Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware Release - 32.10.20

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 08/23/2018: Hi everyone! 

Just wanted to thank you all for your participation in this thread. 

Since the majority of Ionic users have successfully updated to OS 2.1.1 (v32.10.20) I have decided to close this topic to further posts. 

If you still have not updated your Ionic to OS 2.1.1, check out this post for some best practices on how to update your device. 

If you are experiencing an issue with your Ionic unrelated to the firmware-up process, I invite you to start a new topic on the community or find a related topic. 

Thanks again to all the great feedback we have received on this firmware. Looking forward to the next Fitbit OS update! Robot Happy

Fitbit Update - 6/7/18: Fitbit OS 2.1.1 has been released to 100% of Ionic users!

Hi, everyone! Smiley Happy

I am excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 2.1.1! (Firmware Version: 32.10.20)

We've started to roll out this update to 30% of Ionic users. This is a progressive rollout, and all Ionic users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. 

You can find the release notes for this new OS version by following the link, here.  

Step by step instructions for updating your Ionic can be found here.

As a reminder, I recommend updating your Ionic over a home Wi-Fi network as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Ionic, I can also recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback on the latest release. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in this thread. 

Best Answer
561 REPLIES 561

I have mixed feelings so far about this latest update.

The update process itself failed the first time (Wi-Fi, which has never worked for me, the Ionic will not connect to wifi ever.), so I tried Bluetooth. It failed the first time, but the second time it worked ...

That is, until the end, when the Ionic indicated it was done, but my phone still said it was Installing.

After restarting the Ionic and the phone, it appeared to work, in that the Ionic showed my watch face etc.

However, after around 15 minutes, it told me it needed to recalibrate and I had to connect the power cable. That process finished in about 30 seconds, so all set.

What is not working anymore (and has never worked very well) is text and call notifications. I do not get any at all anymore. Yes, notifications have been turned on, I already checked that, and yes, the Ionic has been restarted to make sure as well.

It is clear to me that Fitbit is very weak when it comes to notifications, and all these recent update have not made a positive impact.

Rather then creating updates which do not have any customer facing impact, it would be nice for Fitbit to focus a bit more on what their customers are saying, and do something about the problems we face.

And as far as customer facing updates (which this one is said not to be one of), yes, it does have an impact as notifications are no longer working at all ......

Best Answer

@USAF-Larry wrote:

I received the update last night, and it downloaded/installed in 8 minutes.  When I received notice that update was available, I put the Ionic on the charger cable so it could connect to the WiFi, opened the Android app on the phone and started the download. It downloaded quickly, then went into the install. The install part took almost 5 minutes to complete, then it started a sync.  After everything completed, I restarted the Ionic, and everything has worked good since then.

Does the left have button have three options or the swipe up look different?

Best Answer
0 Votes

The app has been on the "Updating Your Fitbit Ionic" screen for over two hours, and the progress bar has not moved.  I am unable to exit from that screen.  I read the "help" articles but none of them listed this issue.  Please advise.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Call em back and this time keep your gob shut about where you got it from  The watch is less than a year old so it's under warranty just tell them it was a gift....

Best Answer

@JRitzman wrote:

The app has been on the "Updating Your Fitbit Ionic" screen for over two hours, and the progress bar has not moved.  I am unable to exit from that screen.  I read the "help" articles but none of them listed this issue.  Please advise.

Looks like the update is complete. If your watch had already restarted don't worry about the phone app. Just force close it. Press the home button, go to main screen open list of apps view and close. She will be fine. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JRitzman Mine took well over 2 hours and near the end the App updating bar was fully extended and probably another 20 minutes after that the watch was updated and working. The App was still going, then suddenly it said syncing and your ready to go.

When the watch was working before the App finished the new version number was in the PC  Dashboard and the Ionic. With the App still running at that stage I was a little concerned.

@JRitzman wrote:

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

It does not sound logical that the update process is complete if the progress bar is still at 0.  The firmware version still shows at .15.  Other firmware updates have taken a couple hours or more, but the progress bar was always (slowly) moving.

If I take your word for the fact that all will be fine if I close the App, but my Ionic turns into a mini-brick, will I be reimbursed?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did not notice that the watch ever restarted, and as I mentioned it still shows version .15 of the firmware.

After clicking the Home button and opening the list of apps, the FitBit app is not listed.  If I tap on the app's icon so as to open the app, I am returned to the "Updating Your Fitbit Ionic" screen, with a progress bar that has made no progress.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JRitzman wrote:

It does not sound logical that the update process is complete if the progress bar is still at 0.  The firmware version still shows at .15.  Other firmware updates have taken a couple hours or more, but the progress bar was always (slowly) moving.

If I take your word for the fact that all will be fine if I close the App, but my Ionic turns into a mini-brick, will I be reimbursed?

I am telling you what happened with me. My phone was stuck in lala land for ever. The watch restarted and in the settings page of the watch the version number was already to the number which came up as the update. I force closed the app because the watch already showed its face and not when the update was not complete. If you read my suggestion you will see I mention it looks like it is complete and if your watch has restarted ... anyway see how you go.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JRitzman wrote:

I did not notice that the watch ever restarted, and as I mentioned it still shows version .15 of the firmware.

After clicking the Home button and opening the list of apps, the FitBit app is not listed.  If I tap on the app's icon so as to open the app, I am returned to the "Updating Your Fitbit Ionic" screen, with a progress bar that has made no progress.

That means the app hasn't crashed and it is actually updating. Has the watch gone through the fitbit logo and the progress bar screen where the face turns all blue if not then the phone is still possibly downloading.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why do you assume that my watch has restarted?  I have not noticed that is has restarted.  It still shows the old firmware version number.  Why do you say "it looks like it is complete" if, as I said, the progress bar has not moved?  I don't understand how you come to your conclusion.  I thank you for trying to help me through this process, but I would like a little bit more of an explanation regarding the advice you are providing.  Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JRitzman wrote:

Why do you assume that my watch has restarted?  I have not noticed that is has restarted.  It still shows the old firmware version number.  Why do you say "it looks like it is complete" if, as I said, the progress bar has not moved?  I don't understand how you come to your conclusion.  I thank you for trying to help me through this process, but I would like a little bit more of an explanation regarding the advice you are providing.  Thanks!

I haven't assumed it has restarted, I just said if it has restarted (read after the fitbit logo and blue update screen on watch going full) then possibly the phone app is stuck (like it happened in my case) which will stop the progress bar.

It has happened to me with a 100% strike rate on previous updates too. The watch happily gets the update sorted out while the phone kind of falls asleep. I am not sure exactly how these updates get installed ( via wifi on phone then passed on to watch through Bluetooth, or both use wifi) For all I know my instinct tell me that after the update was loaded to the watch from the phone it lost connection with the tracker and hence the progress bar stops while the watch goes on about it's business and finishes the update and is all set to go. Previously it also happened that when the update failed to install and watch restarted I force closed the app and the update available screen showed up again.

I don't know what else to say.  When the FAQ's page on many manufactures page are least helpful I tend to read it as FA-Q, which leaves me to my own devices including the pricey ones that I purchase.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Tired of trying and trying to update with no luck. Dumping Fitbit and getting an Apple Watch.  This isn’t worth all the haste.  Good luck everyone!

Best Answer
0 Votes

so there you go, the update came through to my iphone app today, so by way of feedback.........

My ionic updated, took around 15 mins ( could have been less, but i came back after 15 mins and it was done)

No issues as with all previous updates, did the sensor reset ...no problems.

cant say anything is different, nothing is faster/slower

..........................just disappointed, when are we going to get a real upgrade??????

How about an upgrade that gives users something functional?

As of this evening the heart rate zone alarm has 4104 votes..........is it really too difficult to give us such an upgrade??????

cmon fitbit, you need to do better 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since updating,my ionic has been stopping tracking mid run - it saves the run and the gps appears to work but nothing else (distance, steps, heart rate etc) gets logged.  I reset it and it’s still

happening.  I’m using it for run tracking 4-5 times per weeks - this is really frustrating.  I’d appreciate help resolving quickly.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Using GPS the battery is unlikely to last thru a half marathon.
Best Answer
0 Votes

After skipping the last 3 firmware updates because of fear to ruin the watch, I decided to take the plunge this time.

I did try to take into account all precautions I have read about here. I disabled all Wifi and Bluetooth devices in the house, and placed both the watch and the smartphone right under the router. Both charging.

Ionic's firmware update part 1: the update process

And the update happened in 20 minutes... Only small issue was that the app showed the update still 'in progress' when it actually was done. And when closing the message, some warning ''Are you sure? The update is not completed". But on the watch all seemed fine. So after some waiting and doubts, I just closed the app. The watch asked to calibrate, which took a few seconds. And done. It was so unexpectedly straightforward and easy. 

Ionic's firmware update part 2: the accuracy

Today I did a run and a bike tour. Both with GPS, and playing a music playlist of the Ionic to my Bluetooth headset. Accuracy of GPS didn't improve, but is - for me - acceptable. Just the 4% deviation of reality.

HR accuracy also didn't improve and is still very poor. When running, I seem to be at 200 BPM after 30 seconds and I stay there untill the end of the run... I should be dead...

Sleep accuracy hard to say. I usually sleep when sleep accuracy is measured 🙂. I just noticed that the one and only night I had after the update - last night - there was a stop of measurement during 1,5 hour. This never happened before. But I'm not sure this is due to the update. 

Ionic's firmware update part 3: the connectivity

Syncing with app and Fitbit's DB: no problem

WiFi (update): seemed OK

Bluetooth (update + music streaming): all fine

I didn't try to update my playlists yet. That I remember was a very cumbersome process a few months ago. I am careful not to push my luck 🙂!

Ionic's firmware update part 4: the verdict

I admit: It scared the h*ll out of me even thinking about risking a Fitbit firmware update after my previous experiences with Ionic's connectivity failures. But I must be honest and say that this time it went surprisingly smooth.

On the other hand we shouldn't be surprised a firmware update happens smooth. That should be the minimum. The device still has accuracy issues. 

Short: my watch has the latest firmware and works. But none of the issues seem to be solved.

Best Answer

Thanks to all for your comments and feedback on this latest Firmware Release.  I admit, I'm a little leery to download another one so soon after the last one took away my text notifications.  I'm disappointed they weren't able to get a fix for that out in this version so I may just wait for the next one.  My Blaze and now my Ionic have been so handy and integral to my life, I took them just working for granted.  Now that it doesn't, it's incredibly inconvenient.  However, all of my fitness functions have and continue to work just fine, unlike some of the other comments I've seen.  I've never had any issues with steps, heart rate, exercises, active minutes, sleep accuracy, etc.  I have noticed the battery life is slightly diminished since the last release but not significantly so.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jd529 wrote:

@MattFitbit Thank you for the help. I tried restarting my ionic, hopefully that'll help with the battery drain since the upgrade. And below is the error message I get whenever I clear any sort of notification from my ionic, and the notification is still present on my phone. 20180605_174730~2.jpg

I have the same problem as this. Is there a fix for this?

Best Answer

I had this error with OS2.1 and still with OS2.11 but not with all notifications types.

@davidf100010 wrote:

@Jd529 wrote:

@MattFitbit Thank you for the help. I tried restarting my ionic, hopefully that'll help with the battery drain since the upgrade. And below is the error message I get whenever I clear any sort of notification from my ionic, and the notification is still present on my phone. 20180605_174730~2.jpg

I have the same problem as this. Is there a fix for this?

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes