Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware release - 27.31.1.29

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi all!

I am super excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 1.2! (Firmware Version: 27.31.1.29)

We've begun to roll out this new firmware to 10% of Ionic users. This is a progressive rollout, and all Ionic users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. This firmware update includes:

Feature update:

What’s fixed:

• We fixed an issue where some customers’ clocks didn’t update after switching time zones.
  • We fixed an issue where some customers experienced syncing issues after interrupting clock face installation.
  • We fixed an issue where some customers noticed the Exercise app crashed after double tapping an exercise.
  • This release also includes bug fixes and stability improvements.

Click here to view our Fitbit OS help article!

Instructions for updating your Ionic can be found here.

I would also recommend updating your Ionic over Wi-Fi as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Ionic, I can also recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback on the latest release. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know! 

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
447 REPLIES 447

@JimNY Welcome to the Fitbit family! That is very strange. Thanks for reporting this regarding the life of your Ionic's battery and for trying the tips to maximize it. 

How are you charging your Ionic? I'd recommend waiting until the battery is almost completely drained and then fully charging it. Make sure it reaches the 100 % battery life (full battery). Then, check how many days it last. Battery life depends a lot on usage so if you are using too many apps or downloading too many clock faces, that could be. Also, constant use of GPS will drain the battery faster.

@shipo @N8teGee Thanks for your awesome help on this thread! Smiley Very Happy

@fun321 Welcome to the Fitbit forums! I'm glad to hear that customer support was able to detect the root cause of this and that you are now receiving a replacement! Make sure to follow these replacement set up steps for you to not loose any of your previous data once you receive your new device.

@HasseH It's great to see you in the Fitbit Community! I'm glad to hear that it is now syncing fine after connecting to Wi-Fi. Please check this article regarding notifications being delayed. I'm sure this could help you out.

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

Just got an Ionic today -- failed to update over wireless so have to go Bluetooth,  It's been two hours so far and not half done yet.  Seriously considering returning this already.

Best Answer

Don't return it. Bluetooth is slow, but it works, and so does the tracker.
I love mine.

Moderator edit: removed personal information.

Best Answer
Mine is doing better now, so give it a chance. We had to clear the cache in
the app, uninstall and re-install. Also, had to reset time zone settings.
Seems fine now.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I called customer service for the syncing and notification problem I had. They got it working for now and are supposedly working on a fix so Android phones won’t have a problem in the future. 

I was also told that the new firmware does not support android phones.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Aileen13wrote:

I find it hard to believe that the firmware does not support Android phones - I have an Android 7.0 phone, and it has never had a problem connecting/syncing to the Ionic. I suspect there are a lot of Android phones syncing with the Ionic.

Best Answer

@Aileen13wrote:

😨😨😨 .....well that would explain a lot

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well that's complete bollocks, it's working fine with my Google Nexus 6,
can't get anymore Android than that.🤔
Best Answer

@BLISSFULLYVEXEDwrote:

After installing update, my Ionic is only counting about 2/3rds of my steps.  Any ideas as to why this is?  It is extremely annoying!! Steps are not being counted in GPS run mode, Treadmill activity mode and just normal use.  Everything was fine until the update.

UPDATE: Mar 09, 2018

Received my replacement Ionic yesterday and updated it last night.  Was able to connect to wifi straight away and the update took about 30 minutes to complete.  Since the update, all of my steps seem to be counting correctly.  As an added bonus, every time I have opened the fitbit app to sync, it actually has synced!  It used to take me at least 10 minutes to get it to sync, and that's with restarting Bluetooth numerous times every time I tried to sync.  But now it appears to be syncing as it should.  Will post again if anything changes, but for now I am finally happy with my Ionic.  It would appear that my previous Ionic was just a bad unit and not an inherent Ionic problem.  Thanks to fitbit support for working with me to a resolution!

Best Answer

@Grumpyswife Welcome to the Fitbit family! Thanks for trying to update your Ionic. If you keep experiencing trouble with this; please try the steps on this helpful article. This should help you out for sure.

@JohnPerry @USAF-Larry Thanks for your awesome contribution on this thread! Smiley Very Happy

@TricieTracker I hope you're doing well! Thanks for your contribution on this thread and for sharing that workaround. I'm sure this will be helpful for other users too! @BLISSFULLYVEXED

@Aileen13 I'm glad to hear it is working now for you, thanks for sharing the information provided by support! The Android devices that are supported are found the list of supported devices. Please take a look at it. @Crazy-Fritter @Hendos

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

your timezone fix needs a fix. I got back to New Zealand from Singapore yesterday and it wasn't until today that the time on my IONIC reverted back to NZ time. Mentioning it on this forum also resulted in an avalanche of unrelated forum spam. It sadly seems that more is broken than is fixed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since the firmware update I can't swipe.  Without swiping I can't get to settings to restart it.  The left button takes me to the wallet but even holding it down for 10 seconds doesn't hard reset it.  Any other suggestions?  I tried uninstalling the wallet and that didn't work.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

Before this update, I used to be able to flip my wrist towards my chest and my fitbit ionic would light up and I see the time. Now nothing happens and I have to literally push the button to look at the time.. .What happened?

Best Answer
0 Votes

on the clock menu swipe it LEFT  and select "Screen Wake" Auto

@Umgijimiwrote:

Hi,

Before this update, I used to be able to flip my wrist towards my chest and my fitbit ionic would light up and I see the time. Now nothing happens and I have to literally push the button to look at the time.. .What happened?

Best Answer

@SantiR, will the Ionic be getting FitbitOS 2.0 prior to the Versa release?  I mean, after all, we have kinda been the beta testers/guinea pigs for the software development team.

Best Answer

@patdude Welcome to the Fitbit family! Thanks for your feedback on the time zone. To make the process of changing time zone faster, you can manually do so on the Fitbit app. Just open the app, go to "Account", then go to "Advanced Settings", and change the time zone to the correct one. Also, please check this article about traveling with your Fitbit for more details and helpful information. 

@LaurelN It's great to see you in the Fitbit Community! Thanks for reporting this. I just want to make sure you are doing the right steps in order to restart Ionic. Please check the steps here and perform them.

@Umgijimi Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Thanks for your interest on the Quick View feature. It was probable disabled for some reason. Please swipe your Ionic's screen to the left and you will find an option that says "Screen Wake". Please enable it for the screen to light up every time you flip your wrist. 

@SunsetRunner Thanks for your awesome help on this thread! Smiley Very Happy

@BeRoyalKC I hope you're doing well! Thanks for your question. The Versa Board is live now, it went to light today. Still no news on Ionic OS 2.0 or anything alike. Will let you know once there are updates available. 

See you around! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got the update without even noticing and didn't have any problems, but then my phone died the other night and ever since my Ionic won't sync with my Fitbit.

I never had any problems previously, and have followed every single step in the help article to fix with zero luck.

I've reset the Ionic, the app, cleared the cache, etc.

The app won't let me access Wifi settings (just sits in the blue circle of loading death).

Anyone have suggestions? This is incredibly frustrating. Why pay $300 for something that just isn't going to work after an update...grrr...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm glad you feel comfortable with your Ionic, I can not say the same because I come from Polar, a professional product that had only the limit of the battery and when I switched to Ionic, I found cardiac values ​​far from reality and therefore a useless consumption calculation.

I do not complain about the problems of synchronization or loss of values ​​during sleep, I think this can be remedied with some updates, the real problem "in my opinion" the absolute lack of compatibility with cardio bluetooth bands .. this is really absurd .. .. How can a company like Fitbit appeal to fitness and have the presumption that only 1 LED (easily unstable) can guarantee such reliability?
Who makes "dynamic" sport, and brings heartbeats to variable and extreme values, such as kickboxes or circuits that push the heart in a heavy way, needs an immediate response as the cardio band can do that of alert if it exceeds the bpm allowed for the biological age ...

For this reason I continue to argue that Fitbit's IONIC is not suitable for fitness and there are no links to articles or advice that solve, the only intelligent consideration that can be done, is to make it compatible (always with the limits to inexperience of caloric calculation to these values)

(forgive my translation, English is not my mother tongue)

Best Answer

English may not be your 1st language,  however you could not have said it better. I have not had the sync issues,  as long as you just use blue tooth and forget wifi   but its  the monitor that simply does not work, nothing even close to accurate.  I Loved my surge,  it worked really well but the Ionic simply does not.  My plan is to give it a couple months to see if a another firm ware change can fix it, yet I will not hold my breath.  Currently telling every person who asks how I like my ionic.  I am starting to research other brands now for what appears my inevitable switch.    

Best Answer

Good luck to all,of you with your update.  My own Ionic has caused me nothing but syncing issues since the week I had the severe misfortune to buy it.  A significant mistake that I have regretted ever since. As I type this reply I am attempting to sync my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and Ionic and have been trying to do so for the past hour.  Perhaps I should have bought a Garmin. 

Best Answer
0 Votes