Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic, Strava and inaccurate calories and heart rate count

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Since my previous Blaze and even with my current Ionic, my original purpose with Fitbit was to track my calories, steps and sleeping time in order to improve my fitness. However, as I begun cycling seriously about seven months ago, I began using it proactively to track my bike rides and syncing them with Strava.
So far so good. A few months ago I bought a cycling computer, the Wahoo Elemnt, paired with a band heart monitor, the Wahoo Tickr. I used both as the Wahoo Elemnt didn't sync with my Ionic, so I rather preferred to delegate all pertinent data (distance, altitude, speed, gradients, routes, etc) to the Elemnt, while also tracking my heart rate with the Tickr band. This way, my activities were directly uploaded from the Element to Strava, instead of doing it from my Ionic via the Fitbit App as I previously did. As I wanted to keep track of the calories on the Fitbit App, anyways I simultaneously tracked the activity on my Ionic (via Exercise > Bike > Start on my Ionic). 

However, that's where problems began. After every ride, my information was accurately and automatically uploaded from the Elemnt to Strava, but when I synced the Fitbit after the ride, it also uploaded the ride information to Strava automatically. WhiIe I could accept that there were normal discrepancies between both the Fitbit and Wahoo data, the problem was that it created duplicated entries for the same activity in Strava, meaning doubling the distance and thus distorting the performance stats.

My first solution was simple: on Strava, I deleted the posted entry that came from my Ionic. However, I found a serious problem: once I deleted the activity tracked by Fitbit on Strava, the calories tracked on Ionic got slashed on the Fitbit app. In other words: if I delete the activity entry on Strava created from the Ionic data, once I got to Fitbit and synchronized it with my Ionic, the number of calories reported by the Ionic was automatically subtracted from the total calories on the day. That could mean somewhere between 1,000 and 3,000 calories less on a day, depending on the ride's effort. 

That is a serious bummer, especially when you need to keep track of your calories as part of serious training. On a day of 6-hour ride, I can easily burn a total of 6,000 calories. To get 3,000 or 2,000 calories slashed automatically on Fitbit reduces my total calorie burn reported and affects my stats on Fitbit (potentially misdirecting the calorie intake program during the riding season, or during a race). 

The second solution I implemented was to avoid tracking the activity on my Ionic (meaning not to activate the Ionic menu I mentioned before), and leave it alone so the Ionic could report the activity automatically as it detected the motion and heart rate increase in the background. This way I was able to prevent the Fitbit to report any activity to Strava. However, I also realized that the information reported on Fitbit was inaccurate: calories burned and heart rate were substantially lower than those reported by the Wahoo Elemnt and Wahoo Tickr. Just take a look:

1. Information reported by Fitbit (without activating the Ionic to track the ride via Exercise > Bike > Start):

• 1 hour 16 minutes (1'15" in Fat Burn, 1" Cardio)
  • 130 bpm max heart rate, 88 bpm average
  • 1,107 calories burned

1. Information reported by Fitbit (without activating the Ionic to track the ride via Exercise > Bike > Start)1. Information reported by Fitbit (without activating the Ionic to track the ride via Exercise > Bike > Start)

2. Information reported on Strava via Wahoo Elemnt and Wahoo Tickr:

• 2 hours 26 minutes
  • 169 bpm max heart rate, 139 bpm average
  • 1,676 calories burned

2. Information reported on Strava via Wahoo Elemnt and Wahoo Tickr: Look at the Calories and Moving Time.2. Information reported on Strava via Wahoo Elemnt and Wahoo Tickr: Look at the Calories and Moving Time.

2. Information reported on Strava via Wahoo Elemnt and Wahoo Tickr: Look at Max and Avg Heart Rate.2. Information reported on Strava via Wahoo Elemnt and Wahoo Tickr: Look at Max and Avg Heart Rate.

So this is the big issue!! You can see discrepancies are high and I am not sure what to do. I can't get accurate data by activating the Ionic to track and report to Strava directly, but I can't either achieve it by letting the Ionic "as it is" to do the calculations automatically in the background. 

I can infer I am not the only serious cyclist that has gone through the same issues. I've loved Fitbit from more than a couple years ago: the customer service is terrific, the hardware and software are adorable and very simple to use, and the community is great. I don't want to give up on my Ionic, but if there's no proper solution from Fitbit I won't have any other choice but consider moving to another platform.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@CeTroo I moved last December to Suunto. I am not pro-athlete but I care about metrics, too. I don't use wrist HR during cycling but chest strap paired with watch. The reason for that is that it doesn't matter how I wear the watch anymore and I see realtime HR from strap on screen. Wrist HR works well but I need accuracy that only strap can give. I also use bike POD paired with watch so it delivers lot more details ( I am not pro, but I like gadgets 😛 ). With Suunto you can pair third-party sensors which contribute ( my strap is PolarH10 and works like charm with Suunto ). Actually, being able to pair third-party sensors would be a big win for Fitbit in such case in my eyes. I know this won't happen so I looked for something else. I still use Ionic as a support until it dies ( it is almost one year old ).

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

@CeTroo Welcome to the Fitbit forums! Thanks for taking the time to post the situation you are currently experiencing with calories and data tracked with your Fitbit device. Thanks for sharing those pictures and for sharing all of those details regarding this situation.

If you feel Ionic is recording data inaccurately; please restart it. This should refresh its inner system and should help out. You could also try a different wrist placement for your watch so heart rate can be more accurate. Check the wrist placement here

Try this out and let me know how it goes! 

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, and thanks for your suggestions.

I already reseted it; same issue. Wrist placement suggestion is off discussion: I’ve used both Fitbits it in the same non dominant arm, the same way, during almost 3 years, and the issue never happened before. 

What should I do? This weekend I had a couple long rides (+200 kms between both of them, about 9 hours total), and it’s frustrating to have innacurate calorie and heart effort tracking results from my Ionic. At this point this is even becoming a joke among my riding pals, who, no wonder why, are pushing me towards a different fitness tracker.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @SantiR.

I wonder if you have any other suggestion/solution to my issue. 
Thanks,

CT

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CeTroo I'm afraid your friends are right. I've been reporting these issues many times here. Went through customer support which didn't tell me anything else that I already knew. Still, I went with their advice, reset this and that, unpair this and that, turn around on my left foot counter-clockwise, thrown a pinch of salt over my right shoulder and said "please work Ionic" three times in front of the mirror during the full moon. Unfortunately, all of it didn't work 😞 My last Saturday ride:

ride-35km.png

The yellow line is Ionic, the blue line is Suunto with PolarH10 chest strap. The blue line breaks 2 or 3 times due to pause. Ionic keeps recording ( and wastes battery with GPS during paused activity ). There is a region when both are almost overlapping ( ~12-16km ) but that's it. Most of the time Ionic is way off. Moreover, I'm not quite sure what is that flat line at the end. Looks like for ~3km I had constant HR of 167BPM. This isn't even possible! Unfortunately, Fitbit will rather send you for wild goose chase than openly admit there's something wrong here. Also, the advice of keeping Ionic positioned properly during the fast ride... I don't know whether people who say that even realize how dangerous it may be on the road and stopping every few minutes to adjust the band is out of the question for me, too.

Best Answer

Hey, @SunsetRunner thanks so much for your detailed response. Somehow I feel relieved by knowing I’m not alone in this matter. That’s the good part.

The bad part is that, definitely, this level of inaccuracy from my Ionic is becoming a serious deal breaker (not to mention the laughable responses from the support team, not their fault). One of the things you need to do as you evolve on your cycling practice, is accurate tracking and measures. My perception is that apparently Fitbit gets up to certain point only. It could probably work very well for very basic, entry-level tracking, but once you move to a higher level or your needs are a little bit more sophisticated (such as integration with third-party devices and applications), there is precisely were Fitbit falls short in the last mile.... And by far.

Have you considered any other platforms to move on in terms of a more accurate ans easily integrated daily tracker?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CeTroo I moved last December to Suunto. I am not pro-athlete but I care about metrics, too. I don't use wrist HR during cycling but chest strap paired with watch. The reason for that is that it doesn't matter how I wear the watch anymore and I see realtime HR from strap on screen. Wrist HR works well but I need accuracy that only strap can give. I also use bike POD paired with watch so it delivers lot more details ( I am not pro, but I like gadgets 😛 ). With Suunto you can pair third-party sensors which contribute ( my strap is PolarH10 and works like charm with Suunto ). Actually, being able to pair third-party sensors would be a big win for Fitbit in such case in my eyes. I know this won't happen so I looked for something else. I still use Ionic as a support until it dies ( it is almost one year old ).

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner Thanks so much for sharing your experience, and also for letting me know your device choice. I use the Wahoo Tickr strap as well, and it also works smoothly both with my Wahoo Elemnt computer (outdoor rides) and the Tacx Vortex simulator (indoor training). I will look for the Suunto devices, indeed. You're the second person that recommends me their brand!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just found this thread while searching for inaccuracies with fitbit vs other platforms.  I don't own an ionic, just the versa.  I recently started getting into road biking as a way to jump start my fitness goals,  and I'm a gadget nut as well, so I went out and got a Wahoo Elemnt, speed and cadence sensors, and a WAhoo Tickr chest strap.   Everything I read said Chest straps are better, so I figured I'd get one.  

Did  a ~14 mile bike ride with ~600 ft elevation changes the other day, lasted around 1 hour with heart rates >165 (mostly peak around 165-175 most of the ride), and ended up with the Wahoo system claiming ~1001 calories burned.   When I checked the fitbit app, it only said 562 calories.  I know Fitbit can be somewhat off, but after seeing your graphs, that pretty much confirms that Fitbit absolutely SUCKS at heart rate/calorie monitoring.  Every review i found of the wahoo tickr said it comes very close to the industry best (Polar H10), so if the wahoo Tickr is accurate, then Fitbit must be way. off.   Now I'll only be using it for step counting since it clearly can't measure heartrate and caloric burn accurately.  This is sad.

Best Answer

Just let Ionic auto-recognize your exercises and use Wahoo to actually track your ride (and upload to Strava). When done... edit exercise details in the FitBit app and adjust the calories burned to match what Wahoo says. That's what I do... You told my story verbatim.

Best Answer