Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware release - 27.31.1.29

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi all!

I am super excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 1.2! (Firmware Version: 27.31.1.29)

We've begun to roll out this new firmware to 10% of Ionic users. This is a progressive rollout, and all Ionic users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. This firmware update includes:

Feature update:

What’s fixed:

• We fixed an issue where some customers’ clocks didn’t update after switching time zones.
  • We fixed an issue where some customers experienced syncing issues after interrupting clock face installation.
  • We fixed an issue where some customers noticed the Exercise app crashed after double tapping an exercise.
  • This release also includes bug fixes and stability improvements.

Click here to view our Fitbit OS help article!

Instructions for updating your Ionic can be found here.

I would also recommend updating your Ionic over Wi-Fi as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Ionic, I can also recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback on the latest release. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know! 

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
447 REPLIES 447

2 1/2 day update from me. 

Battery life seems like it will almost double. Before the update I was getting almost exactly 1hr to 1% battery in my "standby condition" (watch turned on, sleep tracking, occasionally checking the time and being reminded to move). 

Now I seem to get almost 2hr to 1% battery. 

I left the ionic to fully charge on Wednesday night along with the update.

At 8am this morning I had 70% remaining, went out for a 5K, roughly 30 minute run with GPS and music and returned with 53% battery. 

Pre-update I have a route that MapMyRun says is 6.48k but my ionic clocked at anywhere between 6.2 and 6.6k. 

The GPS trace looks slightly more accurate than previously, but I will need probably a couple of weeks to see if the results are more consistent. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh, and for what it's worth, the step count for the route I ran today seems broadly in line with what it was before.

My ionic used to ignore a lot of stair cases (annoying when my girlfriends blaze counts our stairs at home for her without fail). It seems that mine now notices stairs more often, again this will take time to verify properly. 

The guys struggling with this, I can't  help but think there must be some sort of manufacturing problem manifested in specific devices. 

I haven't had to jump through any hoops, do restarts or resets. My music was still on my watch after the update, heart rate seems the same for the same effort and the time is accurate. Ionic syncs to the app easily, and even without Bluetooth when it's on charge (must automatically connect to wifi while charging). 

If this isn't just happening for you, I think it points to a hardware problem more than user error. 

Best Answer
Hi, since that last GPS log I have recorded another run which recordes fine
and synced really quickly so thankfully it's business as usual. The run
that didn't work only synced the overall distance and time taken but didn't
record splits, gps location so not map, but those features are now back
with the new runs.
Best Answer
0 Votes
@MattFitbit as for your advice to follow the steps in the article below....I AM connecting to a home network.  The Iphone 6S on which the Fitbit app resides is already connected to the wifi network, but the app 'can't find wifi'.  I've done this over and over and over....   Really???  The router, phone and Ionic are within inches of each other. WHICH TYPES OF WI-FI NETWORKS CAN MY FITBIT WATCH CONNECT TO?Your Fitbit watch can connect to open, WEP, WPA personal, and WPA2 personal Wi-Fi networks. Your watch won’t connect to 5GHz, 802.11ac, WPA enterprise, or public Wi-Fi networks that require logins, subscriptions, or profiles. If you see fields for a username or domain when connecting to the Wi-Fi network on a computer, the network isn’t supported. For best results, connect your watch to your home or work Wi-Fi network. Make sure you know the network password before connecting.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MattFitbit

And upon trying Bluetooth I get 'The operation couldn't be completed. (FBBluetoothError Domain error 18'

The device (app) will not connect to either WiFi or Bluetooth.  Can I return the Ionic for a refund so I can go buy a device that actually works?

Best Answer

Since the new update it losing whole days of data and not syncing correctly

Best Answer
*Although I have disabled all e-mail regarding the update, it seems to be*

Du bist Blöde !
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Matt

How are you?

I´ve been seeing a lot of comments on the topic Ionic Firmware release - 27.31.1.29 but I am never seeing any replies.

Please, consider this private message to try to help me and other possible user that could be having the same problem.

After I had been applied the update to the released version 27.31.1.29, when I tried to start a running session, the GPS gets never connected.

I've tried to restart several times, I've been waiting for several minutes to GPS tries to connect, I've tried in another type of exercises like outdoor bike but seems to be a GPS general problem.

The most funny is that this release was developed to improve the GPS tracking - What's changed in the latest Fitbit OS update?

"We improved the way we track your distance when you’re tracking a run with GPS"

You clearly didn't test the features released very well Smiley Happy

I've never had problems with GPS, why all the users needs to get the update if this kind of problem was affecting just a part of the users?

This update is definitely a step backwards in my experience. Its a disaster!

Bluetooth, WiFi and GPS issues are related after users got the update.

Please, post a new topic explaining how to roll back to the previous version or release a new fixed version ASAP.

YOU WILL LOST USERS to Samsung GearFitPro 2 very quickly.

I'am one of whose are seriously thinking on that.

Thanks for your consideration.

Best Answer

I’m having exact same issue!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I feel You! My Ionic used to count more,but since I reported this bug (yesterday) and after I restarted the tracker, it misses some floors now. My girlfriend's Charge 2 beats me again! :)) Maybe tomorrow it will count correct, as average😁

Best Answer

Mine has not stopped rebooting itself every few minutes for an hour now!  What is going on!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Haltet alle das Maul ich will eure Mails nicht mehr !

Moderator's edit: word choice

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jnesbitt82 @Firthviewer Thanks for getting back to me. It is possible that the issues you had experienced were related to the compatibility of your device. You can find the full list of supported devices, by following the link, here

@Lauscher Sorry you keep receiving notifications! You can unsubscribe from this thread by clicking on the gear icon in the upper right-hand corner and selecting 'unsubscribe'. Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

@TheAssimiator There is not currently a way to revert back to a previous firmware version. If you are having Bluetooth connectivity issues, I recommend following each of the troubleshooting steps detailed in this article

@KT-SanDiego Thanks for the feedback. I will be sure to pass this information on to our team. If you continue to have issues with your heart rate monitor, I can recommend checking out this article, for some troubleshooting tips. 

@Magrew Glad to hear that you are syncing again! Please keep in mind that your Ionic will only connect to Wi-Fi to complete firmware updates and transfer music. Otherwise, you will only need Bluetooth connection with your phone. 

@Minkah @Xlilsisx Glad to hear that you have successfully updated. If you continue to experience syncing inconsistencies, please follow each of the steps detailed, here. That should help to get you Ionic syncing again. 

@Lox83BR Thanks for the feedback. At this time, there is not a way to roll back to a previous firmware version. However, our team is interested in hearing more feedback in regard to your GPS experience. If you have anything further to add, I invite you to provide your feedback in this dedicated thread for GPS.

@leeshiela Great to hear that you got your screen wake working again! 

@Serkhan Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry to hear that your floor count still is inaccurate. I will be sure to forward your feedback to our team. In the meantime, I can provide some additional information on how your Ionic tracks floors, which may help.

@Okina1979 Sorry to hear that your Ionic is continually rebooting. Have you successfully finished the FW update? If so, I recommend performing a factory reset as @SunsetRunner recommended, here

@Scoobz7 @Davem10 Great to hear that you are all set up! Robot Happy

@Cyclonetog @JbNorris Thanks so much for the feedback! I will be sure to forward this information to our team. 

@BLISSFULLYVEXED @paparcc Sorry to see that you are still having some trouble. I've gone ahead and reached out to our support team on your behalf so we can dig a little deeper into what might be happening. They will be in contact with you via email in the next 48 hours. 

@SunsetRunner @USAF-Larrry @JohnPerry Thanks again for the assistance! 

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

I continue to receive an error when attempting to update my Ionic tracker. I have followed all instructions and trouble-shooting to the T. Please help as it will not let me upload any data until the update is completed!!!

Best Answer

I check my old HR data.

I was using Blaze for 2 years and my Exercise, daily Exercise Peak is about 150-160bpm.

Last November, I purchased Ionic and data shows peak as 200bpm.

I was hoping this New Firmware will fix HR Accuracy, but there is no improvement.

That is why I fed back this issue.  Please makes ure to fix HR at least Blaze Level.

I cannnot rely Ionic's Heart Rate Measuremetn at all.

Blaze HR Data was a little off from Treadmil HR Measurement but it was acceptable level.

Ionic's HR easuremet is way off.  I tried to make tight fit on my wrist and changing position, but no improvement.  It is so obvious how away for accurate measuremetn once I start running with Ionic.

Please make sure to fix with upcoming New Firmware. 

I hope Fitbit will do right and proper evaluation before releasing the New Firmware.

Please please improve Fitbit Products better and better than backward!!! 

Best Answer

@Lauscherwrote:
Haltet alle das Maul ich will eure Mails nicht mehr !

Idioten !

@Lauscher der Sinn und Zweck eines Forums, ist, sich gegenseitig auszutauschen. Wenn man zu blöd ist, die Benachrichtigungsoptionen zu ändern, sollte man vielleicht lieber still bleiben anstatt ausfallend zu werden.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the update!

I'm sorry if I'm /waaaay/ behind on updates, but does this update (or any earlier one that I may have missed) fix the bug where the step count would go up even if the Ionic was sitting somewhere with zero vibration? I had been just using my Pebble TS for a while and was considering switching back to my FB Charge until the bug was fixed. Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Network not found, use Bluetooth. Bluetooth, system error 18. 

Hasnt synced since last night. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am so fed up with the issues I have experienced with Ionic. Since day one after charging it loses sync, have to remove it from Bluetooth, delete it from app and then set it all up again manually. Have had this watch since Christmas and still no fix. Time to move on. Would not recommend this watch to anyone!

Best Answer

I’ve had zero problems with Fitbit products until this. I’m ready to take this back. Right now it’s a little brick on my arm. Never been so frustrated with one of these

Best Answer