Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware Release - 32.10.20

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 08/23/2018: Hi everyone! 

Just wanted to thank you all for your participation in this thread. 

Since the majority of Ionic users have successfully updated to OS 2.1.1 (v32.10.20) I have decided to close this topic to further posts. 

If you still have not updated your Ionic to OS 2.1.1, check out this post for some best practices on how to update your device. 

If you are experiencing an issue with your Ionic unrelated to the firmware-up process, I invite you to start a new topic on the community or find a related topic. 

Thanks again to all the great feedback we have received on this firmware. Looking forward to the next Fitbit OS update! Robot Happy

Fitbit Update - 6/7/18: Fitbit OS 2.1.1 has been released to 100% of Ionic users!

Hi, everyone! Smiley Happy

I am excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 2.1.1! (Firmware Version: 32.10.20)

We've started to roll out this update to 30% of Ionic users. This is a progressive rollout, and all Ionic users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. 

You can find the release notes for this new OS version by following the link, here.  

Step by step instructions for updating your Ionic can be found here.

As a reminder, I recommend updating your Ionic over a home Wi-Fi network as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Ionic, I can also recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback on the latest release. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in this thread. 

Best Answer
561 REPLIES 561

Actually I've run into problems with my FitBits twice. In both instances support was pretty fast and they proceeded to send me a new one pretty quickly, so that's good.

What's not as good is the quality: my Charge 2 lasted 6 months before it got replaced, my Ionic barely three. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hardware problems can happen. Of course.

But I see a lot of software problems which are not solved.

On eache Fitbit tracker you see same problems like inaccurate heart rate, to much steps, no sleep stages, ....

So hopefully they are going to fix all problems to make the customer happy.

End!Now free time!
Best Answer

Yet sometimes what appears to be a software issue can be a hardware one. With my Charge 2 the problem was that after a point it suddenly became very inaccurate in reading my HR, shooting up and down all the way to 200+ BPM. That was obviously not due to some software setting or update...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I called yesterday about the issue with the gps.  For my watch, gps would connect and then about 20 minutes into the run, it would disconnect and never reconnect.  My only option was a factory reset, which I did.  Today, the gps won't connect at all.  I tried for 5 minutes, restarted the watch, and waited again and finally started my run.  I ran for a little over 30 minutes.  It never connected.  I'll be calling them again today.  

This is completely useless as a fitness watch.  The smart watch features work okay, but Fitbit wallet doesn't work with any of my banks, and the music jumps like I'm listening to a portable CD player.  So, it's useless as a smart watch too.

Best Answer

Fitbit, you have simply got so many chances to sort out so many issues this Ionic Brick has caused your customers, that you for sure should start to give people a chance to get their money back. I have asked to return mine, but will never accept another Ionic or Fitbit product again.

If possible, I would appreciate to receive a letter from Fitbit that can help me returning the Ionic in order to refund my money. Would you do that? 

7 months of trying every possible way to make the Ionic work properly is way to much time, but now my "beta test" for your Ionic is over. You have proven yourself over and over that the Ionic is a huge failure to many of your customers. 

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer

I am having same problems as well.  I have had to call Tech Support at least 1 to 3 times a week since last firmware update which by the way happened at 11am when I was riding my trail bike for exercise.  I have been asked twice to do a Factory Default reset and in case you haven't done that yet, no picnic entering in New information all over again and deleting Fitbit on mobile device and adding it back.  Tired of being a Beta rat for Fitbit Ionic.  Piece of crap!

Best Answer
Beta rat—good description of the frustrations on this thread.
Best Answer

Come on guys...My work gave me an Ionic for free...and despite a very frustrating start in March, I kinda like it.......until now......after three days waiting for my update to 32.10.20 (including a full disconnect & re-synch - that didn’t resolve), now I have to reset my preferred settings each mornng before a run! Amateur hour FB team....if you wanna’ play with the big boys at Garmin, Suunto & even Apple....tou gotta get the little things right!

i’m very sick of resetting every morning for something as simple as recording each km....so come on....sort this out......please?

Best Answer

So while Fitbit sort out my ionic that got bricked by the latest update ,I have gone back to my old surge with a broken strap ( had to mod it to use it)

Couple of things I be noticed 

It syncs in an instant ,none of the sync issues the ionic has 

Heart rate is at least 3/4 BPM less in relaxing again complaints about ionic heart rate being way off 

Battery life on surge sucks 

Fitbit Ionic and OnePlus 6T
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, it seems I am down to 2 days from 4 days prior to update.

Best Answer
0 Votes

had no problems since lase update. 

now when turning on bluetooth my watch gets locked (black screen) until bluetooth is turned off or watch is rebooted 😞

Best Answer

I don't know if this is a result of the recent upgrade or not, but over last week I have intermittently received the following message "Oops, looks like there's no internet connection - Retry ".  Restarts of my Samsung Note 8 doesn't help. Sitting right in front of WiFi transmitter doesn't reconnect either, even though the phone is otherwise showing it's connected to the Internet, and a Laptop in a room 40' away is also connected The only thing that seems to work is time - give up on the Fitbit Ionic & Fitbit App and try again later! As I said this is intermittent, as the Fitbit Ionic & App resumed "internet connection" while writing this post.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I had that happen when downloading Update, used Bluetooth and it worked.  I have also been getting some of the same thing with Internet Connection.

Sent from Blue ​
Best Answer
0 Votes
I get this too.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

Dear Fitbit,

Will someone please have a look at topic "Run maps don't load"? I suspect the server maintenance (or crash), or at least the downtime last week, erased my map data. Now my history has vanished.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone! Thanks for your continuous participation on this thread regarding Ionic's latest firmware version. Also, thanks for trying some steps to fix some situations you are experiencing and for reporting them here. 

I'm aware that you probably already tried all the basic troubleshooting steps, however, please take a look at all the information here about the requirements, error messages and troubleshooting steps that could help with the difficulties you've mentioned. 

Also, please try the following depending on what you are experiencing:

• If you've found trouble getting your notifications check out these troubleshoots. 
  • For error messages and continuous calibration message try a restart and turn it off and back on.
  • Restart the app if you're getting error messages.
  • Try these steps if you're not able to sync.
  • Follow these suggestions to improve the battery life as well.
  • Follow these steps if the firmware update is stuck.
  • If non of these helps, please report it to customer support for further assistance.

Thanks for all the feedback, Fitbit continuously works to improve the quality of products and services, and all this information is useful to our team of developers. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience. 

Keep me posted! 

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
All I want is an option to revert to the previous or original BIOS. I
tried all of these things and the stupid thing kept deducting calories
every time I synced. I have no idea what's going on under the hood, but
unless you guys indicate an awareness of what causes stuff like this, which
apparently you don't know yet, my next tracker will be a Xiaomi Mi Band 3.
You guys had one job...
Best Answer
0 Votes

Santi, thank you for doing your best to help.

When does Fitbit acknowledge though that the firmware "broke" a lot of devices?

Seems folks fall under three categories:  1) works fine.  2) GPS and/or notifications stop working.  or 3) battery life reduced to less than a day.

I unfortunately fell under the third (and probably the second, I didn't even check since the watch stopped charging).

After going through all the support steps, today I was emailed a return label to send it back for a replacement.  I'm worried that given how widespread this is, I'll update the replacement Ionic and have to repeat the process.

It's obvious there is something very very wrong with this update.  I can't imagine how many folks HAVEN'T posted that are experiencing issues simply because they don't know this board exists.  I've found a few on reddit and sent them here or let them know they are not alone.

Has it been suggested to Fitbit to roll back the update until they get a better handle on the rash of issues?  Otherwise their support is going to just be flooded (response time much slower than I have experienced in the past) and they're going to have to keep sending out replacements that may very well just end up with the same firmware issue.

Best Answer

@jharla1 wrote:

Santi, thank you for doing your best to help.

When does Fitbit acknowledge though that the firmware "broke" a lot of devices?

Seems folks fall under three categories:  1) works fine.  2) GPS and/or notifications stop working.  or 3) battery life reduced to less than a day.

I unfortunately fell under the third (and probably the second, I didn't even check since the watch stopped charging).

After going through all the support steps, today I was emailed a return label to send it back for a replacement.  I'm worried that given how widespread this is, I'll update the replacement Ionic and have to repeat the process.

It's obvious there is something very very wrong with this update.  I can't imagine how many folks HAVEN'T posted that are experiencing issues simply because they don't know this board exists.  I've found a few on reddit and sent them here or let them know they are not alone.

Has it been suggested to Fitbit to roll back the update until they get a better handle on the rash of issues?  Otherwise their support is going to just be flooded (response time much slower than I have experienced in the past) and they're going to have to keep sending out replacements that may very well just end up with the same firmware issue.

I am falling under item 3 on the Battery Life down from just over 4 days to below 2 days between charges and it has been since the update.  I have deleted all but the FitBit Apps and turned off ALL notifications and we will see how that goes as apps and notifications all use battery life.  I do have a friend that has an iPhone that did not get the Text Notifications option, that is also having a Battery Life problem so I would expect that it is not that part of the update causing the issue.

It is likely that this is a software issue caused by the Update, but I suppose it could be Hardware and we have a batch of Ionics where the batteries are failing to retain a charge.  It is not that they are not charging, it is that they are not holding a charge.  Cleaning charging contacts, drying the watch, faulty chargers are all symptoms of not being able to charge the device, not retaining a charge once it has been charged. 

The suggestion to "Roll Back" to the prior Update version until this is resolved is a very good one and I hope that FitBit is considering that as an option as we are just a few here complaining about this issue, how many people are out there that have not said anything.  

I will come back to edit this post in a couple of charge cycles where apps and notifications have been removed from my watch to provide the result on whether it helped increase the time between charges.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Shastaski,

Here is how mine went.  The battery started to die after just under two days.  Then it became one day.  Then less than a day.  After I followed support's steps to help prevent battery drain (turn off all day sync, turn off notifications, etc) you're left with just a watch that counts steps.  After all that, it died after 22 hours.

The kicker was after that final attempt to satisfy them, it never charged again.  It would only sit on the charger showing 0%.  I could get it to sync.  If removed from the charger, it died.  That apparently satisfied them enough to send me the prepaid return label.

Like you I thought maybe a bad batch.  I don't have a sample size though.  I was a day one user, purchased from fitbit.com and received the day before it hit retail.  However, three other folks I have talked to that are experiencing similar battery issues were not.  One purchased a month ago, another a week ago, and another around holidays.

Is it possible the retailers they used had inventory from launch?  Sure.  But not likely.

Best of luck if you are going through the support steps at the moment.  I was accused of using a third party charger on two occasions (which I am not), and eventually told to only use an iPhone charger to plug the cord into to attempt to charge.  That didn't work, and I'll be mailing back my Ionic today.  Not optimistic about when I get the new one.

Best Answer