Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware release - 27.31.1.29

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi all!

I am super excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 1.2! (Firmware Version: 27.31.1.29)

We've begun to roll out this new firmware to 10% of Ionic users. This is a progressive rollout, and all Ionic users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. This firmware update includes:

Feature update:

What’s fixed:

• We fixed an issue where some customers’ clocks didn’t update after switching time zones.
  • We fixed an issue where some customers experienced syncing issues after interrupting clock face installation.
  • We fixed an issue where some customers noticed the Exercise app crashed after double tapping an exercise.
  • This release also includes bug fixes and stability improvements.

Click here to view our Fitbit OS help article!

Instructions for updating your Ionic can be found here.

I would also recommend updating your Ionic over Wi-Fi as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Ionic, I can also recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback on the latest release. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know! 

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
447 REPLIES 447

Hey everyone! 

Just wanted to jump in here to thank you all for taking the time to update your Ionic to Fitbit OS 1.2. 

After reading through your comments, I can see that some of you were successful in updating your Ionic, while others were not as successful. 

@AusieGirl @OggieHocky @bIonicman Sorry to see that you weren't able to get updated. I would definitely recommend following the steps detailed in this article to ensure your Ionic is properly connected to your Wi-Fi network.  

I would also recommend making sure you are connected to our home Wi-Fi, rather than a work or public network. If you are still having issues connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi, I would follow the troubleshooting steps detailed, here

For those of you who are unable to update via Wi-Fi, you do have the option of updating via Bluetooth. However, I do have to advise that this method will increase the time it will take to finish the update. 

If you are having any issues when attempting to update via Bluetooth, there are some great troubleshooting steps detailed in this article to help the process. 

@Swdecord @Hendos You can see what was included in this release by following this link to my initial post. 

@MikeGn @Blackperl Thanks for your suggestion to add Unicode support to Ionic.

As @OlegM suggested, I would recommend casting a vote for this feature suggestion, as this is the best way for our team to gauge interest in adding new features to Ionic. 

@BubbaJojo @Jim-LaQuinta Sorry to hear that your Ionic is no longer syncing. I could recommend following each of the troubleshooting steps detailed in this article. This should help to get your device syncing with Ionic again. 

@Fern_23 Google changed its permission requirements beginning with Android OS 6.0 (Marshmallow). As a result, the locations permission is necessary to sync your tracker with your Android device. For more information, check out this article

@USAF-Larry @Ozzie65 @Jnesbitt82 @USAF-Chandler @SunsetRunner Thanks so much for taking the time to provide your troubleshoots. Your assistance is truly appreciated! 

I will continue to monitor this thread as we roll out this OS update to more users. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know! Robot Happy

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
May I suggest if you can’t update via home WiFi, why not set up your devices WiFi Hotspot for your Ionic. The real bottleneck is the Bluetooth sync bandwidth, so your phone WiFi should work as well as any other, although it may consume your mobile data.

It would be useful to know how big the update is MattFitbit to know how viable an option this would be.
Best Answer

My update took around 25mins. Keep watch plugged into mains power and charged phone close. Make sure both are close to your router too.

Enderman
Best Answer

Just updated very smoothly and successfully in around 20 minutes, with tracker on charge and connected to Windows 10 app. Will post if I encounter any issues.

Best Answer

@MattFitbit

who in support can I talk to to get this thing figured out ?

This morning I did talk to Support and did what they recommended, but again it failed after sitting and waiting for 7 hours !!!!!

My Wifi / Internet connection is fast enough to download large amounts of data in a very short time, there is no way this update is so big it needs more then 7 hours to be downloaded.

This is the 4th time I tried this, based on recommendations in this thread, the recommendation in the various articles found on the FitBit web site, as well as Support, but it keeps failing !!!!

I am sick and tired of spending days to get this to work, but no matter what I do, it fails.....

Best Answer

Tested 24 hours

Same problem as before, call notifications cease to work after several hours.

Well, I will keep the fenix 5 I have bought.

Tbh, I was not confident about a fix. Maybe I will give the watch to my wife if she wants it.

Best Answer

I just got my update notice a short while ago.  The Download portion took 10 minutes and the Install took 5 minutes for a 15 minute total.  I used a Samsung S5 phone for the update since it works at a much faster speed than my computer.  The broadband speed at the time was 110 Mbps.

P.S.  I didn't use charger since I had just recharged earlier in the day.  I estimate the update took 3-4% of the battery power.

Best Answer

How can I force this update to occur?? Annoyed that I have to wait for a staged rollout. So stuck with a sub par device.

Very much the last straw of a very flawed device

I have:Ionic. Google Pixel 2 XL. Latest Android 9DP1 OS.
Best Answer

I would only comment that it's been my experience with most products that get firmware updates; it's always staggered rollout.

Jenn Walks / Fitbit Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR / Android / Chrome OS / Windows
Best Answer

Just got my update. It took ~20 min. Everything is ok.

P.S. Of course, no unicode support in notifications yet.

Everyone, please vote for unicode support feature: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/IONIC-Unicode-to-support-languages-Notifications...

Best Answer

Still didn’t fix the issue on the app when you’re in weekly exercises it displays distance and pace instead of calories burned after completing a spin, workout or weights exercise 

Best Answer

Two full days since the firmware update, and no problems encountered so far. Everything has been working normally, and it syncs with the Android app v2.66 without problems. I used the exercise mode both day for Elliptical, and the Ionic did not crash either time, which was very good to see. I hope this was fixed in this firmware update.

Best Answer

Sure wish I could get the update...

Best Answer

Well, the situation got a lot worse tonight.

I spend around an hour with Support to sort this out. Long story short, nothing worked, and ultimately we ended up doing a Factory Reset.

The unit still does not want to connect anymore, not even to my phone, which was working fine so far.

So, the final conclusion is, my unit needs to be replaced ....I ended up getting an E-mail stating if I wanted a new unit, I have to pay 50% of the price, or otherwise I can get the same type unit as a replacement.

I asked if the replacement would be a new unit or refurbished one, and the changes are it will be refurbished.

I paid $300 for this thing, less then 2 months ago. A software updates is being issues, which renders my unit useless, and now I can get a refurbished unit as a replacement or pay $150 to get a new one ?

What ???? This is the worse customer support I have seen in a long time. If you care about your customers you fix this issue, or get a new one out asap. At the moment mine won't work as it will not connect to anything anymore ....great .....

Best Answer

Hi @Bpislife - No worries. Everyone will get the update. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe after @bIonicman’s post I don’t want it now.  Robot tongue

Best Answer

Just noticed the update after work. It took 21 minutes to download and install. No problems encountered.

Used home with and S8 fwiw.

Best Answer

Great to hear, @Mick-bit!

Best Answer

I just updated mine in less than 10 min.  For those that have had trouble, I suggest the following:

1.) Update over WIFI not Bluetooth

2.) Use a COMPUTER instead of a phone

3.) PLUG your Ionic into the computer via the charger

4.) DO NOT close the app or your update will be cancelled.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

Hoping for spotify soon. And some more banks added to fitbit pay.  

Best Answer