Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic GPS tracking map not showing up in Fitbit exercise log app.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Just got the new Ionic and tried the GPS which connected during a short walk. 24 min later I finished, synced and looked into the exercise log for the day and it showed up but no GPS info or map of my walk. any ideas what i may have left out or did wrong? I started the walk using Ionic and GPS was connected, just doesn't show any GPS stats or map of the walk, only general stuff you would see if NO GPS was used.      Thanks!

Best Answer
25 REPLIES 25

@Raygold, it sounds like the Walk exercise mode was not actually started & stopped for the walk.  When you opened the Walk exercise icon, did you get the GPS connected in the upper lefthand corner, and then press the start arrow on the bottom righthand corner?  As soon as you pressed the start arrow the screen should have shown the timer starting. When done with the walk, pressed the Pause and then Finish/End to see all of the stats?

Best Answer
0 Votes

yep it was started and stopped with GPS connected, and went for another walk later tonight over a mile and it shows the exercise logged but no GPS data was entered. is there something on the fitbit phone app that needs to be configured? if I use the fitbit phone app GPS the exercise gets entered as well as the map to the route I walked. but using the watch GPS connected, doesn't get logged as a GPS exercise.

Best Answer

Confirmed, again.  Using the Fitbit app and the phone's GPS, it will log the exercise in the Fitbit app with map of the route and extra info. Using Ionic to start/stop the exercise with GPS connected, it will not log the mapped route or GPS info. My old Charge 2 using the phone GPS would log it even if I made 1 step and stopped. Anybody else having issues with logging their exercises in the Fitbit app? Could it be a configuration in the Ionic or phone app?

I also see that in the exercise log it logged run #1. I waited until it showed up in the log then ran again and it combined run #2 with run #1 for one big run.......any idea on that???

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Raygold, the only settings that affect in the phone app are in the device Exercise Shortcuts, where GPS can be enabled/disabled.  Since the GPS is built into the Ionic, it does not rely on the phone app to record exercises.  Check the app settings to ensure the GPS is enabled -

Screenshot_20171010-200420.png

Screenshot_20171010-200429.png

I did a short walk this afternoon using the Ionic Walk Exercise with GPS, and it mapped the walk very accurately:

Walk.jpg

Best Answer

yeah, I checked those settings and all are on for walk/run/bike. ionic says it connected but just doesn't show the mapped route or GSP info in the exercise history.  Any idea why it will combine 2 exercises together into 1 big exercise?

Best Answer

Almost the same problem. I used gps for tracking a short run. I sow the map in fitbit app. After i signed off from app and sign in again the maps where out..I can see only a empty square ...

Best Answer

Screenshot_20171021-155615.png

Best Answer

@Rad0 wrote:

Almost the same problem. I used gps for tracking a short run. I sow the map in fitbit app. After i signed off from app and sign in again the maps where out..I can see only a empty square ...

I also had this happen, with the empty square. 

I totally closed out the Fitbit app and reopened it. Maps showed up. Seems like a software glitch. 

Best Answer

*** UPDATE *** So after days of testing here's what i found out. The GPS is working on the watch. what's happening is that when I manually start an exercise with or without GPS it will not download it to the weekly exercise Fitbit app. The only thing that shows up in the weekly log is whatever it detects through the "Auto Recognize Exercises" option. if I turn off the "auto recognized exercises" option then it will not show the exercise in as ever been done. So....the question is if I do a "factory reset" on the watch, will it fix it and/or will it break something else that is working???

Best Answer

I am having the same issue. I can’t get any details on exercises in the iPhone app at all, I have to go to Fitbit.com in a browser to even get the details and there are no maps.

Best Answer

I'm having the same issues. So frustrating. I've checked all settings over and over and everything is as it should be--map and run stats still don't come up. Ran a half marathon Sunday and wish I just wore my Garmin. I love the Garmin, but was looking for a smart watch and also liked the auto detect workout function as well as ability to store music. I have an android phone. If anyone has some other ideas as to what could be happening they would be very welcome!  Expected a lot more from a fitbit.

Also ordered a band that was supposed to ship beginning of October and just got notification that it's pushed to end of November. Kinda disappointed all around right now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Something similar just happened to me today, I was trying out the interval mode on a run.  I used the Interval mode, and switched on GPS for intervals.  I saw GPS connect, took off down the road.  The GPS seemed to disconnect at some point and I lost the little satellite dish.  I synced workout to app, work out stats show up, but the "map" is an empty box with spinning wheel.  I don't know what happened, but the best way I can describe it is that GPS connection crashed, and map not available in app after syncing workout.  

Best Answer

@jenjen0130 wrote:

Ran a half marathon Sunday and wish I just wore my Garmin. I love the Garmin,

Can I ask which Garmin you have? I just returned my ionic today and I’m looking at Garmin. 

Best Answer

@KarenLeah wrote:

@jenjen0130 wrote:

Can I ask which Garmin you have? I just returned my ionic today and I’m looking at Garmin. 

Hey @KarenLeah I have the Garmin Forerunner 235. I have it in teal, which is a nice color (https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/garmin-forerunner-235-gps-hrm-watch-16gmnufrrnnr235wrtchxx/16gmnu...). If you are looking for a running watch I highly recommend. Never failed me and long battery life. It's not a touch screen and it's very sporty looking. I actually wouldn't mind if I could change the bands for work.  You get awesome stats on your runs too. Went in the pool with the kids a few times over the summer and it held up as well. 

I can't seem to find a smartwatch with the running capability of the Forerunner that doesn't look so masculine. 😔

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jenjen0130 wrote:

@KarenLeah wrote:

@jenjen0130 wrote:

Hey @KarenLeah I have the Garmin Forerunner 235. I have it in teal, which is a nice color (https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/garmin-forerunner-235-gps-hrm-watch-16gmnufrrnnr235wrtchxx/16gmnu...). If you are looking for a running watch I highly recommend. Never failed me and long battery life. It's not a touch screen and it's very sporty looking. I actually wouldn't mind if I could change the bands for work.  You get awesome stats on your runs too. Went in the pool with the kids a few times over the summer and it held up as well. 

I can't seem to find a smartwatch with the running capability of the Forerunner that doesn't look so masculine. 😔

Thank you so much for your input. This is the Garmin I am actually looking at LOL! Did you know there are bands on Amazon that you can switch out. Just search Garmin 235 bands and a ton of 3rd party ones will pop up. 

Thanks again! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So here the question..... will a factory reset or re-install fix this problem and what will it break after it’s done?  Who’s tried a factory reset with good results on fixing “exercise loggin”?

Best Answer

Hi Raygold,

Did you manage to solve the problem? If it is so, how did you solve it? I am having the exact same issue with my Ionic. Smiley Sad

Best Answer
Nope, didn’t solve it. Through the forums I have seen that the map not showing up and or GPS tracking fully crashing has been an issue for others as well. Don’t know if any fix, other than hoping a firmware update kills some bugs. But have not seen a date for firmware update, only that it is being worked on.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I'm having the same problem ..i track with fitbit but when I look at the map it's just a dot.but strava tracks it find...so should I ry turning off my phone GPS?.my fitbit surge never had this problem

Best Answer