Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware Release - 32.10.20

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 08/23/2018: Hi everyone! 

Just wanted to thank you all for your participation in this thread. 

Since the majority of Ionic users have successfully updated to OS 2.1.1 (v32.10.20) I have decided to close this topic to further posts. 

If you still have not updated your Ionic to OS 2.1.1, check out this post for some best practices on how to update your device. 

If you are experiencing an issue with your Ionic unrelated to the firmware-up process, I invite you to start a new topic on the community or find a related topic. 

Thanks again to all the great feedback we have received on this firmware. Looking forward to the next Fitbit OS update! Robot Happy

Fitbit Update - 6/7/18: Fitbit OS 2.1.1 has been released to 100% of Ionic users!

Hi, everyone! Smiley Happy

I am excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 2.1.1! (Firmware Version: 32.10.20)

We've started to roll out this update to 30% of Ionic users. This is a progressive rollout, and all Ionic users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. 

You can find the release notes for this new OS version by following the link, here.  

Step by step instructions for updating your Ionic can be found here.

As a reminder, I recommend updating your Ionic over a home Wi-Fi network as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Ionic, I can also recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback on the latest release. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in this thread. 

Best Answer
561 REPLIES 561
Return it. 7mos in and I can tell u it won’t get better.
Best Answer
Sleep tracking happens automatically. It really does know when you've gone
to sleep. Mileage is also tracked and is shown in the app. To view mileage
on the ionic itself you'll need to switch to a clockface that displays it.
Try one of the faces under the stats heavy category.
Best Answer

My sync is not working correctly any more. I cannot get heartbeat and sleep synced anymore. I have disconnected twice already and then connect again, But only the first time i get sleep and heartbeat records. So only If forget and reconnect entirely new. This is realy annoying. Please help.

Yvonne, ionic

Best Answer
Lol. Agree. After my post this morning it has quit counting steps or heart rate Been loyal to Fitbit for years. But ionic is just a bust

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I reset my ionic back to factory settings and re- installed the app. It is actually working right now.

Best Answer

Why does my ionic show  27.32.10.20

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rbiker68 that's actually the full version string. The 27 tends to get dropped when people reference the versions.

Best Answer

I do not find distance traveled when swiping the screen just steps. The only way my Ionic knows when I am sleeping is when I tell it so on the IOS device and tell the IOS when I am awake. My Charge HR did not require manual input it was automatic.My Ionic refuses to sync with my MacBook Pro. Bluetooth not pairing with my MacBook Pro. even with a Fitbit dongle. Hope the engineers can rectify these annoyances in the next firmware update.   

Best Answer
0 Votes

Many report here various issues with the Ionic, blaming the firmware/software and very critical of Fitbit for not fixing it. However, I suspect only a small fraction of the problems causing so much pain to users here are actually due to the software. It's more likely a hardware, corruption, or user setting issue. The reason I suspect this is that using this same software I've had very positive results. I don't think I'm unique, as 55% of the ratings on Amazon have 5 stars. OTOH, 14% have the lowest 1 star rating, usually citing similar issues as this thread. So there may be issues, but not necessarily software. 

I have been using my Ionic for a month now with this 32.10.20 firmware release. So far I've been extremely happy, and don't want to take it off except to charge during my shower. Here's my experience on some of the issues others have mentioned. 

CHARGING

I lose 20%/day (1%/hour) in normal operation, and 10%/hour with the GPS on during bike rides. The watch will charge at ~1%/minute for full charge  in 1.5 hours. Oddly right after I put on the watch, it'll gain a bonus ~3% of charge on my wrist over a couple hours, before going back down again. I suspect this might be my warm arm affecting the charge sensor. 

I turn off "All-Day Sync" and update manually a 2-4 times a day when I want to see my sleep or activity summary. I have "Always Connected" and "Keep-Alive Widget" turned on without effect on battery life.

One day (after an automatic App update?) I suddenly saw lots of continuous syncing between the watch and my Android phone (Moto Z2) even though I still had turned off "All-Day Sync". My phone and watch were both loosing charge fast, with my phone charge dropping 10X faster than normal and the watch dropping at 20%/hour, twice as fast as with a GPS! I noted a new (quick-fix?) App 2.74.2 became available that morning and downloaded that one. I also rebooted my Ionic (not the factory reset) by the three button method (hold down all buttons until the display flashes, then shows the Fitbit icon.) I do this once in a while with any potential problem since it's quick and there's no penalty as settings and data are not affected. 

By doing the App update and Ionic reboot, the rapid discharge stopped on both my phone and Ionic. The rapid syncing also stopped. I went back to the 20% discharge/day on the Ionic. Never had a problem with charging again since. 

SYNC

On occasions I have trouble syncing. I suspect it's usually the phone. I upgraded my phone during the last month, and my new phone (Moto Z2) is actually a bit worse keeping connection!  My watch face has a "Bluetooth" icon to show if it's connected. If I see this icon turn red, I usually just open my phone to the Bluetooth settings and hit the Ionic setting a couple times until it turns on. If it fails to link in 10-30 seconds, I reboot my phone (rarely) and sometimes reboot the Ionic (very rarely - only twice ever for this reason). 

GPS

I did a report on my GPS accuracy in the other Ionic GPS thread. The bottom line is that I was very surprised to see the Ionic had much greater position accuracy than either of my top of the line Garmin handheld units (Edge 1000 and eTrex Touch 30) at much greater price with a larger unit and antennas. 

The total ride distance with the GPS appears to be consistently low by ~3%, odd considering the greater GPS accuracy. 

When I go into bike mode (usually in the open), I get a satellite connection within about 10 seconds, on about the time it takes me to turn on my other two GPS on the handlebars.

The altitude during the ride varies from the two Garmins by a lot, yet oddly the net climb is usually within a couple percent of the other Garmins with a barometric altimeter. 

Heart Rate

I was highly skeptical of any optical based wrist HR measurement versus the electrical based chest strap I use with my Garmin GPS. During my ride, I'd keep the Ionic set to show HR while I climbed hard up and down hills. I was surprised to see the Ionic typically within 1 or 2 BPM of my Garmin chest strap. Sometimes I would see a bigger difference of 5-7 BPM, but it was not so much a difference in HR but time. That is, the Ionic HR would lag a couple seconds, both going up and down in HR, but otherwise the curves match. 

I had a friend take all my data from one ride for the two Garmins and the Ionic and compare them in software. He saw the HR data was essentially on top of one another, except for positive and negative spikes here and there with the Ionic. I suspect some of the spikes were from when I was playing with my watch. I note that if I twist my wrist to see the reading, the watch changes position and that can cause spikes too. I found it's better to leave the watch band slightly loose and push it up on my arm slightly, where I have less wrist twisting. But even in a lower position, it was fairly accurate overall. 

Sleep Logging

I was stunned at the performance of the Ionic in logging my sleep. It seemed to automatically figure out to the minute when I fell asleep and woke up. It also correctly sees the times I wake up at night. When it says REM sleep, I do remember some dreaming. Although sometimes I remember dreams but it says Light Sleep instead of REM. In general, I find it fairly accurate, and am amazed it does all this automatically.

If I take an hour or two nap, the Ionic never fails to record it, also with accurate start and stop times. But if I nap less than 3 hours, it can't map the sleep states, and just shows rest and awake periods. 

Since the watch does on this on its own automatically, I can't see how it matters if an Android or iOS phone is sitting next to it. It should work for both. 

Display

I found a nice digital face I like that reports some stats, weather, and the time with seconds. The first face I tried used Dark Sky's that was often off by 10 degrees!! That was the problem with Dark Sky as their web site was reporting the same wrong info. I found a different watch face that allowed use of AccuWeather, which was much better accuracy. I also like that it has a Bluetooth icon that shows it's connected properly all the way to the web, so the indication is accurate and up to date. I also allows me to monitor my phone's Bluetooth connection to assure sync operation. 

The screen is colorful and amazingly bright - very readable in all conditions, including bright sunlight. I found that if my shirt sleeve covers the light sensor on the inside edge of my arm (left side of the watch), the display will go dim. So I need to make sure to properly pull back my sleeve to get the correct brightness. 

I have not yet done music transfer, as I usually just use my phone or laptop to send to my ear buds. So I can't say anything on that. Nor have I use an exercise session besides the Bike activity. 

In sum, my experience with this firmware update has been outstanding. For those having troubles and frustrated, blaming the firmware/software may be unproductive since updates may never fix the issue anyway, if it isn't the cause. Better to first check your settings, do some reboots, and discuss hardware issues with Fitbit support. In many cases, you might need a replacement. As I detail above, some watches really do work very well with the existing software. 

Best Answer

@LarryQW While a detailed post, I think what you're missing is that many users reporting the problems had similar experiences as yours:  Satisfied and loved the Ionic.... until it stopped working.

Last time I looked I had one of the most "helpful"/top reviews for the Blaze & Charge 2, 5 stars for both.  I never got around to rating the Ionic.  Since I've always been a day one user, I liked to share my initial experiences and comments on improvements and upgrades to the new units.  Didn't do it for the Ionic for whatever reason.

Anyways, I'd have given the Ionic 5 stars I guess.  But here we are less than a year later and after the latest firmware update, my battery started draining at a high rate until it eventually wouldn't get past a 0% charge.

Not my first rodeo with fitbit community boards, and I've always said if you go to a support board for a product, of course you're going to see complaints.  Seen it with original Charge HR bands, etc.

But this time it's different.  I've never seen so many posts at such frequency for a common issue:  dying batteries.  And they started with the firmware update.  Were there some before that?  Sure.  But they are more frequent now.

Assuming someone posting gets a reply from a fitbit mod/support here, it's always the same:  reset it, turn off all options, etc etc, and after those don't work in nearly all cases, they are cast to deal with support to likely end up in line to get a unit replaced.

Obviously some units went through the firmware update with no problem.  Yours among them.  My parents each have Ionics, and haven't suffered the same fate as I have either.  So good on you.

But this IS a widespread issue, affecting more than just a handful of users.  I'm thrilled yours works... gives me hope that after my month-long dance with support the unit they are shipping me may actually work.  But I have my doubts.  And if or when something happens to the replacement they send me, I'll be out of the 12 month warranty window.  That's an expensive $300 lesson to buy from a retailer other than fitbit and chosen an extended warranty.

At this point I'd just like the company to acknowledge like they did with the android app problems that it's a known bug and they're working on a fix.  Fat chance.  Something happened after the last firmware update.... there are too many battery draining posts to ignore the evidence otherwise.

Best Answer

Spot on.

By the way, with all these problems people forgot about other glaring omissions, like the SpO2 sensor 😄

Regarding replacements, I wouldn't activate one just yet, indeed one risks running into the same problems. On the other hand, in the EU at least the warranty period (which is 2, not 1 year) resets and starts counting again after a repair or replacement, at least if the problem is the same. This is of course to prevent manufacturers from getting away with a replacement with a similarly malfunctioning product. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jharla1  My fear is at some point that my Ionic will misbehave like many see happening after a few months. I really like the Ionic very much and would be very upset myself if that were to happen.

For sure there's real problems occurring with the Ionic. It's hard to say what frequency since this forum typically just gets those most vocal with complaints. Fitbit isn't about to tell us. But of the 3500 ratings on Amazon, 55% are 5-stars and 14% are 1-star. The ratings are quite bipolar indicating love unless failure.  Looking quickly through the 1-star ratings, they see all sorts of non-functional problems. Some look to be user errors. But most look to be hardware failures, sometimes after months, such as an abrupt complete failure, sudden reduction in charging or life, mechanical failure or water damage,.... This is a horrendous rate for a new product. 

I hoped their quality control has improved by waiting until June to purchase. Although some negative reviews are current failures from purchases made months ago, I also still see failures reported in the reviews even from recent purchases. 

However, what I'm saying is that blaming the failures on the software may be pointing the finger in the wrong direction. Well over half the Ionics look to be working great on this new software which indicates the software itself is not a likely culprit.  I described my positive experience with the most commonly reported failures reported here. How could the software for each one of these different problems work well on one watch but not another?

In my personal case of rapid discharge and continuous syncing, it looked to have been a bad phone App, that was quickly corrected by an App update and reboot. Others reported issues at that same time and a warning was put at the head of Fitbit web pages during that time, so this was indeed a universal problem. 

It could be that the strain of any update induces hardware failures, which are already common. Some of the Fitbit Apps could be misbehaving. They are updated automatically and the installed set can vary from watch to watch. And there could be user errors, corruption, on top of the hardware failures. 

Bottom line, of all the possibilities of failure, the lack of universal problems on all watches makes this update an unlikely culprit for the problems. It might be contributing, but the principle problems appear to be elsewhere. 

Best Answer

I know, that there are user with 100% perfect working Ionic.

Strange that all Fitbit tracker have nearly the same problems, like synchronization,  not accurate heart beats, wrong counting steps, no sleep stages,  and so on. That's not only on Ionic!

But nobody knows who gave the Ionic back without complaining!

Enjoy your tracker, when it work 100% perfect!

I'm on the other side! No Fitbit anymore! Wasted to much time!

End!Now free time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@LarryQW there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which Ionics are affected.  I opined it could be firmware or hardware.  We will never know.  Based on those I've had dialogue with on this forum and other fitbit social media pages, it doesn't matter if you're a day one user like myself or someone who bought a week ago.  Ionics are failing no matter when they were purchased.  I can discount this by saying maybe they all had day one stock and just didn't sell them until 7 days ago, but that's not likely.

While I agree with you that this forum will of course see more vocal complaints (and said as such), this is more than the usual banter.  I may not have many posts, but I've visited these forums many times over the years going back to the great bubbling band debacle the OG Charge HR turned into (and in that case, I was a lucky one not affected).  As it turns out, that ended up being a huge problem for Fitbit and they took a massive warranty charge.  It's why they had to change up the design to the bands you could swap in their flagship designs from that point forward.

I can say that the battery draining issue is on par, if not worse, than the bubbling bands frequency back then when gauging the number of posts to the forums.  I was mistaken then in thinking it was just a "vocal minority."  

Their quality control is not good.  And the return process is an absolute nightmare now.  This coming from someone who had great interactions with them just a couple or three years ago when I had issues.  It's night and day.

I love their products...  When they work.  And unfortunately unless you have a backup unit, you're going to be without a working fitbit for well over a month.  Yes, that is indeed how long it takes.  Started support process on 6/13, and currently my replacement is scheduled to be delivered to me tomorrow 7/24.  I'm not alone in that timeline.  Appears those in Europe fair batter as far as return timelines.  The USA returns seem to take the longest.

It's a large problem, that isn't being addressed... likely because why would they want to admit to it and scare off buyers.  New posts crop up daily about batteries draining quickly.  I don't think it's some orchestrated attack... at least I hope not.  But it is frustrating after all these years of being loyal to the product to be treated the way many of us have when simply trying to get a working replacement.

Good luck with your Ionic and I hope it continues to go strong.  I hope my new one is of the "good" batch or whatever happened.  This certainly has left me for the first time seriously looking at Garmin products (tried the apple watch, and until they get the battery life improved, it's a nonstarter).  It's a shame.  I've defended the company and their products for a long time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i am pretty sure most problems are about software. i can not believe that this huge problem about the inability to reconnect to gps when it gets lost is a hardware problem. that would not reflect the state of problem. so there may besome hardware problems, but those are the minority for sure. this is why the majority of us hopes that fitbit finally solves those easy problems by starting to make a better qm on its software development.

the problem ist that we ionic users seem to be the alphatesters of the whole fitbit universe. those buying the versa had an advantage because they bought a product with already better software base.

now it is time to solve bugs and do not integrate too many new features that has a lower priotrity level. with a stable software it is easy to go further but there are still too many errors which have to be adressed.

Best Answer

hi,

I have tried that now, and i am having the most difficult time to even get it to display something else then hi, go to setup to update your tracker. But anyway i still hope this works. I have not configured the wifi and it seems to be going better now. Thank you for your help.

greets yvonne

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sadly you may be correct. The hardware, as far as design is concerned is great but the problem may well go deeper than software glitches. The trackers are very delicate electronic devices, and as such there has to be a certain percentage of those with defects that escape the scrutiny of quality control. These problems occur with any electronic devices you can name. If your lucky you can get a good life out of a product, on the other hand components can fail miserably after a few months. How many times do you hear that a device has failed/gone kaput just days after the warranty has run out. The whole concept of 'Fitbit' and other fitness entrepreneurs producing fitness devices and software is very welcome, but we expect to get good mileage out of the hardware for our large financial investment. Fitbit has to rely on their manufacturing and design partners, therefore, we hope they will tighten up any shortfall in stringent quality control procedures and ensure components  are sourced from the very best trusted suppliers.

Best Answer

Have had two Charge 2 HR and one Ionic failing within a few short months after buying.

Just saying.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is freezing when turning my wrist makes the screen come up.  heartrate stops working, and the battery goes down down down down down until, 3 1/2 hours after I unplugged it and went to work, it's now dead. 0%.  It lost 100% in 3.5 hours, which is ridiculous.  It also has been counting steps when I've been sitting in a chair forever.  This Ionic used to work perfectly and now half the time it won't connect to blue tooth on my phone to sync and it continuously freezes up.  And I literally only use it as a fitness tracker/watch.  I don't do any apps. I don't put music on it. It just lives on my wrist. What are my options here?  I feel ripped off at this point and as a fairly recently diagnosed diabetic, I can't be caught without data on what's going on with my everyday movement and life.  

Best Answer

@skullvankrush Feel your pain. Mine lasted 6 months starting last Nov. I left it as plain as can be. I knew there were slight tolerances in capturing data and I was good with that. Everything crashed immediately after updating f/w to 32.10.20. I'm not saying it was s/w that's the culprit but I do believe it had some to do with h/w failure I believe ended my Ionic and lately you've been hearing ppl talk about QC. Unfortunately FB can use their disclaimer against me because I got mine from ebay and did not review the fine print prior to my purchase so basically I donated money to them. They pretty much black balled me for that and I was not given any type of support. The only reason I hang around this community is to bring justice to me and to all the other ppl who have lost the use of a product that is a **ahem**. Granted there are folks here that have never had a problem which begs me to ask why they're hear reading the negative comments and replying to them. they should just mind their own business. We are here for help because there is a serious problem with the device and FB corporate is not saying anything towards their screw up.

In the end my advice to you is if you have the ability to return it for a refund you should do so immediately. You can get a replacement but you'll have to wait minimum of a month (from what I read) and you could still have an issue with it. Go elsewhere and get something you can rely on.

Best Answer