Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware release - 27.31.1.29

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi all!

I am super excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 1.2! (Firmware Version: 27.31.1.29)

We've begun to roll out this new firmware to 10% of Ionic users. This is a progressive rollout, and all Ionic users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. This firmware update includes:

Feature update:

What’s fixed:

• We fixed an issue where some customers’ clocks didn’t update after switching time zones.
  • We fixed an issue where some customers experienced syncing issues after interrupting clock face installation.
  • We fixed an issue where some customers noticed the Exercise app crashed after double tapping an exercise.
  • This release also includes bug fixes and stability improvements.

Click here to view our Fitbit OS help article!

Instructions for updating your Ionic can be found here.

I would also recommend updating your Ionic over Wi-Fi as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Ionic, I can also recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback on the latest release. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know! 

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
447 REPLIES 447

I updated my watch yesterday. It took around 25 minutes. I have an iPhone 7 Plus. 

So far my Ionic works perfect. 

Best Answer

@ErickFitbitWith a support supervisor I not only restarted it but factory reset it.  Annoyingly the factory reset also reset the firmware requiring a while to update it again.  It was after the factory reset I tracked 87 out of 100 steps. That is when they offered to exchange it.

I did try an elliptical yesterday and noticed for several minutes that steps were being tracked but only when I was moving faster, when I slowed down (program on the unit) no steps were tracked and as I sped up the steps started increasing slowly, but definitely didn't make up for the multiple minutes of missing steps and often it was tracking 1 step for every 2 (though I have always been confused by tracking steps on an elliptical but it a field for the activity). 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had major issues with syncing right before the update.  I wanted to make sure wifi was connected before I started, I tried all night and gave up until morning. After I woke up, it did in fact sync, then I hooked to wifi then started the update.

Has anyone else noticed after the update how fast it snaps back to clock after apps and swiping?  It's a huge improvement!  I wonder if they kept the clock alive in the background to fix this lag problem.

Best Answer

Just updated 

No problems 

Best Answer

And now, since upgrading late yesterday, my Ionic is no longer collecting heart rate data.

As per the many references in this thread, I have tried turning heart rate off/on within the Ionic's settings. I have restarted my Ionic at least a dozen times. No change. I have tried turning off hear rate in settings, restarting the Ionic and turning heart rate back on. All sorts of combinations. Nothing will enable heart rate. Occasionally the green light will flash, most times it does not. My Ionic is not a month old; this certainly seems related to the firmware update.

Best Answer

The only thing left is to try a Factory Reset.  That puts you back to the first time you used your tracker so ANY changes, additions, deletions, updates,etc. have to be done again.

Swipe left to Settings App and touch. Scroll down to About, touch, and then scroll down to Factory Reset.  Good Luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

What happens if I disconnect while it's trying to download? I finally got it working half way well & now this update comes & it's been an hour already & I'm afraid I'm going to wish I hadn't even tried to do the update. I've only had this for 60 days & had a horrendous time getting set up originally. It's just too stressful & frustrating. It really shouldn't be this tough. I never have been able to connect it to wi-fi even after trying all the steps in all the articles & talking & talking & talking to people at the help desk. So yes, it's downloading the update using Bluetooth & the gray line doesn't even appear to be moving to show progress.

Best Answer

Updated yesterday

No issue currently

Best Answer

@ErickFitbit Yes, I tried restarting. Several times. I talked with Julian over chat support and did a factory reset. Still not counting steps. It seems to count better when walking but not running. Just did 3500 steps running on my treadmill and my ionic logged 2148 steps. My treadmill has a step counter which is very accurate. Prior to the firmware update the 2 were always within 50 steps of each other even up to 10k steps. Any other ideas?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Updated today. Took two tries to get WiFi  working but everything was smooth after that. My ionic seems to be working fine but I updated *after* my run today so I have not tested the main thing that I want fixed...the HR accuracy. 

My hopes are not high though since I didn' see any mention of HR in the pages I skimmed. 

Did they even address the HR issue with this new firmware?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Syncing resolved itself with no further intervention from me. I just left it alone for a few hours and it was working ok, been fine since 🙂

Best Answer
Thank you for you reply, I have done everything both with the app the mac software and resetting the phone. For me it just doesnt work
Best Answer
0 Votes

Updated yesterday. Took 10 mins. 

No issues, was very straight forward 

Best Answer

Just a quick update. After upgrade yesterday all seemed well until I tried to sync this morning with my iPhone.....nothing. Restarted phone. Restarted Ionic. Syncing restored. Not sure which did the trick but hey ho, it the end result that counts!

Best Answer

Since the update my ionic sensitivity for counting flights of stairs has dropped dramatically. 5 or 7 floors / flights of stairs is registering as 1. I have reinstalled the firmware 3 times and it’s the same every time. Is this a common problem and will it be fixed?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since the update my ionic sensitivity for counting flights of stairs has dropped dramatically. 5 or 7 floors / flights of stairs is registering as 1. I have reinstalled the firmware 3 times and it’s the same every time. Is this a common problem and will it be fixed?

Best Answer
0 Votes

So no one is going to point out that this firmware update STILL doesn't include the advertised SpO2 capabilities?! Maybe the plan is to make the update progress so buggy as to distract from the complete lack of content in the update itself?!

Best Answer
I've been saying mine doesn't track correctly either & everybody tells me
I'm crazy. I wore both Fitbits for a few days & my old one counted at least
15% more steps than the Ionic. Do I have to be swinging my arm for a step
to count? Or is there something wrong in the settings? I'm still not happy
with this & wish I'd never gotten it.
Best Answer

Screenshot_20180222-102426.jpg

Sleep ja wrong

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, I performed the factory reset.

Here's the outcome:

- when in an exercise mode, heart appears to track as expected

- when not in exercise mode, heart rate is locked at the last reading in exercise mode

Heart rate is enabled on the watch.

If I restart the watch there is no longer any heart rate displayed on the watchface.

I expected things to be completely reset to factory defaults. However, the watchface I had previously set was still active (though back to default colors) and apps I had removed were still removed. The Exercise app did revert to original exercise choices, not my customized list. So, I would not consider this has performed a full factory reset.

It's unfortunate that the Ionic is such a finicky device. I was having no perceivable issues prior to the firmware update; and now I have an untrustworthy device.

UPDATE: After posting I attempted another Exercise routine, and this time it did not record any heart rate. I'm only attempting to use Fitbit designed watchfaces as well. Looks like I'll be needing to return my Ionic.

UPDATE 2: After working with support, and walking through all the standard troubleshooting one more time, I received the message to plug my Ionic in and set it down for 15 seconds to calibrate sensors. At this time, it appears to be tracking heart rate once again. Will certainly be watching closely and this seems to be some serious hoops to jump through for something it would seem should just work.

Best Answer