Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Able to Sync Ionic

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had my ionic for a week tomorrow. Still have not been able to sync it properly and use it. I have talked  to the customer service team multiple times and spent hours trying to trouble shoot with them.

It takes about 2 hours to get it set up. It syncs for about 5 minutes and then disconnects. It then goes back and forth from looking and syncing but never connects.

How long do we need to wait before this gets fixed or they can give some update. I have tried all the trouble shooting including factory reset, etc. Very frustraing.

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject for Clarity

Best Answer
683 REPLIES 683

@GSODI have had the same experience and sometimes out walking... I'm sure Fitbit would put the successes down to, "You are away from your environment of WiFi, many bluetooth devices etc"...

@GSOD wrote:

For what it's worth, my ionic only syncs when I drive. It won't sync at home, in the office or anywhere else but in the middle of the freeway. I think the code is written to sync to the highway vs. information highway 

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

i have same problem tried the re set no good it was actually recording my steps then removed them when i stopped you are right not good enough, i also have only had it a week

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your comments.

I am sorry to say but I have not found any solution of on the sync problem. The last two weeks I have been luck if it have been synced every second day. I am able to sync to my Mac (only have to turn of the BT on my phone first). 

The last couple of days I have also got problem with syncing of the "activities minutes" and "Hourly Activity" that was working before.

I can still return my Ionic to the shop but I want to keep it and hope they will fix all of the issues.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I too want to stay with Fitbit have been with Fitbit since 2012 but had trouble with my Fitbit surge surge . I hope they can sort out the ionic problems they have because outside of that product been okay had no problems loading my music or any other issues till today.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
So far after I used my new cell phone to update my Ionic it seems to sync
with my phone and my laptop whenever I open the Fitbit App. With my previous
Charge HR I never knew when or why it would or would not sync, but I didn't
have a cell phone then, or ever before this.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Best Answer
0 Votes
With my Charge HR sync with my laptop was hit or miss or impossible. When I
got my Ionic I could not update it via my laptop even though recognized and
starting to update. After updating via my cell phone this is my experience.

This morning when I fired up my phone and laptop both synced with the Ionic.
I set it to track a run, in my case a skate ski. Jumped in my car went down
the road a bit took off skiing, finished and came home. Opened up my cell
phone, it synced with my Ionic and also with my laptop without intervention.
They must have fixed something or I'm just lucky. Hopefully they will figure
out solutions to make all possible iterations of use and equipment work with
all of their trackers. I'm happy I gave them a chance. In my case their tech
team contacted me after my complaint and offered solutions that worked for
me.

---
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had my watch now also for a week.  Got it for xmas.  I have had continuous syncing issues.  To a point I drew getting home and having to struggle to get my data off the watch.  I did a lot of comparing between the Fitbit and Apple - and Apple reviews do not have software issues like Fitbit.  

I have followed all the instructions in the help sections - installing, uninstalling, turning watch on and off and turning bluetooth on and off.  I am very disappointed in Fitbit.  What good is the watch if you can't download the data to track progress? 

Best Answer

Had the clock for 3 days. Yesterday it suddenly stopped syncing completely. I removed the fitbit from the app, I paired it again and got it work for 10 minutes. Now it's been 18 hours since my last sync and now I can't even pair my fitbit to my phone anymore. All I get are Bluetooth issues. It keeps telling me to restart bluetooth. Something is very wrong with this app.

Using android btw.

Best Answer

Same again for me this morning, turned on my laptop, Asus G74SX gaming machine, and my IPhone 6 and both synced immediately. Fitbit needs to throw a rope across the sidewalk and have people with their various devices try to use Fitbits as intended with their devices. It is understandable this is difficult issue. But in a mature market people expect things to work right out of the box. We are spoiled by having so many good products to choose from that work and work well immediately. (BTW this is my first cell phone, I'm still struggling with what combination of buttons to push to get it to just turn on without it asking me what I want or if I want to flash purchase something)

As an aside, yesterday playing around with my Ionic I found I could export the tracking data from the Fitbit app and then import the data file into Google Earth creating a path. Just what I envisioned and hoped for many years ago. I'm still happy and impressed, I hope all others stick with it and have as good of an outcome as I have.

Best Answer
0 Votes

ClockWise wrote:

Had the clock for 3 days. Yesterday it suddenly stopped syncing completely. I removed the fitbit from the app, I paired it again and got it work for 10 minutes. Now it's been 18 hours since my last sync and now I can't even pair my fitbit to my phone anymore. All I get are Bluetooth issues. It keeps telling me to restart bluetooth. Something is very wrong with this app.

Using android btw.

Check if you have enabled "always connected" in the fitbit app (in ionic options)

For me, it was what solved my sync problem

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ralendil wrote:

@ ClockWise wrote:

Using android btw.

Check if you have enabled "always connected" in the fitbit app (in ionic options)

Thanks for the input. This setting is enabled. I eventually unpaired my ionic and paired it again and it's been working for the past hour.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I  had the same problem.  I got  mad and  put it  down next to my phone  and  went  to  bed.  The  next morning  it was fixed.  I wish I could  get  the Pandora  music  to  work on it.  I put it down  by phone and went to bed. Lol 

I still  get message  (No output  device). 

@mzahmad55 wrote:

I have been having same issue.  Multiple calls to support.   Im almost at the point of getting an apple watch.  Ive used fitbit for a long time.  But wifi issues. Clock face issues.  And i am on a second ionic so it cant be device.  It has to be firmware.   

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ClockWise wrote:

@Ralendil wrote:

@ ClockWise wrote:

Using android btw.

Thanks for the input. This setting is enabled. I eventually unpaired my ionic and paired it again and it's been working for the past hour.

You want to Disable always syncing. That is what fixes most people. If it loses sync do nothing to the app.. Go into WiFi in your phone settings. Unpaid the ionic.. Turn off Bluetooth then turn it back on. Do nothing else. Do not hit it if you see ionic again just immediately leave settings. The start your fitbit app. You should see it sync within 30 seconds or so. Maybe less. Then immediately turn off the 24 hour sync. It will then sync each time you start the app and you shouldn't have as many issues. If you ever get the error again follow the above. It's a lot easier than setting up the ionic every time. 

Sense, LG V60 Thinq Android 10, Surface Pro Win 10
Best Answer
I'm able to pair up to a B&O Play Beolit 15 2‑Way Portable Speaker ‑ Bluetooth, with music downloaded on my ionic. We don’t have a subscription to Pandora and I don’t know if you can use their free version with the Ionic.

---
Best Answer
0 Votes

Truthfully there is not fix until fitbit does something. Sometimes changing settings works and my ionic will sync but most of the time all the troubleshooting steps do nothing. The app recognizes the ionic and turns green like its connected for 1-2 seconds and then drops out before it can sync. This consistently happens and is a chronic problem for many users. A real fix is NOT currently available (factory reset doesn't work, changing settings ect.) Sometimes the ionic syncs and works perfectly without doing a thing. I will go a day with no sync or connections and wake up the next morning and it works fine for the day then before bed no connection to be found. The bluetooth antenna or the app itself is flawed. I still don't understand that if this were an app problem wouldn't all ionic users be experiencing this? It appears to just be a specific group of us having this issue. Isn't it possible there is just a bad batch of ionics out there? Anyway I'm returning today and either exchanging or grabbing an apple watch if there are any sales. Pretty pissed that fitbit isn't acknowledging a problem! Let us know you are aware and are working on it!

Best Answer
0 Votes
thats exactly what i did. got an apple watch 3. which is amazing, it just works well.

its a shame because i loved fitbit before the ionic….
Best Answer
0 Votes
I don't blame you for your reaction. In my case they did contact me
personally, and that meant a lot, they are making a mistake not reaching out
to all concerned. Companies that don't understand this dynamic will have a
hard time competing in a mature market especially when they are having
difficulties with their product. There is no better way for them to figure
this out but with the data users can supply based on their experiences.
IMHO. Now onto my racing wheel that is exhibiting similar problems to every
ones Bluetooth problems.

---
Best Answer

I actually still feel guilty for ditching fitbit over this. However, I’m now invested in the Apple Watch, excercise history etc. 

I feel like I can’t go back now. 

I did like the ionic when it worked and I could get it to sync. I truly believed that they would have sorted it by the time I got to the point of returning. Alas, it wasn’t so. 

I have a feeling it’s a major hardware issue that can’t be fixed without a recall. 

Otherwise they would have surely updated the software by now?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I doubt it is a bad batch. It is more likely an issue between certain hardware and the fitbit. Especially in the Android worked. It is impossible for Fitbit to test against all of the hundreds of Android phones out there (when you factor in old phones, new phones etc). When you see this list of compatible phones it is usually just the phones it was tested on. That doesn't mean it won't work in others but they were in the test group. Then factor in different hardware and chip sets. Then there are the Windows PC users who refused to upgrade to WIN10 when it was free for whatever reason (not saying some tea so a were not ligit though most were just refusal to adapt to the changes). Even among iOS there are different versions that offer challenges. Generally what companies will do is take the most popular phones and most recent android/windows version and go from there. They may test on a couple earliest versions of android and maybe windows but not always. I think it depends on money and staffing. I mentioned a guitar processor I bought in another thread called Helix.. I bought from the very first batch. I had limited issues because I happened to match the requirements but others were not so lucky. Older windows users had issues. A new apple OS came out and totally hosed Mac users. There were driver issues. Bugs in the interface. Etc. Basically we became beta testers as all the people with various configurations chimed in. Now, over two years later and numerous updates, sometimes a day apart when they accidentally broke something, it is an amazing product with new features added frequently. As another mentioned, smart devices do not have the same life as new products surpass them within a year or two, but I have to hope that frequent firmware updates will be pushed and help those with issues. Maybe it's a dream. Only time will tell. 

Sense, LG V60 Thinq Android 10, Surface Pro Win 10
Best Answer

To BigRalphN...

I hope they fix everything... Cause at 299 dollars and 349 € for europe, if they don't fix, they will loose a lot of customers

Best Answer