Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Setup Checklist

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Everyone -- I really appreciate your candid feedback on your setup experience. 

After reviewing this discussion, I want to provide tips to help you setup your shiny, new Ionic successfully. Please understand that during this process there are certain steps that can take longer, especially the Firmware update, so patience is key. This is the largest firmware we've ever released and contains more data than any of our past Firmware update releases.

During setup, I recommend connecting to a strong personal or work Wi-Fi network that requires a password (public networks like coffee shops or bookstores should be avoided). If you're not connected to strong Wi-Fi connection or using Bluetooth, the process can take as long as 2 hours or more. So please make sure your Wi-Fi connection is strong. 

With that being said, let's get you setup!

Setup checklist

1. Start by making sure your device meets the requirements
  2. Un-pair all Fitbit trackers in Bluetooth settings (if any are listed under devices in BT settings)   
  3. Remove all Fitbit trackers from your Fitbit account (If any other Fitbit trackers are setup to your account already)
  4. Turn Bluetooth off/on
  5. Perform a factory reset on Ionic (tap on Settings/ tap on About/ tap on Factory Reset)
  6. Restart your device (phone or computer)
  7. Plug-in Ionic to charge somewhere close to your internet router
  8. Go through the setup process (instructions start on page 9 of the manual) 

What if setup still doesn't work? 

Try giving it another shot. Follow the instructions above and if you get stuck, please tell me where in the process Ionic stalled.

I want to acknowledge everyone's contribution to this discussion and express appreciation for bearing with us through some of the hiccups. We're always striving to improve our product and observe user sentiment and feedback to make improvements where necessary. Rest assured that future firmware and app updates will be released incrementally to address issues experienced by users.   

Lastly, I welcome you to continue sharing your experiences here and provide as much insight as you can. My hope for all of you is a successful setup so you can start reaching your health and fitness goals with help from Ionic!  

Best Answer
345 REPLIES 345

Welcome to the bleeding edge. No manufacturer is different, here. Not Apple, not Microsoft, not Google, not Samsung, not LG... and the list goes on. Not saying it's right, but it is what it is; have some patience or stick with last-gen electronics. 🙂 I haven't tried the wallet app, yet, but it's hardly a priority for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok I found my issue was the router, I have no idea why but I changed my router to an older one I had (Belkin) and it now works!! I had no issue with my technicolor router with any other devices connecting but it did not like the Fitbit ionic 😠

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you get watchfaces options and calendar on your NZ one? I don’t even seem to have anything on the software that lets me do either of these? The wallet thing is supposed to be working here - was a Scoop release from VISA on it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would HAPPILY have stuck with (ahem) last gen, but Fitbit bought Pebble and killed off a very functional $150 smart watch to clear the decks for this disfunctional paperweight.

Best Answer

At twice the price, so it should. The app wasn’t working, so only had the first page fitness drek. Now the teeny tiny green blob is taking me to the main page, so have access to the faces.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm ready to give up on this.....

i tried last night and all this morning to setup my ionic.

i have an issue that it won't accept my email address as i had another fit bit account attached to it and i had deleted that fitbit from my account.

i have an error message com.fitbit.HTTPerror 0.

i can't find a phone number to contact fitbit support.

it doesn't connect to my home wifi

not sure what to do... HELP

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you have another email address you could use to create a 2nd, "clean" account, I recommend you try that to get your Ionic setup and running. (I don't work for Fitbit; I'm just throwing out ideas.)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Getting rid of it, dont want have to put up with this crap. Should not even be hard to connect. This i think was rushed out broken. I could put up with some features not working till fixed, but not with it not even connecting is a breaking point.

Dont think i will be recomnending this to anyone and we should all vote with our voice and actions and return it for a refund. Should not have to put up with this crap.

I would have been happy if it connected to my phone, but wont evrn connect with bluthooth or even find any wifi.

Never seen a product so broken and was clearly rushed out to try and compete with the same priced Garmin vivoactive 3 which for the same price as the ionic getting over twice the features and more onscreen details

Best Answer

My advice mate, get a refund. His fitbit is broken out of the box

Best Answer

Going on 6 hours and still cannot get it to connect to my computer. The Ionic is connected via Bluetooth to my computer and to my wi-fi but the Windows Fitbit app says it cannot locate the tracker. 

Had no problems connecting/syncing with my iPhone but I was really excited about loading music on the watch and not having to take my phone with me on my walks. I want so badly to put it in the box, send it back and save up for the Apple Watch. Going to give it another try tomorrow and then I am done. So sad. I loved my Blaze and thought this would be an excellent upgrade but it looks like they rushed it out too soon. I always expect some bugs on new technology but if I cannot even connect to the computer then that is a deal breaker. 

Edited to add: I am also disappointed in the limited number of banks for the payment function. I have both Discover and Chase credit cards and neither will work with the watch. Not a reason to send back but I wanted to note this for others since I haven't seen it discussed much yet.

Best Answer

I was terribly stuck with my iMac not recognizing my Ionic for the required step of music transfer.  What I finally figured out after hours and hours of trying, uninstalling, restarting, turning off bluetooth on other devices....is that I think my Aria scale connection was keeping my Mac from recognizing my Ionic.  Once I took the batteries out of my scale, i was able to get the music download to go through.  But, now I have to reset my scale.  Am I going to have to do that every time I want to transfer music? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you have a scale w/ wifi, it might be interfering

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is anything else from fitbit syncing?  When I took the battery out of  my Aria fitbit scale, I could start syncing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have done everything possiable to get my Ionic to sync and nothing helps. I can get through setup and it syncs once then I go about my day and go to synce again and nothing. So I start the process all over again. I have to remove device and start from starch everyday just to get it to sync. Why is this happening??

Best Answer
0 Votes

I discovered the problem with my syncing problems, I think. I go into settings/bluetooth and turn it to pair. My computer sees the watch, syncs and everything is find for a few minutes. When I go back into settings it has defaulted back to off. This happens constantly. Every time I want to sync to the computer I have to go through this set up again. Furthermore, it would not stay paired long enough to transfer any music.

Found another problem that is the final deal breaker. Went for a short walk yesterday with the GPS on. Ionic tracked only 0.49 miles which I knew was not accurate. Checked the Map My Walk app and it had 1.03 miles. Went for another walk today. Used the GPS on the Ionic, the Fitbit app and Map My Walk apps. Both apps on my phone were 1.81 miles but the Ionic showed only 1.01 miles. That is a significant difference IMO. The watch is boxed up and ready for UPS. I'm back in my Blaze for now and I'm looking into the Apple Watches more closely.

Best Answer

So I purchased mine today and I am already regretting spending $450AUD on it and I purchased wireless earphones that are now pointless for me as I only wanted them for the Ionic. I get up to the Wifi part on the Android app, I select the Wifi and put in the password, it accepts it and then the app crashes and the phone is still on the "Go to www.fitbit.com/setup" screen.

I tried to set it up on my Windows 10 laptop, but I get up to just after the wifi part and it can no longer seem to find my Ionic.. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am refering specifically to your 2nd and 3rd point. Does that means I will only be able to use the ionic and have to get rid of my other fitbit's? I have a One and an original Charge watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

100% agree!! I am currently checking the return policy at the store i purchased my Ionic from... the $100 additional for the Apple Watch is looking more & more like an acceptable price to pay!! My patience is gone...

Best Answer

Sent mine back and got the Apple Watch on sale at Fry's with the weekly coupon code yesterday. Paid only $40 more and that is with $28 in taxes that I did not have to pay on Amazon when I bought the Ionic. Love the Apple Watch so far!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ive spent the better part of my day trying to get my New Ionic working. I have never had a device that is so buggy. I will not let fitbit keep my 300 dollars for this poorly made product. I will be returning it to target today. 

Best Answer