Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic GPS stucks at "Connecting" state.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

HI,

i bought Ionic couple of months ago, and was working fine. All of sudden last night i started RUN mode manually which i do every day and GPS was stuck at "CONNECTING" state. GPS connection does not gets established now any more. i have tried to reset and restart ionic but all of no use.

will appreciate if some one comes up with same experience or solution.

Best Answer
53 REPLIES 53
I thought so too!!!
Mine frequently fails to get a GPS location. I started taking my phone with
me as the Fitbit " helpline" says it's due to either cloud cover or being
in a built up area. Interesting that the app on my mobile phone connects
instantly yet the Fitbit on my wrist is still searching after 20minutes!!!
No cloud cover. In the middle of a field. Fitbit Ionic, is it fit for
purpose?
Best Answer
0 Votes

This is a problem of mine too.  The GPS doesn't connect after about three months of use.  I ran into this problem with the Surge, but eventually gave up on it because the Surge was new.  I was hoping the Ionic would have this fixed.  Have you had any luck figuring this out?

Best Answer
0 Votes
No. Still as bad as ever! I shall use it until it dies completely and then
get something other than Fitbit. I notice that after an update the Ionic no
longer displays miles per day not stairs. On the app but not my wrist. Also
texts don't show up on the Ionic unless closer than about 10 feet from my
phone. What good is that? Customer Services no help whatsoever.
Best Answer
After the update it is better but takes time to connect in the beginning.
Even on the open roads while riding or running it shows connecting
sometimes.
I have no more hope of improvement and not complaining any more
Best Answer

I have had the same problem with my Ionic. And IF it ever does connect to GPS is wildly overstating the distance.

On a regular route of exactly seven miles, Fitbit app on phone and Map My Run both record to within  0.1 miles. Ionic on the wrist makes it nearly ten miles. That's ridiculous. All the help team can say is reset!!! 

Is it fit for purpose?

Best Answer
My Ionic gets stuck in GPS connecting in the middle of run in open air or
road.
Best Answer

Hi JT & mummy-pig, are you using a third-party watch strap? If so, change it with the original fitbit one and retry. 

I was having the same problem and discovered it was the metal connector from the strap to the watch body. Put the original strap back on and now I'm good.

Hope it helps.

JP

Best Answer

Same issue happens to my Fitbit Ionic!!  I'm SO frustrated with this Fitbit!!  I run the same routes - 10km every route - 4-5 times a week.  I can be guaranteed my Fitbit will lose connection at some point during my run.  Sometimes it quickly reconnects - other times not at all.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

You, sir, are remarkable!

Thanks heaps for observing the connection between the use of a stainless band and the inability to receive a GPS signal.

I've been using a metal band as well and had zero luck in getting a GPS signal today (had not needed it before today). As soon as I disconnect one side of the metal band, the GPS signal is received very quickly. An initial attempt to isolate one end against the watch did not work, but I'll perhaps make some other attempts (such as using a layer of nail polish for complete insulation). Perhaps it is also the magnetic clasp that is causing the interference when it is in a certain position; however, based on my experiments, having a closed loop determined whether the GPS signal reception worked or not.

Using the original band is a workaround for now.

Thanks so much!

P.S.: Sadly, this problem source is not mentioned anywhere on the official Fitbit solution pages.

Best Answer

Cheers FitmanFit,

I had previously asked for this to be added to the Fitbit Support KnowledgeBase so they can ask this question when troubleshooting the Ionic. I guess they haven't done it yet (too bad). 

Thanks for the comment.

J

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also suffered from the problem that the GPS of the Ionic cannot be connected.

My watch was a gift from my brother, with a metallic straps. It was told working. However, the GPS never work for me.

I had searched over the internet for weeks, including this post. However, it did not work for me.

Suddenly I got gut feeling that the metallic strap may interfere with the GPS signal some how. I searched again with keywords”gps ionic fitbit metallic strap”. Eventually I’ve found a post, suggested the same idea.

https://www.amazon.com/AiiKo-Stainless-Replacement-Comfortable-Adjustable/dp/B0773B1SK2

So, I brought myself an ordinary plastic strap and swapped with the metallic one. And, the GPS worked like a charm.

So, for anyone who suffered from this problem, do double check if is using a metallic strap.

And, I also doubt if the Ionic is worn near metallic accessories/bracelet, that may also interfere to the GPS.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having same problems but appeared after recent update. Not happy and Fitbit support telling me problem is pending with thier technical dept. Tried resetting factory reset and removing from app etc. Pretty dissapointed. If this does not get solved then going to a more reliable brand with better support. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi
I have shifted to Garmin forerunner which is more reliable and not a single
negative feedback. It's app is much better and faster. Watch screen can be
configured in multiple display options.
Best Answer

I had intermittent GPS and more importantly, the IONIC stopped mapping runs. I went to the forums and tried everything. I tried Samsung phones and an Apple phone. No Joy - the GPS signal would not hold steady and maps would not show. I trawled forums and tried everything on the Fitbit Forums. Just before throwing the watch out, I on a whim decided to take the band off and go for a run. Everything is back to normal. Ionic watch straps do not last long - so I got a third party band (specifically a metal dress band). This was when the problem started.

I then order the traditional plastic strap and put that on. Again everything worked fine. 

I suspect that if your watch stopped tracking and you swapped your band recently - take your band off put the watch face in your pocket and go for a run. Then go out and buy a different strap.

Best Answer
0 Votes