Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic: Returned and my reasons why

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Today, I moved back to my Surge. I don't want to bash the Ionic. I wanted to share my findings and reason I returned it. My biggest concern is that the issues below won't be resolved via a Software Update by the time my 45 days are up to return the device.

1. Many apps just don't work (eg Weather App) or work properly

2. Device won't come on when I flick my wrist

3. Unable to adjust display time-out

4. The method to get Music to the device is unreliable and painfully slow

5. The display is smaller than I realized, bezels entirely too large, I can't read some of the text (too small)

6. Sync fails over and over

7. Clock Faces rarely work

There are more reasons, but I already come across as entirely too picky.  If these items are improved in the next generation, I'm placing an order I will keep. I couldn't risk most of these not ever getting fixed. Especially for this kind of money.

Best Answer
20 REPLIES 20

I actually agree with a lot of this. Weather app is useless! Hardly works even worse is the fact it’s just Fahrenheit. 

Display not coming on is another bugbear- only seems to work if you do a full arm motion.  

Finally the scratch proof glass isn’t scratch proof!!!

Best Answer

@Bauer24 wrote:

Finally the scratch proof glass isn’t scratch proof!!!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FJSTH8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best Answer

Have you got your distance setting as miles? If you change this to km then this will change the weather app to Celsius. I understand that the next firmware will allow separate selection of Celsius//Farenheit.

Andrew
Best Answer
0 Votes

Some would like to be able to select both miles and Celsius. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

why people are so urged to purchase a beta version of new harware, and after, complain it's not working ?

that was the same when people swapped to Windows Vista, and complain it was not working.

I managed more than 100 computers running Vista, some months later, without problems.

i will wait a couple of years before replacing my Surge.

thanks to beta-customers. (or idiot-customers ?)

Best Answer
0 Votes

But you agree with me,that you shouldn’t need it 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The surge is less than a 0 , I love Fitbit but I had mind replaced 2 , 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have had NONE of these issues. 

Really enjoying the NEW IONIC!

Keep up the great work & superb customer service FitBit. 

Happy customer since 2010 🙂

Best Answer

So am I - I was an early adopter of the Basis Peak (sadly demised) and a lot of the features people wanted were added  over a three month period so I and others looked forward to each update and felt engaged in its development.  Similar situation here.... Unless you have a hardware / software fault which needs a replacement give Fitbit a break and see how it is performing after Christmas.

Andrew
Best Answer

No issues here. Not coming off unless needing to charge.. or clean..

Have Fun Heart

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have just had my ionic a couple of days and after reading some posts like this, i guess I must count myself lucky.

I signed up for Pandora and it did take quite a bit of time to download the station I had created, but I dont expect it to be lightning fast.

I have not added any payment cards in and to be honest I am leary of the security right now. maybe at a later date.

This might sound crazy, but I live in the Seattle area and I just dont do Starbucks so yeh dont need that app.

My weather app seems to be working fine and i have had no issues with it.

I just sat here and slowly turned my wrist quite  a lot of times and every time the screen came on, so once again am I really just lucky?

I have had a Blaze for 10 months and what I like about the ionic is that the Bezels are there to help protect the edges of the Ionic face. My Blazed has a GAP on the top and bottom edges for which over time the edges show some wear and tear.

I do have to agree with you when you look at the words on the screen they are small and hard to read, but I still can with my eyes.

I also have not had any issues syncing it to the app and I have an android phone.

Like I said I wonder if I am just one of the lucky ones. I am sure and almost expect that there would be some models that came out with issues like the ones I have read. The only thing to say about that is that Fitbit should honor quality standards and realise they need to take care of the customer. You cannot say that 100% of the Ionics that you produced are perfect, cause that just cannot be possible.

Best Answer

I am returning mine also.  Because of #6 and #4   Unbelieveable - continually disconnects while trying to download music.  So over it.

Best Answer

I picked up mine in Oct 2017. Love it so far. Fitbit Pay works like a charm. Music download to the device is PAINFULLY slow. Agree with that one. But I do stream music off the watch at the gym.

One issue I am having is when I change clock faces, the silent alarms fail to work the next day.

Other than that, the device works as expected.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I bought the Urbanears plattan woreless Bluetooth headphones. Can’t get it to sync. I also noticed that it won’t let me sync my Spotify it wants me to get a subscription to Pandora. Can I change it to Spotify? So far this Fitbit is requiring more work and money then I expected. Not impressed with Ionic so far. Nothing syncs with anything and I’m not changing my music subscription just to have it on my Fitbit. Anyone else having issues?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with most if not all of these observations. I thought my music was going to play from my wrist. Chucked out the money for woreless headphones and I still can’t sync them let alone it requires Pandora and I use Spotify. I don’t believe the steps are accurate at all. I’ve adjusted my stride three times and there is just no way I’m that low in steps I walk everywhere! The weather app sort of works. But still you pay that kind of money you want every new feature to work. I think I’ll be returning mine too. I had a Charge HR and loved that. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

why people are so urged to purchase a beta version of new harware, and after, complain it's not working ?

I'm not sure about anyone else, but my box didn't say "Beta Version" anywhere on it.

It's one thing to knowingly elect to participate in a beta testing or development effort. When you choose to do that, it can be fun and educational. On the other hand, when you buy a product off the shelf that has been marketed as a finished, consumer-ready product, (because you're interested in getting a working product, not a work in progress that you're expected to help test) and then it simply doesn't do what it's supposed to and/or is so buggy that it's clearly not ready for primetime, I think you should have the right to complain without people commenting that you should have known better.

Best Answer

No place was the Ionic advertised as “Beta” or I would never have purchased it.. just sayin it wasn’t obvious.

Best Answer

Guys, the competition is not sleeping : Garmin Forerunner 645

Best Answer
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes