Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Losing GPS signal after 2 hours

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This is a recurring issue.  After about 2 hours regardless of visibility / direct path to satellites, the gps signal starts to get lost eventually leading to perma “connecting”.  

The stupid thing is if I end the activity.  Then restart a new one, the gps signal immediately reconnects and I can record another 2 hours.

I have WiFi on, the watch is paired with my phone.  It is up to date.  I have reset the unit multiple times.

Using the gps to track activities is the ONLY reason I got the Ionic.  I am pretty disappointed with this.  

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

Welcome back @Roughster. Thanks for the details mentioned and I appreciate the troubleshooting tried. 

I would like you to confirm that you've restarted your Ionic. Before starting an activity, make sure it finds GPS signal. 

Keep in mind that, Fitbit Ionic has built-in GPS. When you select a GPS exercise, Ionic vibrates when it finds a GPS signal. Environmental factors including tall buildings, dense forest, steep hills, and even thick cloud cover can interfere with your watch's ability to connect to GPS satellites. 

Keep me posted. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Roughster even for shorter activities it happens. Today, it took my Ionic 12 minutes to connect ( it was "searching..." ). This way I had lost track of nearly half of my lunch run:

FitbitSuunto

It happens occasionally to me so I may be luckier than other users but it still does happen. I reset the watch in the morning ( became a habit due to issues with syncing ). Suunto connected instantly, Ionic after approximately 12 minutes.

Same trees, same buildings, same weather, same clouds, same time, only the watches different and so it happens that only one struggles with GPS connection.

When you see that Ionic is struggling with the connection you may restart the tracking and usually, it connects right away. This is what I usually do if it takes longer than 20-30 seconds - stop, retry. This time I noticed it too late so didn't bother to restart as anyway I was already almost halfway through. I don't know any other way of establishing the connection, there is nothing else you can do as a user.

Best Answer
0 Votes