake feature. 

What exactly are you experiencing with it? Have you tried a restart on your watch?

@Matt0785 It's great to see you in the Fitbit forums! Thanks for reporting the situation you are experiencing with your Ionic not connecting to your Android phone. Thanks for providing those details.

I went ahead and contacted you via PM. Please keep an eye on your Community inbox. 

@LarryQW Thanks for providing your awesome help on this thread! It is very helpful for all the users here. Smiley Very Happy

Keep me posted! 

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SantiR

I think you missed the point of my post. It is still not syncing with my phone. In its current state its an unreliable product.

I do feel for you mods though, I helped with modding the forum a bit for the software company I work for. You probably have someone saying that posts need responded to, well this isnt the right way with responses to things everyone has stated they've done and then the problem returns again. Release a slated release date for the next firmware and any release notes and known issues. That would stifle any noise about the sorry state things are in right now. Look into opening a public bug tracking system like jira and make it public facing so people can see progress. That would make people happy, not empty responses which could be populated by machine learning.

Yes my device is in the compatible devices. Have any of the devs seen any of the mess of errors I've seen when I run adb logcat? I've uninstalled the app as its useless, I just sync now by syncing with music transfer. You should drop the price of this device to 150 because I'm only able to use half the features.

Best Answer
Sorry you continue to have issues

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes
How do I remove myself from this conversation?
Best Answer
0 Votes

No software updates for the past couple of months while many issues still exist. Fitbit dumping Ionic and focusing on new devices like the Charge 3? 

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer